Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods To lace, or not to lace?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JimSibley, May 19, 2018.

1. maplefrm

maplefrm
    from Central IL

Adding a lace paint job to a car built in 2018 is like putting a "fake patina" paint job on a new fiberglass '32. It's a real Willys built in 2018. Keep it real, don't try to make it look like it was painted in 1970. Think the dreaded street rod look.
    It's already a winner! JMO

Hnstray and Deuces like this.
  2. catdad49

catdad49

When I built "Ohio George" Montgomery's '33Willys coupe I exchanged the blue for Candy Apple Red with red detailing. I didn't think it needed anything else. Your car, Your choice! The end result should be Great!

3. Panel lace job!

4. ... just step thru your favorite lace panties. Drive the Willys with a smile. Your secret is safe with me. That car looks f#kn' great.

loudbang, rjones35 and ME.GASSER like this.
  5. F&J

F&J

...and half cup, pushup bras... :oops::cool:... maybe adding lace is a "subconscious thing" goin' on?:rolleyes:

and BamaMav, like your own signature line also alludes to women? below:

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money!"

6. High5

High5

It depends on the theme of the car. If you're building it to represent early 60's, then the red you have will do the job. If the theme represents late 60's to early 70's then lace. But if you do decide on lace, I would make it subtle. Use a contrasting color close to the red that's on there now. That stuff can get busy very quickly.

Beautiful car by the way.

kiwijeff and Just Gary like this.
  7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I remember wanting to have lace painted on the raised hood panels of my 69 Cutlass in 69 when it was the hot lick thing to do. Best to leave that stuff in the memories of 1969. Lace was late 60's early 70's and to me not drag car paint.
    The car sure doesn't look plastic/fiberglass to me with the nose high attitude. Shiny paint meaning fiberglass car is just plain silly. Back in the gasser hayday real race cars had nice shiny paint.

Deuces and slowmotion like this.
  8. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Can't believe the number of "lace haters" here!

I think it would look great with a black lace panel job. Go for it!

SPark

9. Quain Stott's Willys looks good in lace. HRP

Southeast Gassers at Greer Dragway 2015-44-XL.jpg

loudbang, Kiwi 4d, dwollam and 6 others like this.
  10. JimSibley

JimSibley

My other thought is red and metallic black panel paint without lace, with some lettering . I’m thinking of swapping the wheels out for slot mags, at least in the front . I might need to sell it when it’s done, so I want something that everyone will like.

caseyajones and loudbang like this.
  11. JimSibley

JimSibley

The I love the illusion car. That is why I thought of lace in the first place.

loudbang likes this.
  12. If you are planning on selling leave it straight red but I think it would look great laced but many will not as seen by this thread.

13. 327Eric

327Eric

Lace and Cragars.

Just Gary likes this.
  14. pitman

pitman

Tryin' to come up w/a name...in gold leaf!
    All I got was "Quick Willys",
    (recalling yr typ. build time frame!)

Last edited: May 20, 2018
  15. JimSibley

JimSibley

I have thought of a few names, slick willy, midnight oil, hellenbach racing.i called it unfinished business when it wasn’t painted, easy money, any thoughts?ideas?

16. Gman0046

Gman0046

Lace looked shitty back in the day. Looks even worse now.

Gary

nunattax likes this.
  17. oldolds

oldolds

If your going to sell it, you need to balance the money and effort against the return. Just like a house flipper. Leave it red, it looks fine. If you do much more it becomes to personalized. A buyer might not like what you do. Tell the buyer to imagine how it would look with lace on it or panel painted, They can make it their car that way. At this point in time you will get $xxxxxx for it. I think you will only get $xxxxxx for it after you add more paint to it. I would guess you will only get a 70% return on the extra effort the lace will cost you.

pitman and kiwijeff like this.
  18. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like your Willys and the color a lot. You might consider a panel like this, maybe a little more subtle, on the sides of the car behind your gold leaf lettering.
    (This one was originally built in Mpls-St. Paul MN, late 60's I think...)

DSC_0881_1000.jpg

19. I like that shade of red. I have nothing against lace but it can look overdone if you chose the wrong pattern or color. You might tire of it quickly.
    Maybe leave it red with lots of pinstripes to set off the panels. I agree that a gold name or some other wording would look appropriate.

20. Jim, I'll gently place these pictures here then quickly sneak away....:rolleyes:;)

The_Hard_Guys_nostalgia_nitro_funny_car36-456x685.jpg The_Hard_Guys_nostalgia_nitro_funny_car35-685x456.jpg The_Hard_Guys_nostalgia_nitro_funny_car19-685x456.jpg

21. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

good job Gary !!!!!!!

Just Gary likes this.
  22. Deuces

Deuces

Sure would like to see the rest of that pony flopper.... :D;)

Just Gary likes this.
  23. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Lace. Dare to be different.
    I would do it if it was my car but it’s yours so do what you want. Your the one who has to look at it every day

24. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lace, yes.

Solid color paint is for is for the masses. If you want a car that looks like everyone else's build, keep it a solid color.

After all, building clones is traditional.

Just Gary likes this.
  25. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

The solid red { though very nice} looks to contemporary to me, even in the early 60's it would have looked plain. Straight axle Willys will always be associated with the mid 60's and the flashier the better. I think black will leave it looking to dark and on the muddy side, and lace is a love/hate sorta thing. If I was doing it , I would have first sprayed a lighter shade of the red . Layed out a panel job out line in of what areas you might have laced in 1/8, 1/4 or 3/8 ? fine line tape and then sprayed the red, pulled the tape and cleared. the effect would resemble the contrast on just Gary's example between his body color and the striping seperateing it from the lace. Suttel but still with a 60's vibe. Just my two cents . Good luck and have fun. Larry

Last edited: May 20, 2018
    kiwijeff likes this.
  26. JimSibley

JimSibley

So,as it stands we have roughly 13 for lace, 19 against with half of the lace haters stating that it needs gold leaf. Interesting!....

Just Gary likes this.
  27. hotrodtodd1960

hotrodtodd1960

Lace and gold leaf !

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  28. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Gave it some more thought and maybe we need a few comparison pictures.
    We know what it looks like with just the red paint so if you could find a model in lace we could get the effect.
    Lace by the front door.
    Lace by the front fender or hood.
    Knowing the paint is fresh we couldn’t expect to see the lace spread out over the body panels.
    The right amount of lace displayed in the right places may sway the lace haters. ;)

29. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY