Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods To Pinstripe Or Not to Pinstripe the 60 Sedan Delivery

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rob-redm, Nov 18, 2016.

Tags:
?
  1. say yes to the pibstriping

67 vote(s)
    69.1%
  2. sey hell no !

30 vote(s)
    30.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Use some turned sliver or gold leaf to make a narrow stripe right on the top of the fenders next to the belt line

Start above one headlight and go right down the side around the back and up the other side, plus a few clean striping lines and you will have a styling Panel

Being it would be on a upper surface the sun will light it up big time , and the nite lights too

Turned leaf trim separates the men from the boys !!

DND

6inarow likes this.
  2. that's one interesting bit I didn't think of ... hmm

3. so some stated the 60 looked like it came out of the late 60's or early 70's... What was the trend in pinstripes in that era of the late 60's ?... most of the books I have are all 50's related Hot Rod & Customs... let's see some late 60's style lick's.. I know things got pretty wild when is came to paints jobs in the era.

4. I agree , less is more idea...restraint for sure... need to see some pics... post some pictures if you have a late 60's inspired pinstripe work... Thank you HOTRODPRIMER

Texas57 likes this.
  5. oldolds

oldolds

6. thanks for the link on that ... interesting low buck option for sure... Just picked up the latest HOT ROD Deluxe today...I was looking at the gold leaf and striping that Von Dutch did in 1969 .... pretty darn cool... not over the top ... (the 23T is killer with a L88 engine as well)

7. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

There's a striper in the pacific northwest named Mitch Kim , very talented and has a good eye for design , I'm sure that he could help steer you in the right direction .

8. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I voted for pinstripes. Not blue (sorry Ron, love your rig) but if you paint a car Orange and Blue in Seattle, Hawk fans are gonna chop it up and send it back to Denver.

Texas57 likes this.
  9. subtle Watson style scallops

10. YES, But Very Subtle, use restraint.

11. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

aint a hot rod without pinstripes, had these added this summer, glove box signed by Dave Kindig of "Bitchin Rides" at GoodGuys Colorado 2016-10-12 03.19.10.jpg 2016-10-12 03.21.41.jpg 2016-10-12 03.15.55.jpg

12. very familiar with Mitch Kim's licks on cars( naughty little caricatures) ... Don't know about the Kindig signature or Kev Dogg on my car (lol) .. restraint for sure.. not sure on scallops...

13. It was painted orange when I bought about from my buddy... blue is not on the list of colors LOL ! thanks for the heads up... Seahawks !

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
  14. No to ghost flames, painted panels, scallops and all that gimmick trash .............
    Remember, LESS is MORE. Maybe a very simple pin stripe here and there.
    Very nice ride. Love it! If it were mine, Id drive it AS IS...................

15. I'm on board with the "LESS is MORE " for sure

16. SmokinBill

SmokinBill

I did this for a friend with vinyl, Temporary and no damage when tired of the look. super cheap and no down time at the paint booth.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

dan31 and low budget like this.
  17. neat truck ! Keep the idea's coming...

18. anyone have some cool vintage late 60's pictures of pinstriping.. I have lots of 50's stuff to looks at... really want to get a late 60's vibe down correct...

19. Hombre

Hombre

I saw your request earlier for period correct 60's stripping. Pin stripping has been around from the Roman ages, nothing new about stripping. I am not sure that there is a PERIOD for pin stripping or a type that was used exclusively in the 60's or any other time period in the modern age.

I can completely understand anyone wanting to stay with in a certain period when building a Hot Rod. I am a traditional guy myself, but I am not a slave to that. When it comes to pin stripping and things like that it has been done in every type and pattern you can think of. I am just not certain anyone can look at a few lines of stripping and say oh yea that was done in the 60's. to many guys today stripping and doing and flavoring there stripping to what they like, no matter the time frame. I mean it either looks good to "YOU" or it doesn't.

I'm not telling you what to do here, as a matter of fact just the opposite I think we all should do what please's us. That works every time. That is unless you are trying to please those that will look at and have it pass there approval. Now if that is the case then that's going to be a complete different conversation.

Texas57 likes this.
  20. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I like this a little better. Gold on orange. A simple Tommy the Greek style stripe in turned gold leaf, with a black pinstripe around it. If you really figure it needs something, this would be a good way to go, IMO. God I HATE those fake speed shop names...

No, you know what, I went back and looked at your first photo, I just cant see any striping on this car. I think its just right the way it is. With the chrome spear along the beltline on the 1/4, I just cant see any striping improving this car. Its just gonna look busy, its not gonna add anything. That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it! Its right the way it is.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
  21. 32Stoker

32Stoker

Watson scallops x2!

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
  22. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

The only change this car needs is to the name on the title, to mine.

SCtattooer and falcongeorge like this.
  23. HA HA HA ! Good one Evan... I did post it on @rodswapper... did I get grief from my buddies... lol

24. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Not recommending this at all but ran across it and had to share.
    [​IMG]
    If I were going to do anything I would consider coming up with a scallop or classic style flame plan or etc. that would take care of the chips that seem to be on the rear fender wells or any other area and also come up with something to fill or subdue the void on the side panels.
    just my .02

Texas57 likes this.
  25. Some nice simple stripes! Use black and cream/off white.

26. 59bones

59bones
    from Illinois

Your car looks great. I am jealous. Yes it needs something to break it up a bit. Here's my opinionated 2 cents. Remember how much you paid for this advice!

If you like the current dark wheel and tire combo, stick with dark pinstripping like black, brown, warm grays. Maybe a LITTLE light or red as an accent. Utilize angular shapes versus swoopy curves placed to accent the long horizontal lines. Your car looks tough, a little mean. Keep it dark and sinister.

These cars look great with scallops but to me that would require a wheel change like Supremes and pinner whites.

If you like the beach/surf wagon vibe go with the lighter colors. Hell you might as well paint the top in creme and put on wide whites (YUCK). Don't forget the longboard.

I agree to take a pass on the blues, greens, purples unless you want to relive the 80s.

Painting the panels could look great on your car cuz the body lines all work well together but skip the FAKE-ASS shop logo.

28. wheel and tire combo has been the same for along time... not into the surf thing (though I do have 51 Ford Woodie)..
    keep it simple ...right..

29. no fake speed shop stuff , etc... that stuff just sucks... yuck !

falcongeorge likes this.
  30. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No stripe. I'd paint it black and do some chrome. If your going to stripe it I like Smokinbills.