Register now to get rid of these ads!

Toilet Paper Oil Filters... Literally

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 65Luck, May 6, 2004.

1. 31Rodder

31Rodder

2. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

[quote
    What else would you expect if the idiot never changed his oil filter??? The Frantz is working just fine in the 1966 Chrysler convertible my mother drove for 25 years. Its been in there since before she got the car.
    You may want to learn more about FRAM filters http://www.scuderiaciriani.com/rx7/oil_filter_study/

[/ QUOTE ]
    You've missed the point, I WOULD expect to see exactly what I saw, my caution is to those who think that there is some sort of panacea for oil filters. It doesn't matter what you choose, you still have to maintain it. The second point is that if you choose a toilet paper filter, like Frantz, how do you decide what paper to use? Given the detail to which the guy went into on your recommended website, I think that the choice of paper would be critical. That guy cautions against teflon in the oil, how bad can some of the lotions and perfumes that are put into many toilet papers today be on your engine? I'll still stick with my FRAM, I have never had one fail on me yet...

3. TERPU

TERPU

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Wow, what a crappy post!

Just couldn't resist.

Tim

[/ QUOTE ]

I know where to get ya some toilet paper... it's kinda oily though! [​IMG] [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's nice to know that I'm in good company! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. D Picasso

D Picasso

half a roll of toilet paper is still better than a Fram filter any day.

5. hemi

hemi

Just a bit of trivial trivia, but the Frantz folks are Zombies (CKD) family, on his Mom's side if I remember correctly...

6. Rocknrod

Rocknrod
    from NC, USA

I agree... Frams suck! They didnt used to... but they do now!

Mopars void the warranty if ya have engine problems with a fram on it last I read... [​IMG]

7. Fram has always been sorta a shitty inexpensive filter,actually if anything they have gotten alot better.Wix filters are hands down the best filter company out there along with AC.

8. I put a Frantz filter on my 69 442 and it actually cleaned the oil up, returning the nice gold color we all like to see. You must use single ply unscented, unpowered, uncolored coarse toilet paper. It will filter to about 3 microns as opposed to regular filters that only filter to about 15 microns. It is a Bypass filter and will return unbelievably clean oil to the pan. Change the TP approx 2000 miles, I installed mine so that the tank part is the top so the oil will run down the drain when engine shut down. Less oil to spill when changing TP. Also serves as heat dispersing unit. And has a nice shiny finish.
    Please pass the toilet paper!
    Why isn't recycled Toilet Paper brown?
    Cruisenight

9. usmile4

usmile4

I remember using these on some farm machinery when I was a kid...my dad was a stickler about changing oil and we would just use the TP...of course we used corn cobs when we took a crap out in the barn too!

Come to think of it...oily TP might feel good on my 'roids!

10. Friends who have done oil analysis have found too much paper in the oil for my taste.
    As for regular filters, Fram is generally conceded to be the worst.

Cosmo

11. Bone Daddy

Bone Daddy

Hey my friend had a toilet paper filter that came as an option on I believe a 66/67 Olds Cutlass. It was on the original olds build sheet and it was expensive for that time like $50. The car ran great til it rusted to the ground in NY. Why don't one of you guys take it a step further, ya know one up them by building a better mouse trap like the next great Paper Towel Tall Boy Filter or the Tampax Special, the Snot Box Grime Stopper , The Depends That Defends, and last but not least the Coffee Filter Kilter (get it you turn the filter up side down and it looks like a Scottish dudes kilt) I'll take a finned version of what ever someone decides to build. Bone Daddy

12. Bone Daddy

Bone Daddy

bttt....I guess I'm the only one that thought this was funny. Bone Daddy

www.elrodshotrods.com

13. Zerk

Zerk

Funny, yeah.

But I keep thinking about the paper towel roll thingie. Seriously. Maybe cut it in half, stick it in a metal cannister with perforated pipe in the center of the roll instead of the cardboard core, and run it bypass style like the Frantz. Toweling should be less likely to shred than TP, and a decent filter medium.

Bone Daddy, do a patent search. Does Frantz already have this locked up?

14. ComingApart

ComingApart

My '53 had one in it when I bought it. When I flushed the fluids, I put a new one back in.
    Not sure how well they work, the filtering on these cars is pitiful at best anyway.
    An interesting novelty either way.

15. SnoDawg

SnoDawg

I had on on my old Scout worked good the advantage is that shit paper is easy to come by and you can change it easily. I used to change my filter every 1500 miles when the Odo hit 1500 I pulled over and dug out a new roll and swapped it out. It is a bypass type of filter if you put it in as a full flow you will not have any oil pressure. Had over 300,000 on the ol beast before parking it due to the body turning back into it's natural state.

