Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs To scoop or not to scoop that is the question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scrap_metal, Mar 10, 2018.

1. scrap_metal

scrap_metal

So I'm in a dilemma. I love 50s cars with rear quarter scoops and its something you don't see done very often anymore. I did a quick mock up of them and I'm kind of digging it. The second pic is short quarter panel and the third pic it extended more to the door making the quart panel longer. If I go this route I think a mild chop will be needed to make it look right to my eyes. Just not sure at this point. Would like some in put from some other. Thanks
    20180308_175613.jpg 20180308_180059.jpg 20180308_174854.jpg

28Hud, Lou kriger and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. 34Phil

34Phil

20180308_174854.jpg Consider just taking an 8" tall vertical slice off the front of the bulge and tunnelling it. It would match door pillar angle. For your scoop door pillar needs to be angled and quarter window mechanism tilted.

Unkl Ian likes this.
  3. dan31

dan31

I dig the second pic more than the third and ya if you do chop it laying the pillars over to match would look good .

HunterYJ likes this.
  4. desotot

desotot

You might want to chop the roof and slant the B pillars, then decide on the scoops when you have a better perspective.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
    28Hud, dan31, Max Gearhead and 2 others like this.

5. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

That’s going to be beautiful. Please make it shine.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

6. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

Slight chop, tasteful scoops.

dan31 and scrap_metal like this.
  7. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

I personally like the scoop in post #4...the one you mocked up flattens the round curve of the bulge in the quarter...and that is one of its best styling points imo. That being said..you are the one that has to like it...

8. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

The scoop in post #4 reminds me of the one in the Black Panther 20180310_203448.png

9. I much prefer the smaller scoops at the bottom of the fenders.

Mick

10. scrap_metal

scrap_metal

I thought the same thing. The first mock up, I had it running the same as the b pillar but it didn't look right. I think your right about angling the b pillar. 20180308_173723.jpg

11. scrap_metal

scrap_metal

I think your right on chopping then scoops. That's a lot to think about. If I was going to chop it I was planning on next winter so I can cruise around this summer.

12. scrap_metal

scrap_metal

True it is one of the styling points of these cars. Both sides of my fenders are like hamburger meat. they are bashed, stretched and all sorts of good stuff from some one doing shitty body work. To repair I could wheel some up but I was thinking of the big scoops instead if I'm going to be putting some hours in to repair them any ways. I always liked the scoops.

13. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I like it either with or without the b pillar angled but it needs the scoop to be aligned with the angle of that pillar.

Can you put a lot more angle to the scoop just to see what it would look like? Say maybe 2 to 3" more forward at the top of the scoop?

Love the idea of the big scoop! Haven't seen a custom in a long time with a scoop!

Don't give up on this one!!

14. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Don't scoop it at all. Chop it and slant the B pillar. Your scoop idea is too overwhelming. Looks massive
    and disrupts the natural flow of the design making the rear fender appear way too long, especially since you have already extended the rear of the fender.

zzford likes this.