Register now to get rid of these ads!

Today was a good day ! Check out my chopped 36 cabriolet built in the 40's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 38zephyr, Mar 12, 2009.

1. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Awesome score! Gonna' be beautiful!

DUDE! Running the wide 5 spider caps would be awesome, if you can find them! They are beautiful! My grandfather had them on his 37 Tudor! They're hard to find, but they are really cool! (sorry about he big picture)

[​IMG]

2. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

Damn, how do I get my projects to move this fast ??????????

3. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You know I'm seeing a LOT of problems with this car.
    Mainly its not mine, its not in my garage, its not in my country.............
    You get the picture,
    BUT
    I'm a nice guy, I am willing to help you fix these issues. Finish it, place in a shipping container and send it to me. Problem solved.
    See, I told you I'm a nice guy and just look at the lengths I am willing to go to, to help you.

Um...... hello?

Are you there?

Where'd he go?

Doc.

4. michaelthe9

michaelthe9

How the hell'd you get so lucky!!??
    Excellent acquisition man. I look forward to the progress pix.
    Michael

5. 1946chevytruck

1946chevytruck
    BANNED
    from london ,ky

6. bonesy

bonesy

I like the dove gray - it just has a vintage feel. I can't wait to see it on the grille.

7. 38zephyr

38zephyr

I'm trying to get a set from a friend right now . Neat 37 ! Thanks

Cars build themselves in California while you hang out at the beach ;)

8. custom50

custom50
    from Indiana

Very nice, nothing says custom more to me then a nice (Carson top).

9. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Wow, I've had my cabriolet for 5 years and haven't done shit to it. This is quite awesome! I wanted to do the same thing with mine... hard chop and nearly stock height. Bastard! Hahaha! :D Keep the updates coming.

10. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

Badass!

I have the same tailings in my 36, looks like they are at the same height too.

Where are you reloacitng the gas filler? I need to re-do mine.

Mine looks like the Twin Blower version of the Kookie Car to your Lightin Bug version...
    That's a compliment.

11. 38zephyr

38zephyr

Thanks guys ! I got a flip up lic. bracket from a 69 Camaro to use with a neat old "Mike's Ford " dealer frame I've had for ever and 36 plates . Allen is relocating the filler neck right behind the plate as we speak , should look nice and clean and function nicely . I didn't want to weld up the holes for the spare bracket , that deal plus the neat little orig. "Hollywood" lic. plate light I just scored on ebay will cover all of them perfectly . That kind of stuff sure is fun . I'll take shots when it's put together so you can see what I mean .

12. 36couper

36couper
    from ontario

The only problem with those tail lights is that they point up rather than out. That is, they aren't that easy to see by anyone following behind you. On my '35, I build the fender up a bit at the top of the tail light so they would be angled towerd the rear rather than up.
    Nonetheless, fantastic '36 you have there!

13. RAY With

RAY With

cool ride and nice score--I want it!!!

14. Gotzy

Gotzy

Cool one mate, nice score!!

15. 38zephyr

38zephyr

Been busy with other stuff for a few days , skirts came in and tried one on . A little flat on the sides , Allen will fix that on the english wheel . Almost done with the gas tank , drop the body back on once the tank is in . Skirts start giving it the let's go rob a bank look .

Attached Files:

16. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

Looks great, keep the updates comming.

17. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

38zepheyr, Your '36 IS what I think of when I think Early Custom car!
    Taildraggers at there BEST!
    I'll be watchin' your progress with great interest.

Nick.

18. bonesy

bonesy

What happened to the updates? I need a fix...

19. holy crap that is rad! it would be super cool to find out the history on this car.

20. 38zephyr

38zephyr

Got a little sidetracked with sick kids and wife , Easter egg hunts etc. Gonna be back at it hopefully this week . Brakes are about done , tranny is done , lots of sub assemblies done , plating pretty much done , have 3 sets of hubcaps done . Scored a windshield frame , that was one of the hardest things I ever had to find . Scored some cherry orig. cyclone heads for it . Lots of behind the scenes type stuff that won't translate as pictures . Hopefully body back on the frame this week and full steam ahead . My name is Mike by the way , never been to Manteca though .

Attached Files:

21. kustomtbird

kustomtbird

Great find, I know it will come out perfect, I've seen your other projects, other then the Zepher this is the best find. Just don't sell it when your done.

22. 38zephyr

38zephyr

Thanks Tony (kustomtbird) , coming from you it means a lot !!! Youv'e been around the best of the best for a long time . Unfortunately I usually end up having to sell stuff because I can't afford to keep it . If you are a FNG , I must really be a spring chicken !

Here is an update from today : Body is fine sanded and about ready to put on the frame tomorrow hopefully , which will be wrapped in plastic to avoid overspray while Jake puts the final coats of paint on and cuts and rubs it . Brand new 59A motor with 4" crank and all good stuff are in , Cyclone speed equip. , headers getting nickle plated , brand new rebuilt 39 trans in , brakes done , pedals done , steering almost done , pretty much all plumbed , getting pretty close . Doors , decklid , front sheetmetal etc. already have final paint and ready to go on , pretty much everything is here for assembly . I'm waking up in the middle of the night excited thinking about it !

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2009
  23. Making good progress. I love this "re" build

24. autobilly

autobilly

38zephyr, I only just found this thread but am totally impressed with your score and the progress that you've made. Rat Basterd hit the nail on the head, Carson and hot Flattie equiped '36 Cab with history, very cool!
    If you didn't already, check out this thread by Eryk:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=344038

25. agentwaldo

agentwaldo
    from Ventura

Looks like you and those Decker boys are gonna set a new record for fastest and nicest rebuild of all time . One hell of a nice job on an exceptional old /early custom that is deserving of this level of attention. Looks great out under the trees too, kind of a back-to-the forties backyard look, very authentic! You are indeed a lucky man, for finding the car in the first place, and for finding the right guys to 'do' it up right too . GO BUY LOTS OF LOTTO TICKETS WHILE YOU ARE ON A ROLL! Waldo

26. cvstl

cvstl
    from StL MO
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

All the right stuff....great find and build.

27. 38zephyr

38zephyr

That teen angel stuff is great ! Allen and Jake Decker are my heroes and could/would/should be famous household names , all they care about is finding and building really nice stuff for the fun of it and to have it , not for publicity or whatever .

28. 38zephyr

38zephyr

Here's a couple quick shots from this morning , body is on ! Almost running , a few quick button ups and it will be ready to fire . Try to get , rear fenders , rumble lid , doors and running boards mounted up as soon as Jake finishes a quick cut and rub on the paint . And I didn't even have to use my A.K. , today was a good day .

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  29. 38zephyr

38zephyr

Grille and fenders are rubbed out , got the doors on . All happy that I got my waterfall and radio bezel back from nickle plating , painted the trim black , putting it together at 5 a.m. this morning and I cracked the cherry original glass -UGGHHH. Anybody got a lens ? It's not flat , it's curved glass , maybe I can fake one out of Lexan .

Attached Files:

30. Django

Django
    from Chicago