Register now to get rid of these ads!

to louvre or not to louvre

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bloodyjack, Feb 17, 2010.

1. bloodyjack

bloodyjack

I made a trunk lid by making a frame from 1 inch tubing and skinning it with some sheet metal. My original intention was to louvre it to hide my first effort at putting a crown in some sheet steel with a hammer and a shinking disk. It did not turn out too bad so now I can't decide to louvre or not?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. kookee

kookee

3. Jay Rush

Jay Rush

4. DrJ

DrJ

5. When in Paris, do as the Romans.

6. bloodyjack

bloodyjack

louvre

/loov[​IMG]r/ ([SIZE=-1]US[/SIZE] also louver)
    • noun 1 each of a set of angled slats fixed at regular intervals in a door, shutter, or cover to allow air or light through. 2 a domed structure on a roof, with side openings for ventilation.
    [SIZE=-1]— DERIVATIVES[/SIZE] louvred [SIZE=-1]adjective[/SIZE].
    [SIZE=-1]— ORIGIN[/SIZE] Old French lover, lovier ‘skylight’.

I am English and that's the correct spelling, oh and the colour is going to be British racing green and the Coker tyres look great.
    To louvre or not to louvre the boot? that is the question? :)

7. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

That lid looks real good! Id go either way in respect to louvers. Looks clean as is though.

I've had plenty of guys complain about my opinions but FUCK the spelling police.

8. DrJ

DrJ

My Mom is British and she lives in Vancouver, Washington and she learned to spell "American English" a long time ago the way we do here in "the colonies" so you can too.
    And I looked to see where you were residing before posting that joke...

I have Korean tires on my MGB.

Yea, louver the trunk, but keep your boot around the base of the gear shift lever. ;)

And don't say bloody around my Mom or she will still paddle your butt. :cool:

9. bloodyjack

bloodyjack

Seeing as you mentioned butt here is the Oxford English definition of fanny

fanny

• noun ([SIZE=-1]pl.[/SIZE] fannies) 1 [SIZE=-1]Brit.[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]vulgar slang[/SIZE] a woman’s genitals.

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td rowspan="3" align="left" width="35" height="1" valign="top">
    </td><td>
    </td> <td rowspan="2" valign="top"> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td valign="top"> <!--img src="http://www.oup.co.uk/images/covers/0-19-861022-X.gif" valign="top" border="0" alt="Jacket image of the Compact Oxford English Dictionary" vspace="5" hspace="10"--> </td></tr></tbody></table> </td> </tr> <tr> <td>
    </td></tr></tbody></table>

I still laugh hard when anyone mentions a fanny pack

10. Punch the shit out of it!
    How many rows you thinking?
    what size?
    how many?

11. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

Loo-vers are dirt catchers. But I like them. They have an old timey look about them.
    If you do the deed, put some of that magnetized plastic sign stuff inside your deck lid to keep the crap out.

12. roddinron

roddinron

As nice as that turned out, I'd louver it, after all, if you mess it up, you now know you have the skills to make another one.

13. duke182

duke182

that sounds like good advice. never would have thought of that.

14. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

Actually, I am just getting ready to fabricate a frame for my 28 coupe lid. Exactly the same method. We must BOTH know what we are doing!! (smiling)
    By the way, the posts by bloodyjack are right on the button. Glad he explained how to properly speak English. Now everything is tickety-boo!! Gotta go get my bumbershoot, looks like rain!!
    This is a GREAT website for informationj and smiles!!

15. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Well from one roadster A guy to another ,Mine is glass and I wanted louvers ,But the financial thing came into play ,Id have to buy or make a hood ,I think on an A it woukd look down right evil .I mean that in a great way.Id do it .If I could of .

16. oldebob

oldebob
    from Spokane WA

Heres what it would look like w old style louvers. The die came up from LA in the late 40's. I havn't noticed any problem with rain or dirt getting in.

Attached Files:

17. ...doc...

...doc...
    from Houston

No louvers,....ever.

18. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

I say yes , but either way you hit a home run on that lid great work !!!

19. mj40's

mj40's

A friend of mine just punched these for another friend. 166 of them. I have been thinking of punching a few in my 40 pickup hood.

Attached Files:

20. DrJ

DrJ

The one we used to get in trouble for as kids was boogers.
    As you probably know, it's American slang for what kids picks out of their nose, but Mom thought we were saying Buggers.. :eek:

21. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Im getting depressed ,The louvers look awesome.and there is no fannies to look at .

22. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Huh? You on the wrong message board??? Louver the shit out of it! :cool:

23. claymore

claymore
    BANNED

Nope on the "holes" in your trunk lid.

24. zzford

zzford

Yes, I'd louver (louvre) the deck lid. Louver (louvre) the boot and your foot will get wet.

25. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

On a model-T if you have the stock panel across the back of the interior/behind the seat. Along with a floor in the trunk. then there is no need to louver the deck lid. On a 28 and up roadster, the body is open behind the seat allowing air into the trunk and the louvers let it escape so it is a benefit on them.

Of course cosmetically, if you like them, go for it....

Zach

26. Moonglow2

Moonglow2

I am a pragmatist and got interested in hot rods in the 50s. Louvers were started because the flathead Ford was notorious for overheating. Then someone discovered that their rod ran faster if they louvered the decklid to relieve pressure buildup when at the dry lakes and Bonneville.

If you have neither of these problems it is silly in my mind to add them just for appearance. Don't forget you can't wash the thing without water going in places you don't want it to. My 2 cents.

27. onedge

onedge

28. pincher

pincher
    from Saginaw

What ever way you go with it , you have done excellent work on this piece. PINCHER

29. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Make 2 skins, and do one louvered and one not and see which looks better

BTW for louvers you can talk to old beet or K-member they have a louver punch in marysville

30. ...doc...

...doc...
    from Houston

HA!!! I know, I had to be different,..personally I am not a fan of louvers, but will most likely NEED to louver the trunk deck of my 29 Dodge.