Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical TOGGLE SWITCHES TO CONTROL ****HEATERS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bandit Billy, Mar 24, 2020.

1. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, that's as questionable as throwing a rave during the current lock down and social distancing.
    upload_2020-3-24_11-9-19.png
    Forgive the OT purpose but I want to add seat heaters to the wife's shop truck and I would like to use vintage style toggle switches.
    upload_2020-3-24_10-59-16.png
    Perhaps @Crazy Steve or one you other electric wizards have pulled this off? Down low, middle off, up high. Am I wasting my time? I envision a row of toggles in the seat riser of the 41 truck, with u bolts separating them for safety and charm.
    upload_2020-3-24_11-7-29.png
    those little plastic switches don't cut it for me.
    upload_2020-3-24_11-4-20.png
    Heater switches use the same type of toggle to control the 2 speed fan so why not the seat heaters? The plastic ones are already relay protected. It wouldn't have the indicator light but who cares? You cant see it anyway if the switches are mounted on the riser.

Here's the deal, I buy the seat heaters and ship them to you. I also buy whatever switches you tell me and send them with the heaters. You wire them up, make sure there is a quick connector so I can mount them thru the riser and test them to make sure they are good to go. I send you enough smack for a bottle of the good stuff for your help. Hey, you're stuck indoors with nothing to do, talking to the wife for 2 straight weeks is not a viable option, neither is sobriety. helping out a HAMBer and a bottle of Makers? You will wish every day is quarantine day.
    upload_2020-3-24_11-6-21.png

Hnstray, Budget36 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  2. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

5AEF1225-2BB6-4FE8-B1C2-6E9CD4031CAA.jpeg

Use a double throw switch and it will cut your number of switches needed to do the job in half!

Here’s my fridge for these times, can’t do whiskey!

PS. The missing slot, now has another 30 pack of Miller lite now!

Bones

3. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Don't you toy with me!

And by the way, these were not cheap plastic switches!

20171127_160937.jpg

Bandit Billy likes this.
  4. X2 on the Makers....

pckasmin and Bandit Billy like this.

5. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I like Jack Tennessee Honey. But I know Jack about switches and stuff.

VANDENPLAS and Bandit Billy like this.
  6. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hoarder! :cool::eek:

pckasmin and Boneyard51 like this.
  7. squirrel

squirrel

A single pole, double throw, center off switch will do what you want.

But I'm assuming the thing you want to control with it has a single wire for "low" and another single wire for "high", each of them needing power only when you want that setting. And that the other side of each circuit is connected to ground.

If you send me some more info about the heaters, then maybe I could help a bit more. And since I don't drink, no need for the payment.

switch.png

Bandit Billy likes this.
  8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Do you know why lite beer is like sex in a canoe?
    They're both fucking near water!
    Laugh or I'll tell it again!

9. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

You guys crack me up! Lol I usually keep a weeks supply in my garage fridge...... I admit I may be a little low!

Bones

Bandit Billy likes this.
  10. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I always though of using a series of these switches, say four and wire it so that the circuit would be wired in series in only one direction among the switches, for an ignition switch! No keys, 1 up, 2down ,3 down 4 up, for instance. But I guess running your ignition system through four switches wouldn’t be a good idea. Might use a relay to trigger the final actual ignition. Just thought it would be cool , to jump in your hot rod, flip a few switches and hit the starter button!
    Your post reminded me of that idea , that I’ve had for years........but have never implemented it!

Bones

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
    Bandit Billy likes this.
  11. squirrel

squirrel

I thought of doing that for ignition switch, also....never did it, though.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  12. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

As was implied in post #10 the current load of a seat heater can be problematic. Usually any accessory with a heating element draws a lot of amperage. If I were doing it I would use the SPDT switch to trigger two relays that use large capacity heavy gage wire. I presume one side would be run through a rheostat to limit the heat on the "low" setting and the other relay can carry direct battery voltage to the "high" side. Good luck.

David Gersic likes this.
  13. bchctybob

bchctybob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here you go..... a BFS. 1/4-20 terminals. I always wanted to put it on one of my cars for something, just to watch the reactions.
    IMG_2419.JPG IMG_2420.JPG

Hnstray and Boneyard51 like this.
  14. If you do this with a few rotary type switches, you could have a "combination lock" type ignition switch. Keep's them guessing.

15. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Those were very common switches on Firetrucks, iirc there were made by Cole Hearse, but where phased out in the 70s or 80s. Good switches! Had to put relays in to replace them! Making the truck more complicated! Just saying!
    If you remove that jumper, you will have a heavy duty dtsp switch.

In the application in our fire trucks , they were used to power primer pumps, that had electric motors that rivaled starter motors! While they are heavy duty switches, they couldn’t handle the amps of a starter motor! That’s why I had to replace them with other switches, including relay and hand operated starter switches!

Bones

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  16. badshifter

badshifter

Done. CBM, Inc. 21125 Superior St Chatsworth, CA 91311
    I'll buy the switches and relays etc. you pay cost, you pay shipping. One day turn around.

17. I use the SPDT toggles for the power windows that were already in my truck. They should work just fine for the seats.

18. Phil P

Phil P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A quick Google seems to indicate that the heaters only draw 4 amps per seat at most so a toggle switch should be easy to source. I didn't think the included switch could carry much load.

By the way I really like those switch panels with the u bolt protectors, I want to do one for my A.

Phil

19. DOCTOR SATAN

DOCTOR SATAN
    from okc

We had a dune buggy with a bunch of toggles, some hooked to nothing so you could flip some different every time..... Kept 'em guessing....

Boneyard51 likes this.