Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tonneau Cover Ideas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wide34, Apr 25, 2011.

1. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

I need to install a Tonneau cover on my pick-up bed so that I can store things without "losing" them. I'm not too concerned about rain etc. but do want to be able to lock it up. I'm thinking about building an aluminum frame, covering the frame with an aluminum skin then setting it on L shaped brackets that I would cover with weatherstripping. I'd hinge the front and use a gear drive to open and close it.
    If anyone has another idea that would still keep everything relatively safe I'd appreciate your comments.

http://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab322/wide34/34fordbuild022.jpg

http://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab322/wide34/34fordbuild025.jpg

2. Never2old

Never2old
    from so cal

If you're going to cover the pretty wood anyway, why don't you build a box that fits the inside of the bed and put a hinged & lockable lid on it?

3. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

You can buy the alunimum skin from a truck body parts store. 96" or 102" wide. It sells by the foot, any length you want.
    You can also buy curved roof bows, really cheap!

4. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

why not just brake the edges of some .063" 6061. Then you wouldn't need to build a frame for it.

5. OLLIN

OLLIN

I made mine out of steel square tubing with 1/2 plywood on top so i could sit on it at car shows, and strap a cooler and chairs to the top of it etc. I tried to have it hinged at first but it was hitting the back of my cab, so i just ended up making it removable

I think the trick will be to find some hinges that come up and out..

6. OLLIN

OLLIN

theres a guy on here who has a cool one. Its a canary yellow hotrod pickup I think it has tweety bird painted on it or something, but i think he even did a thread on it..

Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  7. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

A friend made an all aluminum cover for my truck. You might find the pix helpful. We had a SS piano hinge at the back and Z shapped metal trim on the sides to act as a water drain / seal that has a rubber gasket, too. Two linear activators raise and lower it and a 90 over the tail gate keeps it shut without a lock. The tail gate locks from the inside. Gary

There are 4 parts to my build thread, but I think these two are the ones with the good pix. Gary

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=355854
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=387590

Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  8. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

Many thanks for your thoughts, for me this is what makes the HAMB great. My son agrees that covering up the bed is crazy but I'm planning to do a lot of road trips with my wife and this is the only area I have to store things and I want it to be as safe as I can make it.

Can I make this stiff enough not to flex by just braking the edges? I know that is pretty thick but I've got an approx. 52" x 58" area to cover.

Thanks for the pictures and I like what you've done, this is pretty close to what I was thinking about. I do have another question, when you weld the skin to the frame (assuming this is aluminum) how long of a weld bead can you run before worrying about warping? I don't intend to run a full weld beam but rather every 10 to 12 inches.

9. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

Sorry Gary, I meant to Thank you for the pictures and I like what you did- it is very close to what I was thinking of doing. I'll re-ask the question about welding aluminum, how long a weld bead can you run before you worry about warping? Thanks, Tom

10. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

if your feeling crafty give this a try,, no welding!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know its not a truck bed but can easily be translated. Its really light and strong enough for me to stand on.

11. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

The depth of the flange will add strength, I'd make it about an 1" and weld or rivet the corners . If you add a bit of crown to the panel it will stiffen it up quite a bit. If you're wanting the flat look, I'd add an X brace (bead roll out a piece of sheet aluminum)and use the foam stuff for hood and roof braces, but it probably won't be necessary it would just make it more stout.

12. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Tom,
    The guy who did my cover welded the frame together first and then drilled holes in the cover. The holes allowed him to weld the cover and frame together from above. There are no continuous seams and no welds show from either side. BTW, the cover is about 1/8 inch thick! I wanted it to be more resistant to prying hands. The bottom was powdercoated silver and the painter dressed / filled the welds in the top before the red went on. Gary

13. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

PFC! Pretty frickin cool. Gary

14. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

That is a great piece of fabricating, I don't think my talents are even close to yours! thanks for showing it. tom

15. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

Thanks Gary, I like the idea of drilling and welding, hadn't thought about it. Really appreciate the response.
    Tom

16. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

Thanks for the idea, I'm going to try a small piece to see if it is as stiff as I want, I do want the flat look.

17. Britcon

Britcon

Saw a nice T- Cover made of Aluminum. Guy " machine turned " the entire top and gave it a couple of coats of clear with a slight red tint. Piano type hinge at front with electric actuators.

18. ...I like the storage box idea myself, here's mine in my 47 AD; it's big enuf for a full-size spare tire; still room to haul stuff in bed.

[​IMG]

19. uc4me

uc4me

I made a cover out of 3/4" conduit, a sheet of 1/4 Luon and some marine grade vinyl.

It sits on some small tabs welded into the sides of the bed. could be made lockable with out too much fuss

Attached Files:

• fs11.jpg
      fs11.jpg
      File size:
      64.4 KB
      Views:
    • fs53.jpg
      fs53.jpg
      File size:
      192.2 KB
      Views:
  20. Made mine out of 2x2's and an old army tarp. But my box is only about 3 feet square.

21. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

I had thought about a box but unfortunately I've mounted tha gas tank in the front of the bed and don't want to move it. You've got a really neat truck, I'll bet it's a lot of fun.

Again Thanks to everyone for your ideas, obviously some very creative people on this board!