Register now to get rid of these ads!

Too far gone?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dagenesta, May 3, 2009.

1. dagenesta

dagenesta

I have the opportunity to get this old Dodge truck from my wife's gramma. Its pretty rusty. It's a I6 flathead and three speed. My wife's uncle said it ran when it was parked like 15 years ago. No idea what condition the inside of the motor is like now.
    Should I get it?

The price is scrap value. Its 3-4 miles from my house. Yes, she has a good title.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. sawzall

sawzall

reading the front lisc plate..

i'd say you better want it pretty bad..

3. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

This car ran when parked too! :D

Attached Files:

4. LarzBahrs

LarzBahrs
    from Sacramento

Hell no it aint to far gone, i say get it and get to working with the wire wheel and you could clean her up purdy. A feel paches here and there, nothing too far gone.

5. red3

red3

Go for it man, My 63 chevy P/U sat for twelve years when I bought it I put gas in it and a good battery and dove it home 10 miles

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It looks like the worst of it is the box and that looks pretty well gone. Compared with the Model A stuff that I looked at at the Tri-Cities swap meet yesterday in Kennewick Wa it is in prime condition.
    It would be a good one to learn on as I don't think you can hurt it and you can probably beat out dents, weld up holes and do a lot of sanding without spending a lot of money. Around this area at least there are still a number of those floating around and body parts seem to be available if you are willing to hunt a bit.

I'd be thinking, how can I make a presentable and decent running truck out of it without breaking the bank.

7. chadman117

chadman117

Seems like you'd be spending a lot of money on a vehicle that has little value. I'd pass.

8. ltex old iron

ltex old iron
    BANNED

if thats the project you want id say no it isnt too far gone...but i bought one a few years ago and put alot of time into it and had it flat black and running and driving...and after 2 years of trying to sell it all i ever was able to get out of it was 100 bucks...the value on them isnt very high id say but if its what you want then get it

9. RichG

RichG

It's gonna take quite a bit of work, but for scrap price, why not? It'll also have some sentimental value for your wife, so you're good to go on that front too:D

10. makgreens

makgreens

BUY IT
    ive had a '50 dodge 3/4 ton that was more gone than that
    they are awesome trucks

its a 51-53 b-series truck
    i bet money you could get that engine running fairly quickly...mine was stuck and i was able to get it running

11. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

if you see potential get it.Do you have a vision for it?...is it really what you want or is it just there and the opportunity presents itself? buyer beware.

12. Squablow

Squablow

I call bullshit on you. Post a pic of this running, driveable 1950's Dodge pickup truck that you could only get $100 for.

As for this truck, I think it looks worse than it is. Sure, the paint is all different colors and shitty looking, but I dont' see that much rust on it. For scrap value you can't go wrong. If it turns into a nightmare, you can part it out and make money. I bet someone would pay decent money for those rear fenders, they look to be in good shape.

The truck looks to have passenger car bumpers on it, kinda interesting.

13. makgreens

makgreens

\
    :confused: i would have bought it in a heartbeat!

14. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

You could get it and flip it.But if its what you want .it doesnt look to far gone.

15. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

If that is to far gone I have brought almost every project back from the dead. I would say it needs lots of TLC but NOT to far gone. If you like it get it other wise let it go.

16. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

17. GET IT! I would grab a pickup like that in 2 seconds.In 2006 I restored a 1960 ford falcon that was behind a car lot that was being sold.Saw the falcon and stopped to see what they were going to do with the cars left behind after they moved.You guessed it.The fellow I talked to was the scrap scavenger they had got to haul everything to scrap yard.I got him to hold off on falcon while I hurried and found who owned the old car lot.I found him and he sold it to me for $300.00.It looked 10 times worse that that pickup.They are never as rusty as they first appear to be.Everyone told me the falcon was a dog car and no one would want it when I went to sell.I actually felt sorry for the old falcon.It was me or the crusher,so it went home with me.When it was finished I actually made a profit when I sold it.I have included a picture of finished falcon.It had a lot more rust than the pickup(I mean it was solid brown).I cleaned off what I could with sandpaper and wire brushes ,patched a few holes and painted it a 2 tone color.It is still running around the area today looking good as the day it left my house.It feels good to know I saved that falcon.Of course I have a very deep love of old vehicles.I hate to see any vehicle wasted at scrap yard.They are a part of our United States History that you can actually touch.Think about it,all the events that have taken place since that truck and my old 1960 falcon were built ,and most of them were probably heard on that old trucks radio and talked about by it`s passengers.Take it home and give it a try.Please don`t let that piece of U.S. history be destroyed without a fight to save it.Thanks

Attached Files:

18. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Go for it. Those old trucks have personality. The flathead 6 is a good reliable engine, not fast but they will run forever with a little TLC and they have a sound all their own.

Restored a military Dodge M37B1 back in the late '90s and had a ball with it, 55 mph with a tailwind on flat ground but a barrel of fun taking it places. Drove it on several 400+ mile trips and loved every minute.

19. Newbomb Turk

Newbomb Turk

I'd be on that like stink on shit. If nothing else get it running and flip it for a little extra $$ and maybe let someone else enjoy it.

20. axe grinder

axe grinder

I agree with rex1927 100%!.....go for it , if for some reason it don't work out then scrape
    it,at least ya tried.BTW ..I'm not that far from you , so if ya need a hand gettin
    her "unstuck" send me a PM. Good Luck!

21. James427

James427
    BANNED

+1

These are just about valueless. Any $$ you put into it would be throwing it away. If you LOVE this model, get it.

22. 3windowford

3windowford
    from Edison NJ

Asking if it is to far gone is hard to answer. Nothing is to far gone...even the titantic can be restored if you have the talent, the time and the money. Some builders can build a car from scratch, so in that case you are far ahead of them. I say go for it.

23. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

I would jump on it. I paid more than scrap value for a 46 chevy truck(and still havent moved it from my buddies yard) and all it has is the cab, shitty grill, and the chassis. Like it's been said already, if you get it and you loose interest or its too far over your head you can part it out or sell it to someone else for more than you paid.

24. garvinzoom

garvinzoom

Do you like the body style? Do you like Mopars? Do you like trucks? Do you like getting your hands dirty?
    For the price of scrap if you answered yes to these questions you should get it and not let it be crushed and lost forever.

25. manyolcars

manyolcars

These trucks have always been ugly no matter what you do and have NEVER been considered as traditional hotrods.
    Its as ugly as a ratrod

26. Scarynickname

Scarynickname
    from Toney, Al

If it were me? At scrap price? HELL YEAH!

27. Jarred Hodges

Jarred Hodges

I you like it and don't plan on selling I would say go for it. If you want to make money off it I would pass

28. all these "it ain't worth anything for resale" is bullshit...any old truck or car that drives is worht something to some one...i'ld try and un stick the 6,then wheel off the rust, and drive it around with a for sale sign in the window...price???make me a reasonable offer...bet it sells in under 30 days..and at a profit......

ya gotta remember the site is very very hardcore old ford and merc people...

29. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