Register now to get rid of these ads!

Too much chop - are there legal limits?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by maddog, Nov 26, 2006.

1. maddog

maddog
    from So Cal

I am thinking about chopping the top on my truck. As I ponder the operation, discussing it with everyone that will listen, someone brought up the issue of chopping too much to be legal.
    Is there a limit in california?

And while your at it, got any pics of a 46 Chevy truck with a chopped top?

About half the people I talk to are passionatly against chopping it. What am I missing?

2. PSYCHOMOTO

PSYCHOMOTO

i drove this 50 around norcal for a while .the windshield was only 8 inches tall .no problems from the fuzz

Attached Files:

3. It used to be the height of a dollar bill laid flat on the windsheild...

4. t-town-track-t

t-town-track-t
    from Tulsa

I have no idea how true this is. But I have always heard that the way cops used to check them was with the dollar bill trick. You had to have as much glass as a dollar bill is tall (held sideways).

5. maddog

maddog
    from So Cal

Or maybe a $100 dollar bill---- Would get you another inch? Ha

6. That depends on how good the $100 lap dance is.

7. DrJ

DrJ

How much are you planning on taking out?
    How tall are you and is it all in your legs or do you have a long trunk?
    When I chopped mine, sitting on the stock seat I was looking through the windshield wiper hole in the roof till I changed to a lower seat and only I'm 5'9" (in heels). ;)

All Pro glass guy Paul Rick told me there was a Federal Manufacturer's law of 9" from the top of the steering wheel to the highest point of the top of the windshield and when '57 Bel Air's came out they didn't have the height so the lowered the steering wheel or made it smaller or something like that.
    I dont know if even this 50 year old Federal manufacturer's law is still on the books or went away with the round sealed beam law.
    Standard equipment tilt wheels make that one easy on new cars even if it does exist.

All I can find on California law is something like "Vehicle must have windshield that provides adequate protection."
    Whatever that means.
    Probably means it's up to how much of an asshole the next cop is.

I chopped 3" out of the A pillar of my '40 GMC (same cab as your's) that's 3" on the angle, not verticle.
    I decided that if I was going lower than that I would have to move the windshield up in to the roof some because the too tall area where the wiper motor and windshield hinges starts looking like a bald man's forehead, and not in a sexy Tele Sevalas way, if the glass height gets too low relative to that "forehead".

I took 3-1/2" verticle out of the back of it.
    It took me about a year of chronic bruised temple to learn not to try to stick my head out the driver's window to see to back up too... :rolleyes:

"Chev's of the '40's" sells the rubber and properly V shaped brackets to bolt the windshield frame back together in the center after you chop the windshield frame.

8. JohnnyP.

JohnnyP.

theres supposed to be about six inches of glass. i askeda CHP and he had no clue. he asked the others he worked with and they didnt know. so chances are. the six inch rule is stated now under the stement about windshield tint and stickers. not how much to take out. and technically, any modification to a vehicle is illegal in california. just dont be an ass and they normally wont bug you.

9. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

your not missing any thing they are,CHOP it .

10. [​IMG]

Heres the only pic of a 46 chevy I have.Its the best one I've seen yet!

Yeah,it sounds like your talkin to the wrong people.Even my kids granpas know that chopped cars are better then stock cars.

Cut that fucker.....Shiny

11. JohnnyP.

JohnnyP.

not sure if i like that one. something funny about it.

12. Connecticut laws say a minimum of 7" of glass.

13. Wa. State is 6" min. Spend a little time searching the web. I'm sure all the states have a site for the codes.

14. Tdreamer

Tdreamer

its gotta hood take it off and throw on a high rise w/ dual quads and some zoomies and it may look alot better

15. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

When it comes to the vehicle code and equipment laws, not many
    of the officers workin' motor patrol no dick 'bout it in California!
    If an equipment issue presents its self, the burden of proof will fall
    on you. The dollar bill rule has been around a wile now, but could
    be subjective today.

Swankey Devils C.C.

16. ratstar

ratstar

Utah is supposed to be 8 I think. But who the hell cares. Chop it up man.

17. Leebo!

Leebo!
    from Yale OK

I heard Oklahoma requires 7" of front glass, for what thats worth

18. 61bone

61bone

Don't know about Cali, but South Dakota requires 7" of glass measured vertically.

19. A Boner

A Boner

I think this would be questionable.

Attached Files:

20. I wouldn't chop it without knowing the law, the DMV should be able to provide the state guidelines as to minimum heights.
    If you slice it and some ass hat cop does you for it, if it is legally too low it may never be on the road again, to me thats too much of a gamble.
    Doc.

21. maddog

maddog
    from So Cal

Your right Doc. It will be some time before I chop it , if I chop it. I think it would take more than just a chop. I think some other things need to move, and I am not sure what that would be yet. Channel, Hood lowered, whatever. I think the homework needs to be complete before starting or it will be trouble.
    Thanks -M

22. Bishop Welding

Bishop Welding
    from USA

It's 7 inches in CA. But who cares.