Register now to get rid of these ads!

Todays youth NOT interested

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fordstandard, Aug 27, 2013.

1. shotrod

shotrod

These younger kids are into cars its just not yours or our type of cars but they are doing performance things to them and some are pretty trick in some ways,the big problem is is lack of knowledge and guidance,the cost also these hotrods are not cheap the cars they mess with are easily financed so a monthly payment and a little cash left over for performance parts is how they know how to do it.

2. herbet99

herbet99
    from Central NJ

Unfortunately, completely void of style

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And largely made of plastic.

4. 62hotcat

62hotcat

not a hamb friendly car, just sold a 67 gto project to my cousins 14yr old son. im doing all the bodywork for him. hes going to take it from there. he was sitting in it with a smile ear to ear last weekend. Also my 22 yr old son loves these cars although he is currently messing with European cars while his 62 catalina is laying in the shop.

5. derbydad276

derbydad276

Last weekend was the last big cruise of the summer up here in Detroit
    We gave several. Woodward dream cruise that sets the bar telegraph rd ,fort street & gratiot ave. the final is
    Hines Park were I took my 12 year old cousin that is a car nut !
    After he got a ride in (dvlscoupe) 31 model A and (hotrodladycruiser) 1960 bonneville wagon he is even more geeked

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. Nickrodder

Nickrodder

Hey hey hey! Whoa whoa whoa ! I am of the younger generation and I love the classic and so do my friends, sure there aren't as many of us as the older generation but we are here and as long as I'm involved the Hot Roddin tradition will live on !!!!

7. derbydad276

derbydad276

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1377958482.112811.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1377958496.179937.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1377958512.841678.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1377958530.546822.jpg
    I forgot the owner of shaboom also let him have a seat

8. fast30coupe

fast30coupe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Illinois

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1377958707.512615.jpg
    22 and defiantly interested.

9. The caption should read "Where are all the cookies I keep hearing about?" :D HRP

[​IMG]

10. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

In the over all scheme of things, Deuce Daddy Don nailed it with his reference to an NPR segment. Here's one of the better editorials on the fact that the car culture as we know it is fading away:

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/...to01/Americans-driving-less-car-culture-wanes

Antidotes about knowing a kid that's into cars, is like kissing your sister here on the HAMB. The crazy money that people are paying for sixties muscle cars is going to come to an end in the next few years as the baby boomers with funds start to die off. Brass era cars are one of the toughest sells right now. Why you ask? Because the people that appreciated them and lusted after them are dead!

Maybe if the video game makers or the producers of the Fast & Furious series start promoting A-V8's and 33-34 sedans in their projects, we'll see a renewed interest in hot rods by those under 21.

11. freeflynstl

freeflynstl

I see a fair amount of younger folks participating. Lets face it, our hobby is expensive and it takes a fair amount of dough to play. With all that said it just takes some of us getting involved with these youngsters. Whether that is your son, daughter, nephew, niece, grandson or granddaughter show 'em how to use a wrench, show 'em how to change the oil or replace a ball joint. It's stuff you can do together. Besides, as they get into their teens kids need activities to stay out of trouble. Nothing beats a bloody set of knuckles to keep a kid from rolling doobies.

When I was a kid it was Dad that got me involved. First it was BMX bikes, then dirt bikes and motorcycles and after that a go kart we built together. Eventually it was my first car then my first hot rod. It was always something mechanical and he was always there with me. It wasn't until I was out of college and had my own place that I could really afford to play.

I don't have a son, but I have a daughter and you can bet your ass we're doing the family rod thing. Some of my favorite memories as a kid was stopping at DollyWorld on my may to Gatlenburg, TN with my Mom and Dad. She may never be interested in wrenching on her '68 Dodge Dart but it won't be because she wasn't exposed to it.

I think our hobby will be just fine. At least it will on my watch.

Andy from STL

12. I spend my weekends at the drag strip, and there are a TON of young people there. Either racing or watching. Hot rodding didn't stop in 1965, it's just where this site cuts off. As I said before, if you have zero interest in the car that they spend every dime on, why should they take any in yours? I like American old school iron, but the kid with the civic that's clicking off 9 second passes is still a hot rodder. Every couple weeks there's a mustang race, the majority being young guys. There are some really quick cars. I don't like them but can't deny that those guys are hot rodders too. They just aren't hamb material hot rods.

13. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1377962977.916375.jpg
    You can't tell me she's not interested....

15. bomcadillac

bomcadillac
    from Las Vegas

And to all the old timers, we need to learn your tricks! I'm 34, went to Wyotech (10 years ago) and guess how much I learned about tuning carburetors? Yup zero. I've heard of even being able to tune distributors, but if there is anyone out there still doing it, I don't know! I love hot rods and old cars, but have never had a true mentor in the hobby. All I'm saying is a lot of it is a dying art, but there are those of us willing to learn and carry the torch, but we can't pass down what we haven't learned.

16. WillyKJr

WillyKJr
    from Blackstone

Just another twist on that from my cockpit....I know that when I was growing up I had to GO places to see people and do things. Today's youth don't have to go anywhere to be exposed to everything they THINK they need. They are "social" online. They have "virtual" relationships online. They have "entertainment" online. They actually get an adrenaline rush from video games that do not involve ANY sort of risk, reward or legitimate accomplishment. I think they are too willing to accept a virtual life in their parents basement as reality. That said, I do know a good number of young bucks that are still rabid about this hobby and participate fully in racing, building and general love of cars and trucks, new and old.

17. VonKool13

VonKool13

Well ive got a little good news for you, Im 36 and heavily into traditional cars, rods, and bikes, I consider myself young. But the best thing is my 15yr old son is getting into rods and traditional cars. Infact after taking him to just a few car shows he told me he wants his first car to be "old school", his words. I could not be prowder, and that came with no prompting by me. My wife keeps looking for any first car for him with a low price tag, I told her no way on anything post 60. Then showed her listings for all sorts of pre 60s cars for the prices as the civics and 90s trucks she was looking at. A side note, my 8yr old loves watching car programs on tv, and especially the V8 cars. Things are looking good over here.

18. kopperkart

kopperkart
    from Wisconsin

I gave my son and daughter interesting cars when they showed interest. It hooked both of them. We have to reach out to them since they are sometimes intimidated to approach us.

19. six pack to go

six pack to go
    from new jersey

Im sure my son who was born in 2009 will want to drive my 34 Ford to high school.. planted the seed early!! hahah
    [​IMG]

20. LDNFAST

LDNFAST

Right on!

21. LDNFAST

LDNFAST

I'm 40 finally owning my 29 roadster on 32 rails, I have 3 kids all dig cars but I know I had a dad like me when I was young and I lost my license drag race by 19. So I encourage these cars but I'm starting off my kids with the average 70's VW to build some skills. Not every kid is ready for muscle cars and hot rods

22. scoTT la rock

scoTT la rock
    from NJ

the only thing i can add to this is that based on my own local experiences, there are a TON of younger kids getting into these old cars. i'm 39 and i see people 10-20 years younger that are way into it. my band plays a lot of hotrod shows and the last few that we have done we have seen anywhere from 800-1200 cars- and that's all just local events in northern NJ. true a lot of kids now only care about ipods and scooters, but there is definitely a resurgence going on in terms of classic cars. it's a good time to be around in my opinion.

also, in my experience it sometimes takes time to really get into it. when i was 15 years old, i helped my uncle restore a 51 chevy PU. my father then bought a rusty old 40 ford panel truck and we started the resto on that. at the time i was not too into it, just thought it was "okay"- even though in the end i was going to be the owner of that 40 ford. my dad and i had a falling out and he sold it because we stopped working on it.

it took me until i was around 30 to start appreciating the hobby again and only in the last 3 years have i really been into it in terms of buying a car and getting to work. now ive got a 64 chevy and 50 ford and it's quite fun

Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  23. Road Runner

Road Runner

In the last 20 years I have observed an ever growing crowd interested into old cars and hot rods with folks in their 40s-60s. The internet certainly has helped.

This hasn't been a lifestyle or hobby for most young people for many decades now.

Most kids in their 20s now are not interested but many more of them will be 20 years from now.

Prices of cars and vintage parts have gone up, especially in the last few years, despite gas price increases and the recession. And there are more reproduction parts and vendors now than ever before.

The more hi-tech gadgets and modern times keep changing our lives, the more people past the age of 35 are yearning for simpler times and nostalgia.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  24. flatheadz-forever

flatheadz-forever
    from new jersey

Well im 16 and more then interested checkout my build in my signature below of my 1930 Model A pickup

25. Underdog1981

Underdog1981

I believe the youth just doesnt have the time or money. Ive been workin on a non hamb approved car for over 5 yrs. It was hard to make time to work on it and be able to save up the money to do the major work that the car needed. After a while of struggling you get burned out as well.
    Antique cars are so expensive now a days too. I mean 10k for a rusty uncomplete car that u cant even drive, thats ridiculous.

26. Youngone1952

Youngone1952

Im 22 and have been messing with cars since i was 14. Although my dad wasnt into cars my brother is. I AGREE with Underdog tho it can be very expensive too. Just keep your eyes out for an old car that dosent run or move and try to make a deal. Thats what i did for my 52. I got it for $700 an couldnt even move the thing cause the brakes were seized up. It just seems that the younger crowd these days are lazy and would rather play video games. Check out my 52 chevy Im building!!!!!

27. derbydad276

derbydad276

28. derbydad276

derbydad276

He ate them !!!

29. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I haven't read all the previous posts so this may have been said before; if so I apologize. Any "blanket" statement such as "youth NOT interested" infers that all youth are not interested. NOT TRUE.

About 40-50% of the HAMB meet and greets I have been at consist of guys and gals 25-35. Cool; success!!

One suggestion I can make to those that are older and wiser is to share your advice, opinions, and experience in an interesting way. Basically, don't be a fuck! Case in point, this last Thursday I was at a local cruise night for '72 and earlier cars. This event is held weekly on a public street and attracts 175-250 cars each time.

A couple of cars came early or were parked from the previous business day that did not fit the "pre-72" requirement. Instead of nicely asking the owners to move their cars or bikes (4 total), the coordinator gets on the PA and says "if the cars are not moved by 7:00 pm, I'll have them towed." He then procceds to run around like a mad man and make sure these are all moved before he has to "call the cops." Some regulars are actually cheering him on!

The same result of the cars and bikes moving could have been acomplished by nicely talking to the owners. At least this way, 4 less people would have a sour taste about old cars in general. Instead, 4 poeple will probably tell their friends not to go to such and such a cruise night. In the end, no one wins.

30. flatheadz-forever

flatheadz-forever
    from new jersey

All i know is im 16 and i have friends within 2 years of my age with a t bucket and a 1969 firebird and a 1937 chevy streetrod and i have my model a pickup i think theres interest just not as much as kids back in the day