Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Tom Ivo - Red

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by desertdroog, Aug 16, 2019.

1. desertdroog

desertdroog

I understand that Tom Ivo had a specific shade of red he used on his cars. Did he use that red for painting his Nailheads, or did he use the Buick corporate colors for that when applicable, for example on the Showboat. If he painted his engines with his custom shade of red, does anyone know the paint code or something that is close to it? I'm getting close to picking paint for my Model A, which has a Nailhead, and while I like the corporate blue/green Buick color, it's not going to work with the color I plan for the rest of the hot rod.

Examples: (I know the NTSC format doesn't do reality justice, I'm looking for help from those who know this kind of history)
    1962 to 64dragster.jpg FED1961  Buick Showboats.jpg

Deuces likes this.
  2. My nail head is painted red. it has weiand valve covers with ngines 003.JPG ngines 005.JPG ngines 001.JPG ngines 006.JPG the fins painted red also. it also has a not painted weiand dual 4 bbl intake. also a adapter bellhousing to a lasalle trans. I haven't any history on the engine.

Deuces likes this.
  3. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

1956 Oldsmobile Fiesta Red

Deuces likes this.
  4. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Norm Grabowski used a Chrysler blue he selected, then called it 'Norm Blue'.
    Not sure where Tom got his color, but think it was the red Tony Nancy used on the #22 Jr.s.

5. ngines 007.JPG This 327 is painted with Tractor Supply co Farmall Red.

Deuces and Fordor Ron like this.
  6. desertdroog

desertdroog

I appreciate the responses of red engines in general, however I do know the correct color for Corporate Buick Red, and I can get that with no issue.

I'm looking more for what the Tom Ivo Red shade was, and if he used that red on the Showboat for the engine. The colors I see of Tom Ivo's dark candy like red (dragsters, Riviera, his T, race helmet, etc..)is totally different than stock Buick Red.

Deuces likes this.
  7. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Ferrari I think ive read years ago.

Deuces likes this.
  8. Special Ed

Special Ed

Tommy's still around, and still lives in the same house he's been in for somewhere in the vicinity of fifty plus years. He still attends events around Southern California. Look him up, and just ask him in person.

Just Gary, Deuces and kidcampbell71 like this.
  9. desertdroog

desertdroog

Will do, Special Ed. Thanks.

Deuces likes this.
  10. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

1956 Oldsmobile Fiesta Red.

lurker mick likes this.
  11. desertdroog

desertdroog

I just read that thread with the Showboat replica discussion. I appreciate you mentioning it here.

I sent an email to Tom Ivo, not sure if it is a current one or not. No response, yet. I have been on the lookout for him when I do get to California, and will continue to do so, mainly just to say hello and talk shop if he is willing when the time affords it.

s55mercury66 likes this.
  12. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

I email Tommy one time about 4 yrs ago to ask a question with No response , then I emailed Don Garlits replied in one day & took the time to write two pages of tech information .

Tim_with_a_T likes this.
  13. desertdroog

desertdroog

That's pretty cool getting some reading material direct from Don Garlits!