Register now to get rid of these ads!

To trade or not to trade ......

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by greasemunkee, Aug 9, 2011.

1. greasemunkee

greasemunkee
    from San Diego

So here's the deal, for the last few months I've been driving my parts hauler to work when I don't feel like sitting behind the wheel of the gas saver, which is more often than not. The parts hauler? 1964 Chevy El Camino. Nothing spectacular, just a nice solid little truck 350/350 with black primer on it. The damn thing runs strong and it's never let me down. It's done such a good job getting parts to and from the house that I've grown kind of attached to it. Today as I was walking to the "office" I was approached by a gentleman who asked if I would trade it straight up for a 1952 Chevy Pick up. From what the gentleman says, it's got the stock 235 in it with a 3 on the tree. He claims the tranny has been redone as well as the differential, and that it runs fairly strong. Now, I've wanted one of those for a while, but the fact that he would just offer it up has me leery. He did mention it has an idle problem he can't figure out, but he thinks it may be the carb. He says the RPM will raise and then lower and back up again. I've also heard 2nd hand that there's some electrical issues which need to be worked out on it. I guess the question is what would you do? The Elky is pretty much daily driver ready, as to where the pick up seems like it would need some work.

2. burnin53

burnin53
    from cuba,n.y.

It's your choice. I've had both. I'd keep the El Camino.

3. Used Up Junk

Used Up Junk
    from Merced, CA

I'd have to go with the '52 myself. Electrical issues in a truck like that are no big deal and the idle problem kinda sounds like a vac. leak. But if you dig your Elky don't trade if off if you don't really want to. Remember, it's only a good deal if you're happy after the deal is done. I've known guys that traded off cars that they loved because the deal was too good to pass up then kicked themselves afterward. I kind of like having a daily driver that I can still tinker with too so I may be biased.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  4. voodoo1

voodoo1

keep the Elko. Got one myself, not gona sell it.

5. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Exactly what Used Up Junk said.

6. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

both cool rigs.
    i'd go for the one with the least rust and bondo!
    TP

7. I had a '65 elki years ago, jump in, fire it up and go. Drove the dog #$%t out of that car. No brainer to me, keep the elki.

8. Fuck no, trade a V8 that runs great for a 6 with problems?

9. Around here it would be a lot harder to find a decent '64 El Camino than an AD Chev truck. El Camino would be a better daily driver too.

10. The37Kid

The37Kid

11. You live in America and don't know what an El Camino is? Kidding, right? We do realize that video was lame.

12. The37Kid

The37Kid

When someone mentions El Camino the 1959 is the only one that think of. :)

13. Ah yes, the holy grail of El Caminos...

14. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

I'm with Richard D---why trade for trouble????

15. had both trucks, and liked them both. sometimes it is good to change but... when i think about it i wish i had the elcamino back. i bought the one i had for $200 patched the leaking gas tank, and rotted rear wheel arch, went through dmv inspection [passed] then drove it to florida the next day. 2 quarts of oil to every fill up but made the 10 day trip and then many months of daily driving and hauling.

16. Its your choice. Personally I never liked el caminos and I love ad trucks. But from my experience the ad trucks are not very comfortable to drive every day as a stocker. Underpowered, and without changing the trans you dont have 1st gear synchro. My 65 Impala was way more comfortable to get in and drive. Just my 2 cents.

17. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

The other fella knows what he's got, and he's wants to trade for what you have...that ought to tell you something.
    Lot to be said for a neat dependable parts hauler you can count on. Unless you just wanted another project truck...
    Good Luck

18. uc4me

uc4me

I love those trucks but I think the El Camino is a much better choice as a DD

19. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Maybe ask for some boot money??
    Would then see if he is still interested, or feels there is really something wrong with his ????
    Good luck, both nice rides...
    Cheers...............

20. Dave Rondou

Dave Rondou

I'd keep the El Camino, already proven dependable driver, besides being a cool car. I had a '70 SS Camino that I sold. Wish I still had it.

21. customs by jason

customs by jason

if you really wanted the truck id ask for boot money also

22. Why not see what the guy wants for the truck without trading. That way if the deal is good enough you can have both and then decide which one to sell.

23. Harms Way

Harms Way

I'm still kicking myself for selling my old 64' ElCamino, and that was 12 years ago,.. I never realised how much I liked that lil' Critter until it was gone,.. one of the very best "take it to cruise night/Daily beaters" I ever owned. KEEP THE ELKY !

Attached Files:

24. brad chevy

brad chevy

Keep the 64,its served you well,hell you can even pull a descent trailer with it if need be. Try that with the 6-banger pickup and see what happens.

25. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Hard to believe those trucks are only 12 years apart. The bondo advice would get me thinking, but in the end do you need a project or not? Think I'd keep the 64, even though I'd rather have a 52.

26. Paul B

Paul B

Keep the camino

27. Gman0046

Gman0046

Keep the ELKY. Way cooler and more rare. There's millions of 46-54 Chevy P/U's.

28. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

Trade him for a week so you both get a chance for a nice long test drive. You'll learn a lot about the truck that way.

29. Weasel

Weasel

They made them in other years too....??:eek:

30. K10

K10

I really like AD trucks. But they are really a dime a dozen due to the sheer volume of them. The Elky is something that you have sorted out and rely on. The Pickup will need a fair bit of work it sounds like. A straight trade is not a fair trade in my opinion.