Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods To use or not to use?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thegearhead, Mar 28, 2018.

1. thegearhead

thegearhead

Hey everyone i got a small engine from my 50 Crosley and from the factory it came with pal nuts on the connecting rods and dist nut. Now that it will be getting re assembled i'm not sure weather to get new pal nuts and use them or use loctite without the pal nuts? Just something in my head thinking about sheet metal nuts as a locking nut don't put me at ease haha

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Smitty's32

Smitty's32

Forget the pal nuts, use Loctite.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. ditto loctite.
    I've never trusted pal nuts on the second or third go-round. always concerned about one getting loose in the engine if the delicate ribs were damaged on the last tightening.

WHY BE ORDINARY ?

4. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

5. thegearhead

thegearhead

blue loctite should be ok then once i get all threads clean and dry.

6. 52Muntz

52Muntz
    from PNW

Do you have the option of using a crimped metal nut instead of the free spinning nut with the palnut? In my line of work (aerospace) we always use some form of mechanical locking because loctite has proven to not always be reliable 100% of the time. That said we don’t use palnuts as our means of mechanical lock, we use crimped metal nuts.
    Also, I’m not sure blue loctite is compatible long term with oil or oil vapor so you may want to look into how it behaves in an oil environment + heat before it goes into your engine. The last thing you’ll want is that nut backing off.

7. You can get stover lock nuts in about any size you might need. They will stay put.