Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest To Patch or not to Patch. How do some of you lead or guide your clubs as president

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LilBlue82, Jan 31, 2018.

1. Besides all the reasons already given for a legally recognized club, there's still a few not mentioned...

Insurance. Not the club policy (although it could be important), but what you purchase for coverage on your vehicle. Some companies offer a discount if you belong to a 'legal' club, saving you a few bucks.

Vehicle licensing. Many here have 'classic' or other types of plates, most of them a 'one time' purchase deal, again saving you money with not having to buy them annually. But virtually all of these are restricted use in various ways. Granted, enforcement of these restrictions is hit-or-miss at best, but that may not always be the case; a case in point is occurring in Wisconsin right now... https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/bogus-fender-law-interpretation-in-wisconsin.1150331/ . But 'club' activities is almost always one of the 'acceptable' uses, that may become important down the road.

And of course, political power. A fact of life... While SEMA has been carrying water for the hobby for years, their agenda isn't always the same as ours. Being able to turn out large groups to address issues will almost always get you more attention than an individual will get. Local government is generally pretty supportive of club events, get them on your side and that gives you better entrée into state government. But they want to hear one voice, not a laundry list from individuals.

When I drive my avatar around, I get lots of friendly waves and high-fives, so you know a lot of the general public approves of what we do in a casual way. But if government decides 'we' present some sort of problem, those people aren't going to step up and defend us...

2. Clik

Clik

At the beginning of the movie Two Lane Blacktop there's a nighttime street racing scene with a bunch of guys wearing three piece patches (colors). "INTERNATIONAL BROTHERHOOD of STREET RACERS". Being from the East I originally thought it was a club made up for the movie. With the bold patches and the very descriptive name it seemed like a movie prop. Sometime later I learned of Big Willie Robinson and his wife Tomike. Both passed away a few years back. There's some interviews and footage on YouTube.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. .................I've had this poster of Big Willie and the Street Racers of Los Angeles for almost 50 years. It hangs proudly on my garage wall.:) 20181005_140112.jpg

4. Use the KISS mentality when it come to rules, use common sense and the club will benefit from that, too many rules will be a turn off for some.

At a recent monthly club meeting we decided there will be no more dues, we have a good bank account and never use the money, so we decided to have more picnic's and club outings and let the club pick up the tab, if or when the funds run out we will pay for the event by passing the hat.

Out Club is the oldest continuous CC in the state of South Carolina, 47 years and counting, we have one founding member still active in the club and most of us came along shortly there after.

We enjoy each others company, we all get along, we have about 12 guys that are still active.

Call it what you will but the decision was made years ago the wives or girlfriends are not club members and not invited to meetings, they are included in all other activity's and are always willing to help. HRP

5. Clik

Clik

Very cool Don!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. ............Thanks.