Register now to get rid of these ads!

To Stripe or not to Stripe. '56 Buick

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nailhead_brent, Apr 9, 2008.

1. nailhead_brent

nailhead_brent

Well, as many of you know, I am building my '56 Buick Wagon, and now paint is done, most of the chrome is back on(not pictured) and it is coming close to being somewhat finnished.

My question is Should I have it stripped or not.( My Brother is a Pin Striper so he will be doing it).

I am thinking the body looks so clean and simple right now with out any kind of pin stripes, but was also some little subtle highlights would add to it some.

Any Ideas? Color Options for the stripes?

The interior has black, white, dark blue and light blue in it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

If you do stripe it.... Keep it simple !!

Car looks Great like it is, Dont ruin it with 3000 miles of stripping like some of these Mike Ness Wannabes do :D

3. KooDaddy

KooDaddy
    from Wis.

How bout a little striping the color of your wheels ? looks like Auqua? ( I think thats the spelling)

4. BuickBorracho

BuickBorracho

If it were, Id leave it as is. It looks so sharp now. But if you must strip, I agree with De Soto, keep it simple.

5. nailhead_brent

nailhead_brent

Thanks man, that is the reason I don't realy want to stripe it. I see so many great car ruined by miles of pinstripes.

6. nailhead_brent

nailhead_brent

The wheels are white now.

7. brewsir

brewsir

dove grey striping on the hood and tailgate and maybe a nice line seperating the 2 tone if you don't have chrome for it. I would do it just because it's your brothers work...that makes it cool no matter what anyone else thinks.

8. buckeye_01

buckeye_01

I would keep it very simple. My Buick has a few small licks on the trunk and hood. I didn't want 200 miles of wonky ass stripes all over the place. I have blanket seat covers, and I had the striper do it in a shade of green that is very close to my covers. He highlighted it with a little black. Remember, K.I.S.S.

9. KooDaddy

KooDaddy
    from Wis.

Whats the thin painted ring on outside rim of your caps in the pictures???

10. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

As Brewsir said.....

If you want to do something cus its your brothers work, Do a nice piece on the dash.

It was a Trend in the '50s & '60s to stripe the dash, Most of Von Dutch's best work were simple dash pieces.

Check the Hirohata Merc. Titled "THE CITY"

11. nailhead_brent

nailhead_brent

Now that is a good idea. I never though of dove grey.

Maybe that and a really light blue.

I do have the chrome for the side, I just put it all back on laast night.

And My brother is always happy to stripe something, although he wont stripe his own car.

Thanks everyone.

12. nailhead_brent

nailhead_brent

They used to be blue. Sorry!

13. Lazer5000

Lazer5000

That thing is BAD! I would just put all the bight work back on it and rock it like that.

14. nailhead_brent

nailhead_brent

I had the dash done already, Kelli Kandy Stripes from Sac. did my glove box door a while back before the car was painted, it is a pretty smiple looking pin-up with a few classy lines around it.

15. Jay71

Jay71

This is funny cause Ive been trying to decide the same thing for my wagon for a while. Ive finally come to the conclusion that I like the body clean & smooth, sans lines. I will be having the dash done up in a couple weeks though. If you do decide to get some striping done I agree with everyone else, clean and subtle is the way to go. Got any pics of the dash?

16. jdubbya

jdubbya

I would do a little on the nose, and maybe a little on the tailgate... that would be it. I would stay in the light blues, maybe a couple different shades, just enough to break up the white a little bit. It would have to be real fine lines though.

Cool car!

17. poorboy

poorboy

i would leave it as is. i think it looks good!

18. nailhead_brent

nailhead_brent

First off your wagon is a sweeeet car. I couldn't leave it in Paso, I just kept admiring.

And Simplicty is the finest!

I don't have any pictures on hand of the Dash, I will try and get some tonight.

The Dash is all White Angel hair, and a mexican blanket for now, but so is the rest of the interior untill I get my tranny done I have to live with that for an interior, then it gos to get stiched in white tuck and roll and blue pipping. My girl freind and I did the interior for like $25 with some fabric at the store for now though.

I will get some pictures of the dash stripes tonight.

19. very very little on the blue sections and then real small

ok be daring just do one side!

20. Jay71

Jay71

Thanks. Hopefully I'll get to check your wagon out at Santa Maria. I always dig seein pics of it on here. Dont see to many of them, especially that clean.

21. nailhead_brent

nailhead_brent

My Goal is Santa Maria, it is cuttin' it close with my budget, as the tranny is still not done and I still haven't paid for it. but once it is done, paid for and in, it is only fine tuning from there!

And then Santa Maria Bound!

22. BobK49

BobK49

Great car! All that white paint, looks like a canvas to me. I say stripe the hell out of it. The color of your choice.