Register now to get rid of these ads!

Today was a Success buying things. What are they worth??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ddpecka348, May 19, 2012.

1. ddpecka348

ddpecka348

Well we went to a guys house I heard about to see what he got and it turned out he had some neat things I just had to have!
    First a 1951 Olds Rocket -Stroked/ Bored with Jahns pistons/ Adjustable Rockers/Weiand Valve covers/ That is all i know about the motor as of right now but it isnt stuck and should run and hopefully we will be buying it soon!
    Second I bought 2 NORMAL distributors at first i thought until I saw the tag on one! Harman-Collins dual coil Distributors one is practically hardly used and othe needs a lil work for $60 for both!
    3rd I bought all 4 carbs for $100 - 2 Stromberg 97s and 2 Holley/Ford 94's

I'll be going back to look at more stuff closer next time and hopefully bring the Rocket motor back and score again!

Attached Files:

2. ddpecka348

ddpecka348

Distributors cleaned up good!

3. You stole those distributors. Wish I was in your shoes today as I could use one.

4. F&J

F&J

I answered about the Olds on the other thread you posted on earlier...

It may not be a 51 303

It has later 324-up ehxaust manifold, later 324 and up front damper.

And, what's up with the carb placement? It looks like a 56 Rochester Powerjet 2BBL, but it is way too forward. So is it unbolted and laying there, or is that a tri-power 57/58 J2 cast iron manifold? I can't see it clearly.

5. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

re: Dual Coil distributors....don't forget that the wiring sequence on the cap changes because although the firing order is same, the current alternates from one coil tower to the other....ask me how I know....or not

6. ddpecka348

ddpecka348

The Carb was a big 4bbl that was not on the intake bolted it was loose. But where do I look for numbers to find out if it is a 324? And What are the numbers I need to look for?

7. F&J

F&J

The letters/numbers are hand stamped on the driver side on the machined surface where the head gasket sits on. There are 2 spots where a small part of the surface sticks out, past the head.

Very early 303: look in between the #5 and #7 cylinder. That's the 3rd one back and the last cyl, if you don't know. Look for a flat spot sticking out and scrape it.

on a later 303 and also the 324's, look between #1 and #3 cyls. look for the flat spot sticking out.

Post the letter/numbers or, do a search with these words: "DON_WOW numbers". you will get a very accurate list... except for the hydramatic equipped 1956 324. Those 56 hydras are not on his list, but if your number starts just like a 1955 code, but the number is higher that the last 55 engine, then you have a 56 Hydra motor. The other 56's start with a different letter than 55's

8. ddpecka348

ddpecka348

I will post the numbers asap

9. Wanna sell me a dizzy?

10. ddpecka348

ddpecka348

I'm thinking about keeping one and selling the other I will let you know asap !

11. McFly

McFly

Wanna sell those 97's? : )

12. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I'd be looking at mating that 4:71 on your other thread up with the olds, rather than a flathead. Way better combo...

13. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

I have a built 303 with 324 heads, it has 10:1 pistons, pretty mean cam, how feasable is this engine for a driver in these times if I went with a milder compression? Are they good dependable engines? Is there a weak point to them or were they a good durable engine? Dont mean to hijack your thread just thought since you have some olds guys here someone might be able to answere my questions. Thanks, Jim

14. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

If that engine was bored and stroked it was a very long time ago. Most people building an engine will clean it up and paint it a little.

That engine looks like any old used rusty junk yard lump does. If it was built it was many moons and many miles ago.

15. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

As reliable as any other motor, it'd certainly hold it's own against any modernish v-8, after all the modern sbc came out in '55 and the sbf came out in '62?, and i'd personally stay a 10 to 1 and run it

16. ddpecka348

ddpecka348

97's will be for sale soon ! Im cleaning up all of my carbs now I have about 6 97's And I do Love the idea for the Blown olds! It was said to be a drag boat motor from the 60's so yes it was built long ago!!

17. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

I wouldn't change a THING...:cool:

18. Fenders

Fenders

Nice find. Why place an ad in the classified when you can do it on the main board?