Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical To drill or not to drill.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by reekie6, Oct 17, 2019.

1. ... sure they did. Old school JD engine rods, with pistons, nearly 100 years old. Screenshot_20191019-042802_Google.jpg

... and still do.

Screenshot_20191019-043354_Google.jpg

adam401, Blues4U, Jet96 and 6 others like this.
  2. Interesting! I stand corrected... What are the newer rods for?

3. Torsion (twisting) forces on an I-beam axle are not as severe as you might think. The majority of the torsion caused by braking is taken up in the leaf springs or wishbones/parallels. Even axles with drilled axle ends like kidcampbell71's are not in any trouble. The calcs show that the web does as little in the torsion stress arena as it does in the bending arena. Again the deformation is a function of the moment of inertia to which the web contributes precious little. Just has to be enuf web left to keep those flanges where they need to be. They do all the heavy lifting (pun intended)..

Vic Walter, Cosmo49, Blues4U and 2 others like this.
  4. I can tell you one thing for absolute certain; they are for $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!!

Speed costs. How fast do you want to spend?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
  5. v8flat44

v8flat44

Hole-ee Hotrods Batman ! Know that we know the hole story, maybe the Batmobile should.....nah, better not......

6. Unless your life in lived in .001 second and you are lightening everything else drilling your axle is for looks. If you like the look drill it. its not a 10 minute job but if it floats your boat its worth the labor.

Here is the thought, my current project was first a land speed car then lived the rest if its life as a dragster. It does not have a drilled axle.

nunattax and Montana1 like this.
  7. paintman27

paintman27
    from new jersey

I remember going to World of Outlaw sprint races years ago and seeing steering wheels with holes drilled in them to lighten them up. So I guess if your as crazy as Steve Kinser, Doug Wolfgang, and Sammy Swindell I say go for.

thintin likes this.
  8. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

Jet96 likes this.
  9. It would be Whislin' Dixie! :D

jimgoetz and jaw22w like this.
  10. solidaxle

solidaxle
    from Upstate,NY

Interesting, nobody has claimed they have had one fail that was drilled.

11. They shouldn't!

pecker head likes this.
  12. akoutlaw

akoutlaw

Drill:)

Attached Files:

Jet96 and willys36 like this.
  13. bigdog

bigdog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

But the twisting force caused by the brakes is transferred to the hairpins, shouldn't apply any force to the center part of the axle.

14. That's cause those people are no longer with us. LOL

nunattax and Jet96 like this.
  15. In the '70s and '80s we used to drill the con-rods and the flywheels both. Light bike light lower end.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  16. solidaxle

solidaxle
    from Upstate,NY

So, to stir the pot again. No reported failures.

17. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I'll agree that the main purpose of drilling an axle on a street driven car is for looks, and it's a look that I like and have on my '31 "A" Hiboy.
    I'm guessing, but I suspect the first drilled I beam was on a car used in competition, and that it was just one of many things done to that car to lighten it up to the max. You do reach the point in lightening the car that every little bit added to other little bits adds up to lots of pounds.
    Then somebody saw this on the race car, liked the looks of it, and decided to copy it on their street driven car.
    There's another factor in this weight reduction no one has mentioned, and that's unsprung weight, which can be a major factor in tire adhesion on uneven surfaces. IMO. the biggest shortcoming of I beam front suspension is unsprung weight, and this drilling des, percentage wise, make a difference in unsprung weight.

KJSR, kidcampbell71 and jimgoetz like this.
  18. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The engineers say not worry about it.

Armchair quarterbacks say to not do it.

Enough said.

-Brent-, Cosmo49, Tim and 3 others like this.
  19. I've drilled every axle on every car I've built. Its a personal preference, I like the way it looks. I have a Superbell cast axle on my '32 and Posies called Superbell and asked if it could be drilled. Their answer was 3/4" holes 1 1/2" on center is the correct pattern with no reduction in strength of the axle. That is good enough for me. I don't paint my wheels red either, anything but.

nunattax and Jet96 like this.
  20. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

I hand drilled a 47-54 Chevy 1/2 ton truck axle for my ‘56 Chevy when contemplating a Gasser. Used a 1/2” drill with various size drill bits and step drill bits as well. Went to 3/4” diameter from center of web with 3/4” side to side width. I used a 4x4 post strapped to tailgate of my Chevy pickup, strapped the axle down on the 4x4. Started from center of web outward to the ends. Best I remember, (2016) it took 6-8 hrs, Looked great when finished, I was completely tired and sore. Did not build Gasser and if there is a next time I will have a heavy duty drill press.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
    dirty old man and Cosmo49 like this.
  21. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The trick tool is a vertical mill, with a nice end mill.

You can do an axle in about an hour.

nunattax and dirty old man like this.
  22. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

23. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And I am sure you are correct, that being said, I shot the photographs, only to show what the car owner had done, the car isn't mine.

neverdun likes this.
  24. pecker head

pecker head

25. solidaxle

solidaxle
    from Upstate,NY

He didn't say why he did it. It's more of a look then a function. Personally I like it.

neverdun likes this.
  26. Ralph Moore

Ralph Moore

Drilled by a friend of mine. I like the extra holes, less wind resistance![​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

nunattax and neverdun like this.
  27. goldmountain

goldmountain

While I'm in favor of holes, I Don't understand why you would drill holes in brake backing plates. Seems that would be detrimental for stopping when it rains.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. 41woodie

41woodie

My first thought...dead men tell no tales

neverdun and porknbeaner like this.
  29. I'm an engineer and I agree. We tend to be very careful about what we put holes in and things like edge-distance comes up, read up on it.

BJR and pecker head like this.
  30. pecker head

pecker head

Lots of hole threads on here. Search function.