Register now to get rid of these ads!

Today was a good day ! Check out my chopped 36 cabriolet built in the 40's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 38zephyr, Mar 12, 2009.

1. rodncustom

rodncustom

It looks awesome! Will you be running the top on it this weekend?

2. 38zephyr

38zephyr

Thanks you guys , Rikster your site is unreal ! I stared at the "40's-50's build 36 Ford customs " section for hours and kept going back to it as I was dreaming about how I wanted my car to look . Coming from you especially , that's a huge compliment .

rodncustom - Your Grandpa knew what was cool 70 years or so before me ! Great picture . I was thinking about putting the top on , it's real easy , but it's kind of tore up and I'd probably keep hearing WTF all weekend . I wish I had a tonneau cover at least though . Hopefully Monday it will go to upholstery .

3. tattedfordguy

tattedfordguy

4. sololobo

sololobo

Hello---yes,I am calling the library to ask if bad ass should be one word or two!! No Ms. Lewis, I am not a smarty pants. I want to tell a guy how cool his car is. O.K. two words it is, sorry if I upset you. Thank you!! ~Sololobo~

5. I can only imagine the visual impression the '36 Cab and your Zephyr will make when parked next to each other...

While perhaps a more common approach, I am glad to see the sombrero hubcaps...there's a reason why they are so popular...beuatiful!

Todd

6. 38zephyr

38zephyr

I haven't even driven it yet , so don't throw stuff at me if you see me backing it off the trailer in Pomona . I guess I'll unload it there and see if they let me "inside" , I think it's free to get in that way right ? There were a couple years where I never even went inside to walk around , I don't have any door panels so I think I'll get turned away . If it's all feeling good maybe I'll try driving it to Socal Fri. It's not rubbed out yet , there are some small paint things to fix and I'm probably going to have the windshield frame redone a third time .

7. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

Absolutely!

8. 38zephyr

38zephyr

Got the thing rinsed off , gassed up and went for the maiden voyage today . It is going to need some fiddlin' with here and there but overall did real good . That engine feels real strong , shifts good . Clutch is a little chattery and carbs need some dialing in , but it was fun to finally drive it a little bit . Stayed cool , just pissed a little cause I overfilled it . Maybe got the hookup today on a couple hides of really good quality white leather today out of the blue and at a hell of a price even ! I think I might drop the back about 2" , I'm thinking about running board stainless and maybe some desoto airflow type skirt medallions , or the ones on these wagons or trike . I think I'll wait until the top and bumpers are on and try to walk the line between too plain and too flashy .

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
  9. Everyday is a good day when you own that car

2" drop at the rear would really set the 40s look.

Congrats on a perfect custom.

10. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

"DUMP the RUMP" and you'll be good to go!!! Another cool tail dragger will be out there for sure!

That Manteca license plate frame cracked me up- We used to call it "Man-Stinka" and I dated a girl who lived in the trailer park behind the water slides when I was 16... Good times.

Back on topic:
    Dearching / reverse eye the r. spring should get you what your after. I actually lowered my '39 Merc in the back 2X to get it looking right- I wanted only tire and little bit of rim showing. To cheap to buy rear caps! :D

Keep up the great work!!!

jay

11. 38zephyr

38zephyr

Listen buddy , don't talk about Manstinka , my trailer park or blister my buck toothed sister like that !

Just kiddin' , Thanks .

12. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Nice thread, and awesome car, can't believe I have missed this thread for so long!

13. 38zephyr

38zephyr

I drove it home for the first time and been cleaning it up a little . Got about an inch out of the back with a couple bags of cement for now .

Attached Files:

14. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

Looks KILLER!

Nick.

15. wow. simply beautiful...

16. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

Great job so far, love to see it with the top on.

17. 38zephyr

38zephyr

So , I got out to the roadster show Fri. around noon . All happy cause they let me in free and to be there with the car , unloaded it and started to putt around a little and the carbs and clutch started acting up again . Thought it was good enough to cruise around , but it just got too bad at the show . Pretty bummed out , just threw it back on the trailer and almost went home . Ended up sleeping there in the truck , found a couple little trinkets , saw some awesome stuff . Pretty much so bummed I didn't really even feel like talking to anybody . So cal was fun and so was Walden speed shop . We'll get it squared away hopefully and maybe to the upholstery shop around Wed. or so . Got a lot of super nice compliments even sitting on the trailer and met some real nice people also , sorry I was just bummed and even quieter than I usually am . Seemed to me there was more really nice stuff than I've ever seen out there .

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 21, 2009
  18. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

too bad for the problems.... but it sure does look nice!!!!!

19. helmsville

helmsville

this is gota be one of the best build's this year!

20. Damn that looks nice...looks like a sharp '68 Charger on the trailer also!

Little gremlins that come up are a real PITA and can screw up a perfectly good day...

21. 38zephyr

38zephyr

Allen got the clutch and carbs working better than new and I got
    the 36 in the garage next to my Lincoln for the first time today . Ended up switching to 97's because there wasn't enough vacuum with that cam for the 94's . I'm real happy with the 39 Merc bumpers , going to put burgundy pinstripes in the lines on them this afternoon . Supposed to go to upholstery Monday !!! I'll take a whole bunch of pictures as he takes the top apart etc . Thanks for checking it out .

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
  22. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

I look forward to the up dates!

Nick.

23. flatheadjunk

flatheadjunk
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange CA

The only thing I don't like about it is-----------it's not in my garage.Great score!

24. 38zephyr

38zephyr

Thanks guys ! Quicky stripes on the bumpers .

Attached Files:

25. brady1929

brady1929

that is a beautiful car (hot rod)

26. rodncustom

rodncustom

That is an immpressive pair sitting together. I'm suprised that you haven't got big dollars being waved in your direction for this thing...or maybe you do.:)

27. 38zephyr

38zephyr

Here is a little uph. shop update . When I first saw it I thought he ordered a different color than I had chosen , it was too far done to start over so I'm trying to like it . Maybe the sample was old and looked different , I don't know . I think the bright white top matching the piping will make it , he is almost ready to start on it . Also the white headliner will have 5 or so rows of the oxblood piping on it . Hopefully it will be pretty good all finished . You guys think it's okay ?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
  28. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

Looks good, like the color actually.

29. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

More than O.K. bloody Marvellous I'd say!

Nick.

30. bonesy

bonesy

I like the interior - In my mind's eye I thought it would be a deeper / richer tone.