Dawg

16. fastroadster

fastroadster

I used one years ago. The seals around the filter always leaked. It was popular in the early 60's. Motors were cheap and so was oil. We use to buy "reclaimed" oil because it was only .15 a qt.:D

17. pigpen

pigpen
    from TX USA

I have a finned aluminum one also. It appears to be extremely well made. Like you, I've never tried to actually use it. I would think that toilet paper would start to crumble up and disintegrate in a moving oil enviornment, much like it does on my bloody hemorrhoid, but what do I know. Then again, it may work just fine. :eek:

pigpen

18. ComingApart

ComingApart

Wow, that was a visual we all needed I'm sure....
    I just wanted to point this out any case anybody missed this little jewel of observation.

19. shit i'm gunna get one of those just for shits (pun intended) and giggles, next time i'm bench racing i'll say some thing about toilet paper oil filters it'll be funny very RAT ROD :D!

20. oh my god i think i just puked a little bit in my mouth!

21. pigpen

pigpen
    from TX USA

When I was in the Navy, it was a great honor if you could get somebody to puke by saying something really foul. Just the mental image thing don't you know. I think I just won that honor for the second time in my long and preverted career! :D Thank ya all.

pigpen

"Thank ya! Thank ya very mush!" (Elvis)

22. Ed ke6bnl

Ed ke6bnl

I bought one from a garage sale for $2 just installed on my 98.5 turbo diesel, been on for several months and working fine. Ed

23. Ed ke6bnl

Ed ke6bnl

I doesn/t effect the oil pressure on the diesel dodge its pressure is gotton from a sealed plug and passes 6 quarts of oil every 5 min. through a 1/16 in orifice. So if plugged offf it is not differant then stock. Ed

24. Bought one at a estate sale yesterday. Im gonna install it on something. I have heard of them before and dismissed them as being just stupid. Now that i have gotten older and hopefully wiser i have learned one thing. It,s as you go through life lots of times you are certain that something is is a certain way. Their is no doubt if,s ands or butts that is the way it is . Later on you find out that is not the way it was at all. After doing some recearch on the frantz oil cleaner I am beginning to think it might have some merit. Any road i will find out for shure. I believe i will install it on my 64 chev 3/4 that i use for a wrecker. It has a 250 six. If i ruin the engine i have several more engines in stock. OldWolf Why couldnt all of lifes great problems came when i was a teenager and knew everything?

25. retromotors

retromotors

That would be the famed "John Wayne" toilet paper.

Rough, tough and don't take any shit off anybody.:D

26. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I have seen the old ones turn up on the on-line auctions before !
    Great idea that really works well !

27. Mizlplix

Mizlplix
    from S/W USA

I put one on a 1972 Plymouth 318. The kit used it as a bypass to original system. It had a metering fitting screwed into a oil pressure port for supply and a hollow fuel pump bolt to do drain back duties.

It actually cleaned up the old dirty oil to the point where I could see through it in about 3 weeks.

The instructions said to never change oil,jJust change both filters every 3000 miles and add 1 QT oil to the engine......I was not all that brave, so I changed oil every 10,000 miles or so, but ran it as requested in between.

NOTE: The kit said to NOT use single ply tissue, only 2 ply or better. Each brand was a different diameter, so I had to peel off some for a good tight fit in the canister. You "domed" it by pressing it on ur knee before inserting then press flat again inside the canister for a tight fit.

120,000 miles later, I sold the car. The engine started/ran like normal, which was no big trick for a good little 318 engine anyways......

From what I could tell, the oil retained it's viscosity and normal appearance because all contaminants were removed from the oil and never allowed to build up.

I still have it and it is going on my roadster.

28. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

So a couple of observations:

Even if you had a filter that was 100% effective you still need to change your oil because the additives in the oil deplete, and it is the additives that are significantly responsible for the excellent performance of modern oils.

Even with conventional oil filters, modern engines seem to last long enough.

It does make sense to have a full-flow filter to get most of it, and a finer partial-flow filter to be doing a more thorough filtering job in the background. You'd need some big-ass filter and a correspondingly beefy oil pump to get to filtration levels that you can achieve with partial-flow filters out of a full-flow filter.

It makes sense that TP filters are very dependent on the type of TP and that they still can put paper in the oil. If the ultimate filtering system is a full-flow PLUS a partial-flow, and you decide to run a TP filter, then install a conventional oil filter in series AFTER the TP filter to filter out the tiny shreds of paper.

29. corsair

corsair

My dad used one on his car back in the 70's and swears by it to this day. It's maybe the only instance of car thought he's ever had :rolleyes:

I didn't believe him at first, but the idea seems sound. I'm tempted to put one on on the Edsel, I'm only shy about it for having to explain what that "thing" is every time I pop the hood. The argument for it is pretty good though. There is no way in hell a spin on high flow filter could remove as much crud as a fine trickle filter.

I don't think you need a bigger oil pump either. The whole idea is that the system uses a restrictor to reduce flow through the TP filter. Unless your system is very marginal to begin with, this is just a tiny draw from the system. And you do, of course, have to change oil once the additives are depleted. I'd be happier if my old oil was still clean and lubricating at it's best when it came out though.