Register now to get rid of these ads!

To Dad

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Doright, Jul 3, 2011.

1. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Awsome tribute and it touches every Dad and I hope every son on here. Sounds like your dad did a good job passing along his skills to you. As a father myself I am a proud of my son when I see him working on his own stuff welding, building , heck! just adjusting the valves by himself. Comes a time when we have to stand back and let em' do their own work because we aren't gonna be around forever. I bet your pops was proud of you WAY more than you will ever know. Heck I'm proud of you and I don't really know you! Hope my son values something we worked on together as much as you do.God bless. Tom.

2. I hope that in building the car it helps you gain some closure with your dad.

I still got my dad but what you wrote kinda hits home because I know that our days are limited. Nobody could possibly understand the connection we had through working on cars and stuff together.

Take it easy man.
    ASNF (A Son Never Forgets)

3. Doright

Doright

Thanks guys it means a lot
    I finished up this car a few days too short of going to the big local car show last year.
    That sucked but Its ready for this year its on the 21st I will let you all know how it does in competition.

4. Doright

Doright

Long story short I took car too local Car show Sat and couldnt get the hood open I left the car as was for them to judge.

Sorry I forgot my camera

[​IMG]

5. grf-x

grf-x

you got second place on such a touching build. That is awesome. I have been reading a lot of post where a car or metal fab became a touching post. I hope you find closure some how. I can't imaging my life without my little wheel, tire and interior guy. Best of luck to you Doright. Maybe the placing is a sign to keep the car (the car being some kind of closure).

6. fatman1

fatman1
    from hiram ohio

Just seen this thread, have to say you did a great job on your fathers car. I also lost my father its been twenty years and not a day goes past that I dont think of him.

My Father was also rebuilding a 41 ford but a business man coupe, he was diagnosed with cancer during the build, after awhile he could no longer work on it.

Before he passed, I painted it the color he wanted. Shortly after he passed my mother was diagnosed with cancer, she lasted 4 months during all this I was trying to finish the car.

I lost all intrest in working on the car, after reading your story you gave me the motivation to start again, after twenty years in my garage it is going to need repainted, and maybe take off the Boyd wheels and make it a little more HAMB friendly.

I hope my dad will be in there with me, like yours was

7. Doright

Doright

I hope you find your closure Fatman1

8. Doright

Doright

9. Doright

Doright

Thinking about you Dad

10. Gman0046

Gman0046

I sure do miss my Dad. Unfortunately when he was alive, I took him for granted as he worked several jobs to provide for our family. After he passed, I found out things about him that I never knew before such as helping others who were less fortunate then us.

Wish I could be half the man he was.

Gary

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
  11. JimSibley

JimSibley

Cried just a little.

12. Doright

Doright

Me too I miss him terribly my father was a great man in his own right.
    He taught me almost every thing I know about cars and almost every thing I know about the family business & Tradition of 500+ mph Aircraft & aeronautical engineering.

Long live the Kings of SPEED and Stealth

tractorguy and rod1 like this.
  13. JimSibley

JimSibley

Wow, my old
    Man was a flight jockey as well. He designed and built specialty bush planes.

rod1 likes this.
  14. Been there... Getting better with time.

Not a day goes by that I don't think about him!

Cheers Dad

15. j3harleys

j3harleys

Missing my DAD alot this morning. There were so many more things I wanted to talk to him about.

16. Doright

Doright

I Miss My old man more than any one knows! To only to once again be able to work side by side again and have another fight over whos tools are whos or just shooting the shit or some more listening to his old story's ... They never got old! My old man was the best! He will live forever in my heart and work.

Only thing that makes it easier for me is doing the same for my boys 23 and 14
    My oldest is Just like my Old man in a lot of ways and my youngest is just like me in a lot ways.
    How do you thank your maker for a Blessing like that?

17. Doright

Doright

Thinking of you today Dad

rod1 likes this.
  18. Doright

Doright

Happy Fathers day Dad

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  19. Doright

Doright

Thinking of Dad

VANDENPLAS, rod1 and wandi harry like this.
  20. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

I lost my dad in 1991. I still think of him and the lessons he taught to me. Took years to get some of them.

“My father was an amazing man. The older I got, the smarter he got.”
    Mark Twain

21. Doright

Doright

Happy fathers day

rod1 likes this.
  22. 1952henry

1952henry

Sorry for your loss. My dear old dad has only been gone since September of 2021, but miss him daily and I guess I always will.

23. HAPPY FATHERS DAY TO ALL THE DADS OUT THERE .

This is my first one with out my old man , ( he hated that saying , lol ) IM NOT OLD !!!!! Yeah , yeah you are dad . Hahaha.

learned everything I know from my old man .

would not say he was a “ car guy “ but loved old 50’s and 60’s land yachts . Probably where I got my passion for them from . He could fix anything .

always time for a story , a lesson or a beer !
    IMG_6533.jpeg

24. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2023-6-18_5-37-3.png He was the youngest of two brothers and was always the quiet one. Hmmm, similar to his 2nd son... quiet and introspective... Ha!

My father didn’t do anything unusual. He only did what dads are supposed to do—be there.

Hello,

My dad was a very quiet person. But, when the two scrappy brothers were going at each other and it disturbed his “peace.” He let us and the whole world know what to do… a few choice words only we could understand was broadcast across the room and all was suddenly silent. Then , our mom came rushing out to see the damage and try to calm the situation down a bit. But, two frozen boys were already silent and sulking off to their room without being told.

Sometimes, if we were near the back door to the yard, we went outside to be away from the glaring stare. He was quiet, said a few words and both my brother +/- me knew when to stop. We instantly went to another place in the house or yard.

But, over time, those moments were becoming less as we knew when to stop the arguments. As I grew taller and larger, my brother knew his time was gone and he was trying to outsmart me, not physically, but mentally. Physically and athletically, I was superior. But he was older and used his smarts on me a lot. I learned quickly. Our dad saw what was happening with us and the pecking order was reversing itself as I grew up.

No need to fight back, I could win easily and I just let things go without physically beating the crap out of his comments and him. But, we got older, started doing things together and learned to get along.
    upload_2023-6-18_5-40-45.png

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime…”

I still have the custom made fishing pole (far left) sitting in the attic waiting for another round of fishing…

All this time, our dad was supportive of our different tastes and activities. But, he made time to come to various games and events for my brother and to all of my games, basketball, football and especially his favorite, baseball. My brother stopped sports in junior high school and started his hot rod activities.

I continued 3 sports until I was no longer competitive against taller, more agile guys in high school, that could dunk a ball over my outstretched hands and throw a fastball curve that would take a button off of my shirt. But, football was another story and I had fun all throughout high school.

So, who was at every single game in the three years of high school? Yup, my dad and his giant smile as I did something right and powerful on the field. It was difficult not to want to play in college and I had several offers, but the hot rod/drag race/custom cruising scene and surfing worked itself into the picture. They both took over for a life time activity.

Jnaki

Thanks for the support as a very young kid, through out high school and our surf adventures. Without those surfing films and comments we still can’t get out of our heads. We are the ones to capitalize on our memories of waves, surf spots and movie film supporting aspects while growing up. His films hold a strong part in our memories and his support was never wavering.

As young as we were to get married, my wife and I have always been supported in all of our activities from our parents. My dad was happy to be with us and when our family started to grow, he instantly was the happiest to be a granddad. Ha! Thank you for all of the support and love of watching us grow up safely into the future.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2023