Register now to get rid of these ads!

To buy or not?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by zippeay, Oct 22, 2006.

1. zippeay

zippeay
    from Hooper, Ut

Well I found a 52 chevy styleline this weekend for 1200 bucks. The body is very straight and there is hardly any rust. Everything is there, all the chrome it even has the original fender skirts and they look like they've never been used. Hell it even has the original radio. But I'm kinda low on cash, I mean I have the money and the wife said "fine" but we all know what that means :eek: . So what do you guys think? Is this such a good deal I shouldn't pass it up or should I just wait until my finances get in better shape? O thanks for the input 51chevysled. Also how expensive is custom glass because if I get this thing I have to chop her.

2. zippeay

zippeay
    from Hooper, Ut

opps forgot to mention it is a 2 door.

3. singledownloop

singledownloop

it's better to ask forgiveness then permission

4. talisman

talisman
    from Texas

If it's there, it's in the condition you can afford and live with, and you've got the money and you want it. Yeah. Buy it. It's not at Country Classic Cars though, is it?

5. zippeay

zippeay
    from Hooper, Ut

No its from a private seller, I know what you mean singledownloop. This car is actually in pretty nice condition. Its no jump in it and run car but its pretty fair.

6. I dunno about "better" - easier, yes; better - maybe.

7. Gigantor

Gigantor

Hell yeah, buy it. It sounds like it's in great shape for the price and a lot of parts are available, although it sounds like you wouldn't nead much. As far as windows go (Aside from the back windshield) you can cut everything existing up. If you were looking to do a moderate chop, I've been told that the convertibles had a 2" shorter windshield. If it were something more drastic, you could do what I want to do and cut your existing windshields down. www.50chevy.com is a great resource too. And your wife said "fine". It may not mean exactly what she thinks you think it means, but you could always say you thought she meant what she said when she said it. Yeah.

8. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is this a car you want? Sounds like a real winner. A good straight one is no easy task. Why get hung up about "fine"? I think all your fellow HAMB bretheren are dying to see your next post entitled, "Look at my new ride". 52 Styleline...fastback? And a 2dr?

Ok good wife advice here...let her pick some things on the car like interior mat'l, color (careful on that one:D), show her some different wheels, etc. Call it "Sweetheart II" and remind her she's "Sweetheart I". You get the idea.

So, when do we see the new post?

9. junkyardkat

junkyardkat

If it's what you like and you can afford it go for it especially if the other half agrees with it. It's nice to have your wife support your hobby.

10. zippeay

zippeay
    from Hooper, Ut

Ahaha you guys make me laugh. Actually I was thinking of the whole "I'm doing this for you" but I'll be damned if its pink! I think I'm going to buy it, yeah actually yes I am. I'm currently in San Antonio for the next 1-2 months so my Dad's going to have to pick it up for me, I wish I could see it :(. Thanks guys

11. fiftyfiveford

fiftyfiveford

Sounds like a great deal to me. If your wife says yes then go for it, (whether it was a genuine yes or not its still a yes :D). And if its as nice as it sounds you can always flip it for what you paid

12. No problem Zipp...I forgot to tell ya, on the higher end of the scale, I had a friend who paid $1000 for the front glass in his '52. IIRC, there was 5" out of the top and he kept the split windshield, so the price was for two custom cuts.

With the skirts, the original radio, and what I'd image to be a host of other desireable parts, I think you could also part this car out for at least $1200. If it is in good shape, then it sounds like you're gettin' a good deal on what'll make a nice car for you to borrow from your wife ;):D

Like sgtlethargic asked, do you or your dad know the trouble spots to check on these cars? If not, let us know. The good news is that you can get patch panels for whatever you might need.

Looking forward to the pics.

Bryan

13. zippeay

zippeay
    from Hooper, Ut

Well guys thanks for all the help but I had a hell of a time trying to get money together on a Sunday "Banks are closed :(". So the guy sold it.... O well kinda my fault, but its hard to buy a car that you've never seen. I'm in San Antonio ATM and the car is back in Utah where I live. Well shit... I'm kinda pissed and kinda relieved all at the same time. I really wanted it but its probably best I wait until the wife and I can really afford it anyway. Thanks a lot for the help guys I really appreciate. I'll get one but for now I guess I'll just have to work on my cousins 58 brookwood so he'll get that POS outa my garage and make myself a little extra $$$ also. Thanks again...

14. zippeay

zippeay
    from Hooper, Ut

O 51chevysled forgot about your question. No I don't know the trouble spots on these particular cars. But my Father and I both have a lot of experience rebuilding cars. Any info would be great though, he may have overlooked some of the spots you have in mind. I'd also like to know because I'll probably be in the market to buy one for sure come this Jan and it would be helpful then.