Register now to get rid of these ads!

To Scallop or Flame,,, Help me with the answer :)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 57wagon, Nov 17, 2004.

1. 57wagon

57wagon

We have made some decent progress on the 39 over the past week, original motor and tranny are out, front end is off, interior is gutted, wiring is out, all the glass is out, and rear fenders are off...

My future Mrs. 57 Wagon is doing most of the work herself.. She kind of got the bug when I was re-doing the wagon last winter and wanted a car of her own. So this happend to be sitting across the street, so my neighbor and I pushed it home and I walked in the house and said I LOVE YOU HONEY....

Anyway, my original idea was to chop it, but she likes the look of the car the way it is, her only question right now is how we are going to paint it.....

Here are a couple of side shots that may give some inspiration to the Photoshop People out there [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyone got any pics of similar cars with different paint schemes???

Thanks,

Steve

2. JimC

JimC
    from W.C.,Mo.

Personaly, I would use a single color, either pinstriped mildly, or just left alone.

I would suggest thet she go to Carnut.com and look around at similarly styled cars to get a feel for what they look in various colors.
    I am sure if she looks at a lot of different crs, one color scheme will emerge for her.
    Good luck on the rebuild.
    Cool car!
    Jim

3. Coupe-De-CAB

Coupe-De-CAB
    from Nor Cal

I agree... no scallops and no flames.. suits that car to be subtle... but clean:)
    CAB

4. The Harpoon

The Harpoon

Yeah, why leroy that machine up?

5. 57wagon

57wagon

[ QUOTE ]
    Yeah, why leroy that machine up?

[/ QUOTE ]

She likes the look of a non-single color car.. I have shown her the carnut website, and she is still looking at ideas, My suggestion to her would be a dark metallic blue with a lighter blue or silver ghost flame right under the trim line, or some subtle scallops along the side.

She is kind of in the planning stages right now, and nothing is really set in stone, just kind of looking for some ideas to show her.

6. Kev Nemo

Kev Nemo

I would go single color fade pearl/ mild scallops on wheel wells. definitely subtle...

7. I hate to be the one to rock the boat (wait, no I don't [​IMG]), but I see spindly-assed flames all over the hood and front fenders to about a foot from the rear fenders. A nice, dark cobalt blue for the body with light to medium blue metallic blue faded flames with a heavy-ass silver metallic outline. But that's just me. I'm more into the hot-rod look as opposed to the gangster car look. [​IMG]

8. I'm in the same boat. [​IMG]
    My wife insist on phantom flames, while I think scalops would fit the lines of our "62 Thunderbird better.

Decisions, Decisions! [​IMG]

9. 57wagon

57wagon

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm in the same boat. [​IMG]
    My wife insist on phantom flames, while I think scalops would fit the lines of our "62 Thunderbird better.

Decisions, Decisions! [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny how our "other half's" have such a big "influence" on these types of decisions...

Ultimatley in my case, is that it is being built as her car, so I will respect what ever decision she comes up with....

10. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

[ QUOTE ]
    I hate to be the one to rock the boat,but I see spindly-assed flames all over the hood and front fenders to about a foot from the rear fenders. I'm more into the hot-rod look as opposed to the gangster car look. [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree... a sedate car, in this world of boring factory colors on the new stuff...won't cut it...It's got to have a "slap-your-face-pay-attention-to-me" paint job...no dark colors tho...bright, with even brighter flames that sez this is a hot rod...not a street rod!

R-

11. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Here's a couple just for kicks. [​IMG]

Pearl purpleish blue satin, with black wheels.

[​IMG]

2" chop, copper metallic candy and root beer metallic candy with black wheels

[​IMG]

12. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I think I've been looking at Swedish cars too much... I'm picturing this down in the rear in a flat yellow/tan color with raspberry scallops on the bottoms of the fenders and on the hood. You know, the ones that look like squared-off letter U's. And naturally, a dressed 401 nailhead with straight pipes out the back.

13. 57wagon

57wagon

Damn Chad!! You are awesome!! I already sent the pics to Donna, and put my vote in for the second scallop job!!!!

14. Hellfish

Hellfish

i like the root beer, but dont like single scallops... like your T

so she gave up on the pink. too bad i was envisioning that car pink with a white angel hair interior [​IMG]

15. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

OD green with a star on the door and a flag on the front bumper.

16. Dirty2

Dirty2

17. DrJ

DrJ

It's a sedan.
    Stately "Resto-Rod look would work, or even the Lowrider look.
    Not the murals and lace, just a nice rich sedate metallic or two tone, I'd do it Metalic gold and candy rootbeer.
    Scallops are just something to hide road rash or a way to tell sprint cars apart on a 1/2 mile track.
    Flames are for HOTRODS and without even chopping the top this sedan doesn't exactly scream hotrod.
    Ghost flames is an oxymoron the thoughts are mutually exclusive.
    Flames should jump out at you from a block away.
    If she wants subtle, paint a ghost daisy chain down the side.

You say it's her car?
    In the end, it's 100% her decision, hell, if it's your car it's 75% her decision, right?
    Talk all these options over, just to help her make an educated decision. and go with it, as long as she doesn't change her mind after you buy the paint! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

18. Black with black steelies and wide white. Get it as low as you can possibly stand...maybe even bag it if you can afford.

Let's call a spade a spade here. It's a four door. Now that's not to say four doors can't be cool...but they just don't strike me as raked, big and little, fire breathing rods. Flames just don't seem right for it.