Register now to get rid of these ads!

History To the Mountains

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, May 31, 2024.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

J.Ukrop submitted a new blog post:

To the Mountains

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Last edited: May 31, 2024
  2. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Norm C's LEGENDARY Austin Healy race car..... Legend had it Dean Moon wouldn't sell him any parts because it tore the Moonbeam a new one..... and Dean got mad.
    Or so the stories go.... Just a weapon

41 coupe likes this.
  3. noboD

noboD

It's not Bandimere, mountain is MUCH closer.

4. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Man that massive scrolling advertisement is obnoxious.

post is good though! Was the Bonneville drag strip in Utah as the name would suggest or California like the story suggests? I didn’t catch that you mentioned that.

5. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

It was in Utah—I updated the post!

rod1 and Tim like this.
  6. It was in Salt Lake City
    https://dragstriplist.com/utah

Tim likes this.
  7. BigRedRivi

BigRedRivi

Well I might figure that he's retiring and that my friends is a good thing, just mamaged to do it myself after working 53yrs. Ok yeah that actually was 4 summers of high school but worked all summer, so technically 49 full years but I've earned my free time. Now it's time to travel to car shows and work on the collector car and kick back and enjoy the mountains here.

8. 29Sleeper

29Sleeper
    from SoCal

I hope he visited in winter. Too often when one retires they head for the hills forgetting how the weather effects old bones and the distance to medical care we need as we age.

9. Davkin

Davkin
    from SLC, Utah

Being a Utah resident I was a regular at Bonneville Raceway. Bonneville also had a 1/4 mile oval and that's my earliest memory of that track since my Mom cosponsored a sprint car there in the 70's. I didn't make it to the drag strip until the 1990's and ran my '64 El Camino in the brackets for fun a few times. Bonneville Raceway was purchased by Spencer Young the owner of a large Chevy dealership, he bulldozed it and rebuilt it as Rocky Mountain Raceway, I went there many times as a spectator and once as a participant, it was a great venue but unfortunately a few years ago Rocky Mountain Raceway was shut down and we no longer have a drag strip in northern Utah.

rod1 likes this.
  10. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

I will be the first to welcome him to our beautiful State of Wyoming. You can find just about everything you want here, but racing venues can be a long way apart. I hope he likes skiing. Winters are long here and the eastern part of the state has strong winds a lot of the time. It's a different world and I think he'll like it here. :)