Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects To help curb street racing..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 69fury, Jul 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 69fury

69fury

Kansas City has quite a bit of street racing going on. 90% of it is the worst kind- kids in imports, with lights, wings, and stereos (You know of the movies) The problem is that horsepower has gotten insanely cheap these days. The stakes are higher and kids this young aren't ready for these cars. Not just 500hp nitroused Hondas and 1000 hp Turbo Supras. I know a 19 year old with a 2003 Mustang making 845hp to the tires. That'll kill someone on the street.

We need ways to make it easier for kids to get into the hobby the right way. The safe way.

The problem is that KCIR (somewhat local to the Missouri side of KC) has an uncertain future, now that the rich people built houses next to it, and THEN decided they didn't like the noise. It's a small time track of and the new owners are cagey about having to fund more legal defense against these people.

Heartland Park in Topeka, is a good track that has the pits behind the grandstands in another county, is completely inconvenient, and (lets face it) in TOPEKA.

There is a petition to add a 1/4 mile track to the Kansas Speedway, which is an awesome facility. Centralized location between KCIR and Heartland Park and would be even more important if the new owners of KCIR decide that keeping an old track open for little profit isn't as much fun as selling the land for millions.

We dont know if this will get us anywhere but it damned sure couldn't hurt our chances for a new track.

with regards. rick.

http://www.petitiononline.com/KCKSdrag/petition.html

2. red baron

red baron
    from o'side

i love racing! lets make sure it stays safe!

and yes i have done all kinds of racing...... even street

3. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

I thought the drama was over from the golf playing pricks
    kcir.net

The city has only to remind itself of the alternatives

Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
  4. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a Roth T shirt that says, 'Thou shalt street race'.
    I feel like a sell out, I agree with you!

5. chevyrod47

chevyrod47
    from chicago

a little stoplight action isn't so bad in the right setting . as my good friend surf says, drive fast take chances!

6. jangleguy

jangleguy

Good luck there, 69Fury. I signed the link. For what it's worth, I lived back there at the height of my reign as the town squirrel. I laid rubber all over Lawrence, Topeka and Kansas City before I ever saw a real drag strip. I'm lucky to be alive and so are the people that shared the road with me.
    Keep up the good fight - you might be saving someone's life.
    Scotty

7. Signed...wonder how many times the HAMB will be filled in as the 'where did you hear about this' section...

Come on folks...click n sign....

8. 69fury

69fury

i've not heard of any new shenanigans, but it's constantly looming over the track like a stormcloud. Personally, I dont know how much fight the new owners have left in them, but it's just an opinion.

I'd be for it, just cuz i'm in Lawrence, and KCIR is out there abit (not attrocious, but i have to admit, that deserted industrial areas within 20 minutes, are much more appealing than an hour plus drive to an unpaved, unprepped facility.)

9. Same problem worldwide it seems.
    The ("boyracers" here in NZ) are killing themselves and others in their Jap machines.
    3 more dead over the weekend here. Car confiscating and crushing is now the Govt answer. Problem with setting up tracks etc for them is that MOST are only wanting to street race and annoy neighbors etc. They don't want anything that looks remotely legal and inoffensive like a racetrack.

10. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

kid gets to the track , needs thousands in safety equipment , license , faa physical . new belts , helmet , sfi cert check , 12 point cage , fire system
    heck , on the street , easier to evade the cops than the nhra at the track
    not saying it's right ..........

11. LaidoutRivi63

LaidoutRivi63

I agree with you on a level, but some people dont think when they street race. hell, 4 years ago, a kid tore his crx in half on a concrete filled steel pole in front of an elementary school about 3 miles from my house...only 15 min before school was out for the day. His car's parts as well as his body parts were everywhere. His buddy and himself died in the crash, all over a street race. At least at night chances are slim that someone will be innocently killed. People do some dumb stuff.

12. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

You'd have to be going pretty fast to need all that.

13. "there will be more racers that make take it to the track"

You might want to edit that page.

Good luck with this.

14. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

Best of luck. I hope it works out. We need a stip in CT, too. They've been talking about a new law here in CT where if they catch you "street racing" the state can take your car from you... Now, nobody made a point of defining "street racing" in the news segment...the state cops here don't enforce the laws we already have so it's a free for all. Tailgating, passing on the right...the state police are some of the biggest offenders. The local parkway has a speed limit of 55, traffic moves at 70-75, and there are still people tailgating or whizzing by like you aren't even moving...and there are no consequences. I had a guy traveling behind me in the travel lane in heavy traffic whip into an on ramp to try to pass me on the right two weeks ago!

When/if they pass this "street racing" bill it will be such big news that it probably WILL be enforced...for awhile anyway. The closest drag strips are in New York and New Hampshire, 2+ hours away. We need one here, too...if only for something to do on a Friday night!

15. super plus

super plus
    BANNED

The only way to curb or stop street racing is to stop making cars , period

16. "all life has been declared a crime since only the living commit crimes"- Judge Death
    The most extreme lawman.

17. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Huh??? it's more expencive than ever! I used to be you could get a chevelle or camaro and build real HP cheap, now prices on all the good muscle and hot rods have gone way up

18. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

a race track does not remove street racing. I grew up in Fremont, you know the place ... home of Fremont Drag Strip.

got my license in 1976 and street racing was hot and heavy til the early 80's. there was wednesday night racing at the track for like 10 bucks... and a marked quarter mile on the street about 200 yards away from the actual race track.

lots of 11 and 12 second cars out there. one night a guy even brought out a SBC powered rail. people also raced by the "safeway plant" right next to the freeway. people raced out in Castro Valley, that quarter mile went uphill which I always thought was funny

19. RAY With

RAY With

As long as there are builders buying property by or close to race tracks, drag strips and building subdivisions there are those assholes that will buy them then complain about the noise. Most cases it closes the tracks down after hundreds of thousands of dollars are spent in the courts. We have lost hundreds of drag strips all over the USA and will continue to do so until zoning laws are incorporated to protect businesses like race tracks and drag strips. With the noise laws passes in most towns its close to a losing proposition. The drag strips are the best place for our kids to race in a safe enviorement but getting harder by the year to keep a lot of them in operation.

20. guiseart

guiseart

I'm no expert here, but if these are "kids" that implies they have "parents"... I would be yanking the cars keys away from any child of mine caught endangering lives with his vehicle. Fun is fun but stupid is stupid. There might be a "rush" and a "high" involved in street racing, but your tune would change if you ran over and killed somebody.

21. resinjeff

resinjeff
    from detroit

where detroit dragway once was now is a parking lot, and theres a shiny new sub across the street. sadly, nobodys buyin those houses now....

22. Big Nick

Big Nick

They did the same thing here on Long Island and also tried the hardest to hit Englishtown in NJ as well. But I also agree with Guiseart, some of these parents need to take responsibility for the children. These kids have no respect for their car's power. I see some dumb shit go down with kids on my block and I live in a residential area, there are stop signs every 30 yards, kids playing in the street all day and there are guys 17, 18 years old with twin turbo 350Zs, 200SX with japanese race motors, coming around the corner like its an open track. And this is no bullshit, here is my yard 6 weeks ago! My girl just came in the house seconds before this went down, she was just playing with one of my dogs right there in my yard, I was also debating mowing my lawn right before this happened. This is a 17 yearold kid from across town who was trying to "drift" around corners! There is a "children at play" sign 10 feet from where he went through my shed! He told the cop he was doing 70mph when he attempted to take the turn. about 35 yards from the corner was a street basketball game going on and 3 kids right across the street walking back from getting drinks from the store. I am still waiting on the insurance check, there was over $7000.00 in damage. I am out of pocket over $1000.00 since certain things needed to be repaired and replaced right away and the parents of the kid told me "thats what insurance is for, be grateful nobody was hurt"! I should be grateful? Not their son. Its frustrating that these parents cant take repsonsibilty, I asked the kids father if he was going to make up the difference to cover my property loss and he said that he feels funny asking his son to come up with $3000.00, and went on to tell me he learned a lesson. What lesson is that? You can do what ever you want and insurance will cover it? Its bullshit, they never even offered to have the kid come by to help clean up the mess or mow my lawn. I had to use my neighbor's mower for 2 weeks until I could get a new one. Well there is my rant, enjoy the photos.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Unfortunatley the parents are too busy making a living so jr. can have the "tuner".
    I did my share and paid long one evening. 65 f-85 cutlass convertable wrapped tightly around a tree. Got a ticket, no mercy, no help, no call for a tow truck. The cops left me there with a steeringwheel imprint on my forehead complete with bleeding gash. no damage other than that till I called Dad.
    But thats another story for the " What got your ass kicked bigtime when you were stupid" thread.

