Register now to get rid of these ads!

Today I start building my AD.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by xmlc216x, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Plenty of people on here know Bruce and I'm pretty sure that he still has and still drives the truck all the time. Someone can probably find out.

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep, that is what they look like. They were popular to put on anything but 49 Mercs back when that truck was originally built.

3. dropped53

dropped53
    from Hanford CA

Looking good, great job

4. xmlc216x

xmlc216x
    from MS

I should really sweep my carport... Getting a little messy for sure. I will definitely be there, it's just a matter of whether my truck will be there too! haha

Someone tell Bruce he needs to stop by my thread and post some pictures of that beauty!!!

Thanks!

My parents are coming up this weekend, so hopefully I'll be able to get a good start on making the motor mounts with the help of my dad. Also, I'm going to try to make it out to the local junkyard to check out a T5 and v8 bellhousing to go with it.

5. Does dt50chevy have a build on this site or pics of his truck? I would like to check it out.

6. houston54

houston54

Looking at the rust repairs needed to the cab gave me deja vu from my 54 project.

Be careful with that tripod engine stand. They tend to tip over very easily.

You might think about welding some outriggers off the front as insurance.

Good luck with the build.

7. xmlc216x

xmlc216x
    from MS

I don't know about a build thread, but he has an album if you click on his avatar. He just recently added some pics of the body mounts for me too look at.

Yeah my number one focus is to get it on the road, so I'll worry about rust repair after that happens. I was kind of wondering about the stability of the 3 legged stand, but I wrenched pretty hard on a few bolts last night and it never acted off balance. I might weld on some safety feet just in case though!

8. xmlc216x

xmlc216x
    from MS

Dad came up and helped me out today. I picked up a th350 last night for a buck fifty. So we cleaned it up and bolted it to the motor. Swapped the massive motor mounts on the engine for a set made for a 61 impala since they are much lower profile. Played around with a few positions and this is where I think it will sit:
    [​IMG]
    Can't see it to well but it looks like I moved it back 3 inches or so from where the stock mounts were on the frame.
    [​IMG]
    And this picture shows what kind of tunnel I'll need.
    [​IMG]

9. xmlc216x

xmlc216x
    from MS

So I was lazy today. All I did was make the lower motor mounts and weld them in partially. Set the motor down and slid some bolts in.
    [​IMG]
    Maybe tomorrow I'll get to start on the trans crossmember.

10. st.rod

st.rod

You got the stance just about right!

Larry

11. xmlc216x

xmlc216x
    from MS

Thanks. I've driven several lowered vehicles before so hopefully I can keep it that low...

12. xmlc216x

xmlc216x
    from MS

Unfortunately there are no updates this week as I've been feeling a little under the weather and work has been very busy this week. I should get tons done next week and I have a 3 day weekend for the first....so, expect pictures then!

Also, planning on doing something a little different than brackets and crossmembers then... something a little more exciting

13. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

Hey! You still up for a visitor next week?

14. built2grind

built2grind

Just think, the hardest part is already done.........you started. Stay motivated and take your time it will be worth it in the end.

15. xmlc216x

xmlc216x
    from MS

Yeah man, how long you going to be in town? I'm off monday and I should be around. Hopefully the wife won't mind if I crank out a transmission crossmember :D

The only thing that gets me down sometimes is not having any hot rod guys around to come over and help every once in a while. My neighbor brought home a '54 caddy 4 door the day before I hauled my truck in to start on and he hasn't even touched it since then. I don't know if he is not motivated (I don't see how he could be un-motivated seeing the transformation mine has made from a pile of parts to a roller in short time) or if he doesn't have any money for it or what....

16. classicdreamer

classicdreamer
    from nyc
    1. A-D Truckers

Hey man, keep it going. I have a 55 1st series I am trying to finish up. Just got side tracked on a 52 coe i picked up last week. I hope to drive my 55 by april-ish. Always nice to see another 54/55 truck out there.
    Keep up!

17. xmlc216x

xmlc216x
    from MS

Thanks! Hopefully mr. stinson will be over next weekend. If he makes it over here then I believe the ol' '54 will get a little off the top!

18. getting there man, keep that momentum up!

19. xmlc216x

xmlc216x
    from MS

I really need to find some wheels... looking for some oem style (with the bumps) 15" wheels with a 5x4.75 bolt pattern for cheap. Been looking locally for some 70's-80's fullsize car steel wheels that'll take hub caps, but I've had no luck.

Any ideas?

20. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

I won't be in town until monday afternoon. Let's work something out and I'd be happy to come out.

21. xmlc216x

xmlc216x
    from MS

PM'd you my info

Anyone else want to come? haha

22. Knoxville

Knoxville

You don't mess around do you?! Moving fast, and it's looking good so far.
    I'm researching and gettin my shit together to start mine. Already have a 2000 s-10 and an LS1/4l60e combo. Thanks for keepin us updated.

23. xmlc216x

xmlc216x
    from MS

An update!
    [​IMG]
    Scored this aluminum intake pretty cheap but as the sharpied arrow shows there is a pretty good crack(s). I figure I'll pick up some aluminum wire for the mig and see what I can learn!

24. Hotrod95

Hotrod95

This thing is sick!

25. xmlc216x

xmlc216x
    from MS

Thanks man, love your T!

Can't wait to build a real hot rod!

26. xmlc216x

xmlc216x
    from MS

Awesome Christmas! Got a few tools and was visiting my uncle's house talking to him about keeping an eye out for some tools I needed and he says come look...
    [​IMG]
    He said he didn't need any of this stuff so I could have it! So now I have a variable speed drill press, 10 gallon compressor, and a die grinder! I tried to give him some money but he wouldn't take it... I'm pumped!

27. Knoxville

Knoxville

How do you keep gettin all this free stuff?! Damn.....

28. Wicked50

Wicked50

Good score I have an uncle that is the same way and what he doesnt give me I can barrow.

29. xmlc216x

xmlc216x
    from MS

Honestly, I don't know? Friends and family? I used to work with my uncle during summer breaks and christmas holidays doing the home improvement stuff and he always paid me well and kept me well fed. Sometimes I can't remember why I left to go back to college haha.

When I was still in school he gave me a kitchen table, washer, dryer, and some other furniture and appliances that I can't even remember. People get new stuff and just let him have the old stuff that he removes. He said he could've filled warehouses with ceiling fans that he had the chance to acquire over the years!

30. xmlc216x

xmlc216x
    from MS

[​IMG]
    Tried out a bunch of ways to strip paint and rust tonight
    [​IMG]
    Cleaned up a door pretty good while I shouldve been fabbing a transmission crossmember
    [​IMG]
    Gonna take forever to clean up the whole truck!