Register now to get rid of these ads!

'Tobacco King' Rocket Car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Apr 24, 2008.

1. THE ONE

THE ONE
    from PHOENIX AZ

Wow, I love that car. It has jumped into my top 10 all time favorite cars. The stance is perfect. Thanks for the post Ryan.

2. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

Pure unapologetic bad ass. Anyone want to go halves on it with me?

Doc.

3. GREASEMONKEY72

GREASEMONKEY72

nice

see, autos are cool to

4. I never knew Zach Reynolds, but I hear from folks who lived in Winston Salem, NC that he was one seriously crazy MF. Somebody who was there should jump in here with the details...

5. Sick car, great story. That thing looks killer. Somebody has to find out track times....8's,9's? I'd almost be disappointed if it didn't fetch $250k.

6. CAS

CAS

7. Lost1

Lost1

What a survivor!

8. soberTOOLman

soberTOOLman

that thing is awesome!!!! the stances is so mean! i love it!!

9. Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Asphalt Outlaw Hero
    from Dixie

[​IMG] I remember him very well.He was killed in 1981 in a plane crash.He had 30+ motorcycles and about 16 cars.I bought this Honda at his estate sale in 82.
    It was pretty gonzo.He had RC Engineering build it to use at the Cabbage patch in Daytona for street racing.It was undefeated.The motor cost $5,000 in 1971!:eek:
    For the record.The only money he got was from his grandmother.His father cut him out of the will.He and his siblings were avid ANTI-SMOKERS.Note the Dr.Death on the side of tank and cancer town allusion.[​IMG]

10. Absolutely WICKED!

11. The "Caution- Fan" sticker under the hood seems a little ironic. Maybe there should be a sticker under the back bumper.... "Caution- Thrust" ?

Is that an old portable phone or radio under the dash? Maybe for calling the fire department?

Awesome bad ass car.

12. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

misses the 63 cutoff year.............. only kiddin, i'd cut off my left nut with a rusty razor blade to own that car! damn that's wicked!

13. Landmule

Landmule
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm glad Asphalt Outlaw Hero took the time to post a bit more about the departed Mr. Reynolds. There is obviously quite a story behind Zach Reynolds. It would be fun to learn even more about the sort of person that devised and built this over the top car!
    Just when you think you've seen it all...

14. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Opening this thread, I thought Turbonique Rocket Axle was just a trade name for the differential or something..........
    ............. then I read on and realize I need to win the lottery this week.

15. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Yes, it is an automatic transmission, a beefed C-6. Turbonique also sponsored a '65 Chevy Chevelle, with a much beefed-up frame, warmed-up 396 and M21 Muncie 4-speed, 4.11 ring.
    This was run once in A-Factory Experimental, (a 'time only' run) at a Florida strip.
    The car launched, and the driver flipped the switch as soon as it hooked. The Turbonique hissed, the Chev pulled a wheelie, and over-revved the 396, blew the engine. With the clutch in, the car blazed through the traps in the 11s!
    Consider the available slicks and ladder technology back then. Yipes!
    I saw it run at Fremont Drags in Calif. later on. Had a big block then, with a B&M Hydro Stick. You should have heard it buzz through the 4 ratios...

16. Dan10

Dan10
    from Joplin

Mr. Reynolds was an avid HAM Radio enthusiast. That is what is bolted under the dash.

17. Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Asphalt Outlaw Hero
    from Dixie

A little more history on him.He at one time lost his license.He had somebody pull him around on his bicycle on the freeway at 70! He also had a 427 Cobra that he took to Holman-Moody to step on the motor some more.He had 70 Hemi Cuda that had 2,8xx miles on it.It was probably the 1st muscle car to be sold in a sale for 6 figures.He loved drag racing.He was also a good stunt pilot but that is how he met his demise.Unfortunatly,he had 3 passengers in the plane.

18. autobilly

autobilly

She-it! Tough just doesn't quite sum it up. I had no idea that cars like this (equiped with rocket rear axle) existed. The "Tabacco King" sure fulfilled it's brief, scares the snot outa me!

19. That's one way to make a Galaxie haul ass... the other involves a C130 and 10,000 feet of altitude.

Cool story though... I would have like to have met that guy.

Sam.

20. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

I think I made one of the larger mistakes of my life by selling that drag axle last year. Sure, I made some dough....but damn....

21. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

No, I sold some of the little ones to HAMB'ers but the big one went to a guy on the east coast that already had one on a dragster.

22. nite-flyer

nite-flyer

Cool ride! I remember seeing a 65 Chevelle with a Turbonique race the old Southeastern Dragway. It was fast but don't remember the ETs.

23. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

This car has it.

24. Tinman

Tinman
    from Orange, CA

I'm curious if anyone knows how much this beast sold for?

25. twotoejoe

twotoejoe

I heard the figure was $375,000. Wow!

26. twotoejoe

twotoejoe

After reading this entire thread I'll add this: I bought a couple of cars out of the Zach Reynolds estate back in the late 80's. One was a mid 60's red mopar. I didn't keep it but a couple of days, but IIRC it had the big 2x4 wedge engine, 4 speed. I do remember it had the large Ham radio antennas on it, (radios had been removed) and some lettering on it. Specifically it had an '8 ball' painted on the roof over the drivers door. I can't remember the other lettering, but it had some on the front fenders. And of course it had a trailer hitch to haul his motorcycle trailer.

I also owned probably the oddest car he owned. 62 Catalina, black 389 trophy V8 with tripower, 4 speed, 8 lug wheels, with red interior. That in itself does not make it odd. What makes it odd is the fact that it was a 4 door hardtop! Not a 4 door sedan, but a 4 door hardtop! And it had the trailer hitch too. I kept that car a while, but being a 4 door I just couldn't justify keeping it back in the 80's. I think I sold it for around $8500 or so, and it was a very nice car!

27. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

Dude, you were in Indy and didn't call? Where's the love? I wish I'd have known that was here. I still have a can of thermolene in the garage that I would have donated back to the cause. Neat-o car. Don't blame him for not selling it.

28. Tinman

Tinman
    from Orange, CA

Mike, I envy very few men on this planet... but you're up there now.

Thanks for the info, man.

29. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

I wonder what the whole "mister hothead" thing was all about.

I have a real soft spot for 60s style 63 1/2 and 64 big Fords. That one is the definative style. Too bad the shifter is in the wrong place.

I have told this before but when I was about 10-11 years old, it was Saturday night, the movies had just got out (very small midwestern town) I hear the rumble of a V8 like I have never heard and a black 63 1/2 Galaxy, with that same stance, came up the street with the dumps open. It had the words "Bad News" on the lower front fender. It was a moment that shaped my life. I have been in love with those cars every since.