Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Too much engine.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by norms30a, Nov 9, 2015.

1. LOL I am not against electric fans I run them often and probably will continue to do so. That said lots of lemmings go over the cliff but there are always a few that don't and they keep the tradition alive. :D

Felpro gaskets for the specific heads are a good idea, you measure the ports and go from there.

For general information if you don't know how much the block has been decked, or how much has been milled off the heads, or if the intake have been, cut for a specific application is it a good idea to run thick gaskets. Gaskets come in thicker from nearly every manufacturer.

I never put sealant on my intake gaskets except around the water ports by the way.

2. norms30a

norms30a

I called Blueprint Engines in Kearney Nebraska and asked them about what intake to use. I figured since they built the engine they ought to know what fits.

What the nice guy at Blueprint said was, Summit recommends the 2101 manifold because it fits under all hoods with out clearance problems, but they do not fit very well and an undersized gasket must be used and very carefully installed or they will leak.
    The guy also said that they test all their 383 engines with a Edelbrock performer rpm 7101 with a Holley 3310s 750 cfm carb. This is not a spread bore intake. The spread bore version of this is Edelbrock performer rpm 7104 for Q jets. This is the intake they at Blueprint recommended for me.
    I ordered this intake today from Speedway motors so it will be a few days before I get it.
    P.S. the guy at Blueprint also said the Fel-Pro 1205 gaskets are exactly right for these heads.

2racer likes this.
  3. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Please let us know how things work out..
    dave

4. Awesome !!!

5. norms30a

norms30a

I finally got my intake manifold from Edelbrock, the differences between the two are many. The (new) one is better built, the openings are much more precise and larger, the edges are more uniform and when I set it on the engine without gaskets I can't slide it side to side so it fits better. The (old) one I could slide side to side quite a bit to touch a head so I think thicker gaskets would have been needed for sure for that one.
    I installed the manifold using the Fel-Pro 1205 gaskets, I was much better able to time it, now the idle timing is 12 degrees and full advance is about 32-34 degrees.
    I can now idle it down to 900 rpm and it does not die, I can also put it into gear and it does not die. I can adjust the idle screws now and adjust the idle with them.
    I am going to have to wait until spring to drive it due to snow and ice here but I think as nice as it runs in my shop it will run really nicely on the road.
    Aonemarine, I have my new Q-jet book and will read it this winter, the author even signed it,cool. I want to thank each of you for all the info you gave me so, THANKS.
    Now I have to learn simple upholstery, :^)
    I wonder if anyone ever put a 383 stroker in a Prius?

falcongeorge likes this.
  6. Thanks for keeping us in the loop.;)

norms30a likes this.
  7. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Thanks, that cured your vacuum leak! Good to hear, Gary:)

norms30a likes this.
  8. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

Thanks for letting us all know, You sound a lot happier with it now! :)

norms30a likes this.
  9. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Glad itg all worked out for the good. Appreciate you returning to tell us how it went with the new manifold.

norms30a likes this.
  10. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

It's amazing how well everything works when you use the right parts. Who cares how well the motor will fit, if it doesn't run worth a crap. I wonder how much more of a kickback Summit gets on the first intake than on the second?

norms30a likes this.
  11. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

As I said earlier, it's time for a "come to Jesus" meeting with Summit. They sold the engine and recommended and sold the wrong damn manifold.