Register now to get rid of these ads!

To each his own...

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by 46highboypu, Jan 6, 2008.

1. 46highboypu

46highboypu

I was writing to antihuman81 about his project, a "bobber" '40s pickup, and telling him about my own project. He suggested that I post it here. First let me say that I am not a "traditionalist". I like all kinds of cars. My philosophy is build what you like/want and drive it, no "skool" no rules.
    So here goes. I live in east central Illinois by the way. My truck is a '46 Chevy that I bought as just a cab with extra doors, hoods, and some interior panels. It is now chopped 4" with the posts layed back and is channeled over the 2x4 tube frame. The wheel base has been moved forward and shortened to 105". The hood is louvered and I am planning to build hood sides that will allow lakes style headers and will also mount the turn signals which are adapted from the original lights on top of the headlights. It has a custom tube grill. The bed is from '50 3/4 ton Chevy truck shortened at the stake pockets and narrowed. It holds the poly fuel tank and has a "wood floor" type cover and original style lights.
    I am running a small block Chevy with TH350 and 9" rear end. The front suspension is TCI dropped axle kit, hairpins and disc brakes. The rear runs on four bars and coil overs with disc brakes. Other than the actual cutting and tacking of the chop, I have done all of the work myself. This is why it has taken me years to get this for as I had/have ALOT to learn, and why I used as many new parts as I could. I will try to attach pictures of what I started with and where I am now. The chasis is all but done and I am waiting time with a guy who will I hope do the final body prep and primer. Yes it gets painted.
    Thanks for your time.

Attached Files:

2. stillkruzn

stillkruzn
    from Conway, AR

Welcome... and you hit the nail on the head... build what you like...

3. LOOKEN GOOD from the west side of IL

johnny

4. its different! i like ..welcome dude ,, what color you thinkin about??

5. 46highboypu

46highboypu

The color will be a Ford color...Screaming Yellow, Chevy has one just like it but without the name (remember Jake's screaming yellow zonker?). The interior I've done in rattle can flat brown and a "hammer" finish rustoleum for the trim. The S10 seat will get covered by JC Whitney in brown. Thanks for the welcome.

6. Motorbreath

Motorbreath

Welcome to the HAMB :D. I like it, puts mine to shame but i like it. I've been debating on my chop whether or not to lean the post back to do it and I think your pics are really telling me to lean that way, pun intended.

7. 46highboypu

46highboypu

I keep trying to add an attachment to PM's and it still doesn't work so I will post this for antihuman. This is part of a page about VIN tag info (had to reduce the size), I've lost where I found it. Hope this helps.

Attached Files:

8. Motorbreath

Motorbreath

Thanks for the info. Still trying to find something on the layout of the tag. I'm pretty sure they are 4" tall x 3" wide, still trying to figure out where on that 4x3 slab to put which #'s.

9. 46highboypu

46highboypu

anithuman, here is your tag. I typed this up and sized it and marked the holes. Some of the words were about gone but I think I got the idea. Everything is printed, only the VIN numbers are dye stamped. The line is .125 in from the edge and is not the outline of the tag.
    Hope this helps.

Attached Files:

• TAG.jpg
      TAG.jpg
      File size:
      59.6 KB
      Views:
  10. Fiorano

Fiorano

11. Motorbreath

Motorbreath

46highboypu Thats great, makes it alot easier knowing that only the vin is stamped in, I'll just stamp that in and paint it body color. Hope to see some progress on your truck soon.