Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical To drill or not to drill.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by reekie6, Oct 17, 2019.

1. pecker head

pecker head

Lots of hole threads on here. Search function.

2. porknbeaner

porknbeaner

It was a way to cool brakes. It would actually tend to let water out.
    There were or are lots of tricks to cool drum brakes, drilled and scooped works well. You drill the extra holes away from the scoop to keep air flowing.
    You can also score the shoes. A common scoring pattern is diamonds, there was actually a time that you could buy them pre-scored. Red Devils came scored for example. The scoring gave the gasses a path to escape.

On a side note and not to slight anyone but running split bones or hairpins does not actually turn the axle into a torsion bar. A torsion bar is a torsional spring used to support weight. It does move the torsional load farther out adding torsional load to the axle that it does not have when it has with a pivoting triangle. So yes it will cause the axle to twist more than in its original geometry a lot like a torsion bar.

Actually using applied physics in place of theoretical physics IE real world testing as opposed to equations on a board, the parts in question have proven to be up to the task for way longer than most of us have been alive. This is just a side note and probably not the accepted reality in our internet driven world.

kadillackid and pecker head like this.
  3. solidaxle

solidaxle
    from Upstate,NY

Somebody must have known the dead guy then.
    Nobody has piped in yet saying, I knew a guy or I heard of a wreak or it happened to me. Just saying!
    Hot Rodders have been doing it for years, you would think there would be a magazine article or internet form like this stating of the dangers backed up with actual failures.