Register now to get rid of these ads!

To sale or not and if whats the value

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by EXK, May 13, 2012.

1. I have a few old Tom Kelly paints that i am attached to especial the no credit painting that tom did back in the mid 60's for a very old friend of mine Bunkie. They have been handing in my work shop for many years and in the last 3 or so years i have been aproched to sale them but could not. I recently realized they where getting beat up out in the work shop so i moved them up front to where i park my personal cars for safer keeping. Fast forward to today and i have a collector who is trying to talk me into selling them to him. I told him i might consider selling the 2 smaller paintings but he really wants all three. He did offer me what i consider a decent amount of money for all three but i have no real scence of there value. I do not want or need to sale them but the money he is offering did spark my interest. So any of you have a real idea of what these are worth and would you sale them or keep them and pass them down to my son as planned. Oh if you reather not add to this post please pm me with your thoughts. Thanks in advance, Rick Erickson

Attached Files:

2. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I don't know if even an art appraiser could give you an exact figure. The reason is that Tom's art may not have become something that they are familiar with, as it relates to a very narrow field of interest (car stuff). But just to be safe you might contact some of them and run it by them, after all, those guys on Storage Wars and Pawn Stars seem to find experts for the goofiest stuff who can give them a value.

Very cool artwork, by the way.

Don

3. FlynBrian

FlynBrian

I have things that I wouldn't sell, it would take a insane amount of money for me too sell those things. On that note if he offers you what you feel is a insane amount of money then, maybe? Your paintings are awesome, especially the no credit piece, Very Cool!

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  4. First you don't want to "sale" them. You may want to sell them but you can't SALE them. Much the same way as can't have a "SELL" its impossible.

Cool stuff ! ! Tough call.

You could always invest in some good sealed frames and that would protect them from just about everything.
    Dust, dirt, soot, chemicals, UV, etc. Could be hard to find a place that will SALE you these. However any frame shop will SELL you some and they may even be having a SALE. Could also take them to kinkos and have a prints made that you could have out in the shop.

Last edited: May 14, 2012

5. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I often wonder, when people mix sale and sell in an internet board, do you also speak that way?

it is a popular error, I used to frequent the ebay discussion boards quite a bit and the sale/sell thing is rampant over there.

just curious.. this is a legit question I am not just busting your chops.

6. FlynBrian

FlynBrian

[​IMG]
    Someone stayed at a Holiday Inn Express!

7. VonWegener

VonWegener

I like shops that are decorated. Your three paintings are very nice the rest is really generic stuff hardly worth displaying. Instead of selling your good stuff and being left with nothing why not invest more and having a truly spectacular wall of art?
    There are many pieces of that beatnik culture portrayed by kelly to be found at thrift stores and yard sales. Keeps your mind off cars and customers too.