24. plan9

plan9

we use to race at Hunters Point (3rd/Cargo), "Canada" down in San Mateo and Brotherhood Way near 19th.... lots of 12-11 sec cars... cops would sit and watch, whip some donuts or race one once in a great while... but never harassed any of us..... we never had an accident or problems with traffic until one Saturday night while in HP two car loads of gang bangers from Filmore St. started shooting at us and the hood rats from the projects up the hill... just hand guns... never knew what bullets whizzing overhead sounded like until that night.

that was about 1994/95, before imports.... muscle cars out numbered the 5.0's..... it was never the same after. we (norcal and socal) definitely need a few more tracks. i guess side shows are the new street racing..

big nick - thats fucked up.. in a situation like that, even a race track wouldnt correct that kids stupidity.... only an ass kicking from his dad would teach a proper lesson.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2009
  25. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Nick, Ya shoulda told em ta get an ambulance too cause jr got hurt after the accident. I'm glad he learned a lesson. Dad should have the need of a lawyer.
    70 in a residential??????
    I'd STILL be gettin whipped.

26. 36couper

36couper
    from ontario

27. Big Nick

Big Nick

The cop let the passenger walk home and didnt even write the drive up for anything! The father is smart ass who thought he was going to get on my good side when he saw my panhead and told me he rides a BMW, like I could give a shit at that point. Now dont get me wrong, I am not saying I never speed or have some fun on the street but I know the consequences of my actions. Believe me, if I ran through their fence, I am sure they would have run me through every test to try to prove I was drunk or stoned.
    And yes, 70 and trying to drift, there are cars parked everywhere! What are you doing trying to drift in a neighborhood?

When the parents came by later that night I told the kid in front of them, you wanna race, go to NJ and hit up Englishtown, and his mother had the balls to say she doesnt want him driving out of state at 17. But doing 70 down a side street is just fine.

28. 21tat

21tat

Michael Jackson died for pete's sake. There are just so many more important things going on in this world to worry about. Jeeeeez.

29. Hotrod95

Hotrod95

Hey, I agree about the street racing, and kids having to much hourse power,... ya I may only be 13 but, about a year ago a kids parents bought him an older mustng with nitro and engian kit and all..... a few days/ weeks after he got it he was doing donuts in a parking lot and a cop saw him... the cop turned on his sirens and the kid burned out took off down the road (I guess he thought he was better then our cops??) then he hit the nitrous and he hit a wall going 120, he hit the wall with so much impact that it threw the motor out of the car, the kid went through the winshield right into the wall... not that it needs to be said but he died right there..... so now I wounder what I miss more the idiot who was racing or that poor mustang??

30. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

There is street racing and there is street racing, idiots like you guys mention, piss me off, because the law lumps all racing into one catagory so organized street racing in untrafficed areas like backroads and empty industrial parks gets a bad rap too.

Part of the problem lies in some people have no respect for their cars, the majority of problem street racers lies in punk rich kids with some car daddy bough for them, most of the kids who are serious car guys may street race but not like these dumbasses

Part of the problem you get in just as much shit if you get caught on main st at noon or with a dozen other people at 10:30 at night in the middle of nowhere so it's a deal where people think might as well just do it anywhere.

Now i belive there really is no full stop to street racing, but when it is kept in check and mabey even semi-organized it is much safer, tracks help a lot but they arent the only answer

Last edited: Jul 7, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.