Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Todays encounter at the Mn. DMV

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blazedogs, Nov 10, 2015.

1. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

My golden rule is never buy without a clear title.
    No title means you`re buying parts for a swap meet...
    Saves me a lot of mental anguish in the build.

2. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

They call me Bob has a good suggestion.
    Call the state and make sure you ask for a supervisor.
    Climb the ladder up until you get someone with a clear understanding of the correct procedure.
    Keep that persons name and phone extension.
    Relying on info from the local crew is a clear path to frustration.

They call me Bob likes this.
  3. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My experience is that various Deputy Registrars differ greatly with what they can do for you. Where I live, there are two offices, each about 30 miles away. I went to the closest one first, and they did not have a clue about what to do. I went to the other, and there was a gal their that knew exactly what I had to do and gave me all the proper forms. I took them home, filled them out, provided the required photos and affidavit and returned them to the office. They gave me a 60 day permit, and a couple of months later, a collector plate and the title showed up in the mail.

Short story : If they can't (or won't) help you, do yourself a favor and find another, more cooperative office. They are out there.

They call me Bob likes this.
  4. rooman

rooman

I am glad that I live in Indiana. Take in a pile of receipts for enough parts to build a car. They issue a VIN #, stamp it on the car (or make your own VIN tag), have the local cop sign off on it, title and tags came in the mail. drive down the road. My brother did this with a glass 27 T, and one of my customers did it with the front engine dragster style car that I built for him.

Roo

5. alchemy

alchemy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here in God's country we can. I did. All I needed was the serial number on the side of the T block.

6. Every state is different.

7. I'm assuming you simply sell cars to other Alabamans (Alabamites?) with a bill of sale. How would a person from a title state register a car that came with an Alabama bill of sale?

8. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Alabamians.:D

I'm sure it varies by state. Georgia is another state that doesn't require titles on older cars, I think their number is 20 years old.
    Here, all you need is a bill of sale. Some counties require it be notarized, others don't.

9. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

because they know damn well you STOLE that rusted out T cowl!!!:rolleyes:

10. Hotrodhog

Hotrodhog

30 years ago I just made up a note that said my '31 Chevy was abandoned on a friends farm when my friend bought the land and they gave me a title.....don't know if that still works? Since then I've had the DMV tell me a '70's Mn title card wasn't a title and refused to do anything until the oldest gal behind the counter came over to look at it and said it was what the titles looked like back then and transferred it for me.....now I think the easiest way to title a car is to buy a title off the internet and skip all the waiting, paperwork, inspection, etc....

11. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

Going through the same process myself on a car that had no title.Found out too late that each office operates a little different..After talking to some guys that have went through this you find out which offices have people working at them that are car people.They seem to know how to push these through without much of an issue.Seem to actually have their own set of rules.I stopped at the inspection center in rice and it was a good thing I did as he told me what I needed and what would not pass if it came through his facility,totall opposite of the advice I got at the Ramsy facitlity.If you have any aftermarket or used parts you need to have some kind of proof of ownership for each item or they consider it stolen.Thats not good if you purchased parts at swap meets and do not have any kind of receipt.You can make something up but he said they would be scrutinized.Also if you think your going to call St Paul and get ahold of anybody good luck and be prepared to stay on the line a few hours,most likely wont happen.
    Had the same issue trying to register a 35 pickup with yom plates.Did it two years ago for my 46 and it was no problem.Went back for my 35 plates and they said no way they don't do that anymore.I told them that was not the case so they took pictures and sent them to st paul .8 weeks later of not getting any reply I tried to call with out any luck so I sent an email hoping for a response.About a week later I get an email back saying they appoved them 4 weeks ago.Great communication.What really pisses a guy off is part of your tax dollars go to fund these offices and most often every time ive had to go in to take care of something the people that work there act like they don't have the time of day for you.End of rant.

12. I've got a friend that lives in Illinois that built a T. They were giving him a fit trying to get a title for it. Somehow he found out that he could do it through Vermont without any problems and that's just what he did. When registration expires he's just going to transfer to Illinois.

13. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo

I didn't have any problems transferring the title on my car, BUT I hope it never comes into question. The car is a 1950 4 door Styleline Deluxe. When I bought it I was on the hunt for a Model A, and had never really paid much attention to the early 50's Chevys. When I saw this one, I loved the look and the price was right so I bought it. The rear doors were welded up so it was a 2 door. I bought it from an old local hot rodder and didn't pay much attention to the title. He called it a Fleetline and the title said Fleetline so I assumed it was a Fleetline. Later on, while researching the engine numbers and body tag numbers, I realized it was a Styleline Deluxe. So then I looked at the title again and it is titled as a 1950 Fleetline Coupe. I'm afraid to compare the VIN numbers, but it's something I need to do before I go much further with it.

14. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

Been there and hadta do that. Don't want to throw gasoline on the fire, and I DO understand the whole "public servants work for me" argument, but I'm strictly a bottom line person when it comes to getting things done. Met my (French) wife in South Carolina, and she was always frustrated when she could not obtain satisfaction from public servants after a thorough and well documented, Cartesian oriented, presentation of her request. I tried to explain the need for "schmoozing" the servants a bit. Begin the conversation by a reference to the weather, local high school teams results, how nice their hair style looked, before getting down to business. I always brought home the bacon. So, you might keep in mind (and your tongue in check) these folks are grounded in routine and quite capable of dealing with day-in day-out situations, such as issuing titles on the basis of correct documents from the usual sources. Since what we're after is way out there, arrive with a small packet. Letter explaining what you want (title), and where you started (photos with attached receipts) for the major components: body/chassis/powertrain. Of course your complete contact ID and then ask to speak with a supervisor and present your request. Get a business card from that person. Don't forget to state you know your request is quite a bit out of the ordinary and understand it will require additional time to process. You will have set the wheels in motion and greased the rails for a satisfactory conclusion. As a poster said above, many employees just want you gone from their desk/window. A well documented, slightly more formal approach shows you are organized and expect a reasonable response. See if this won't work for you. Just sayin.

alchemy likes this.