Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects To buy or not to buy..........that is the question.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by evintho, Aug 23, 2017.

1. evintho

evintho

Buy this '53 for $6K........................

[​IMG]

or take that $6K, put it into this '54 and build it the way I want too......................

[​IMG]

Bought the '54 not long ago for a great price. Complete and solid car but needs a full resto. Plans call for a 302/AOD combo. Just want a good driver.

The '53 already has a 302/4 spd combo. The interior is completely done and looks gorgeous! Bodywork and paint is done and definitely isn't a cheap paint job. A basic 12v conversion is done but just enough to get the motor, headlights and tailights working.......nothing else. I drove it and it runs pretty good. Turning it is like driving a tank. All suspension including steering box will have to be rebuilt along with replacing/fabbing a column. Entire car will have to be rewired and if I do buy it, it's gonna sit in the driveway for at least a year until I get the roadster finished.

Pretty much the all work the '53 needs I'll have to do to the '54 anyway. The '54 will need an interior (I was thinking the Tijuana option). I'll paint the '54 myself. Both cars have clear titles so that's not a problem. I know, it kinda looks like a 'no brainer' but really, it's not. Keep in mind I'm in the expensive SF Bay Area so I'm thinking $6K is as pretty good deal but I think I could build the '54 the way I want for the same $6K. I talked to the guy yesterday. My cap was $5500. He's firm at $6K. Thoughts and opinions, please.
    Here's as couple more pics.................

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

exterminator and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

My vote is to fix up what you have and make just what you want. Why start with what someone else wanted? My 2cts

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

3. metalman

metalman

Hmmm, let's see, you are going to buy and swap a motor/trans, paint the whole thing and upholster the car for 6K? I live in cheapo NM and don't think I could pull that off, even without labor. You said you'll paint it yourself, do you do your own upholstery as well?

4. Is that leather? That interior probably cost close to 6K

brad2v, catdad49 and 6inarow like this.

5. I'd buy that car and sell off the 54, take the money from that and rebuild the steering set up in the 53

raven, brad2v, belair and 7 others like this.
  6. Jibs

Jibs

^^^^^ X2, around here that interior would cost over 6K.

7. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

If that car is really that nice already, you can't find them in the Houston area for that price. I'd jump on that, rewire it, and do the steering like you said. It would be $12k here.

8. Both! Definitely. Make it work.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

9. redo32

redo32

I don't like the color of the '53 and the painted bumpers. The interior is a plus, but I don't think it goes with the car. The '54 has a better trim level that looks classier and I like the stock color. A new motor and upgrade the suspension, add a mexican blanket and the '54 will be in style. Take it from a guy who has too many projects..... let it set and finish the roadster.

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  10. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Boxers or briefs? Your choice and yours alone.

11. rjones35

rjones35

Yeah, I like the buy the 53 and sell the 54 option. Then again, if you don't like the 53, keep what you have and make it your own and not worry about the money part.

12. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

What I question on the 53, looks really nice. Until you open the hood.
    They just went out of sequence, paint and interior last ... how many other steps did they skip thats hiding under the paint and carpet?

13. Xtrom

Xtrom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Forman, ND

I'd buy that car if it were me.

14. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Regimental.

15. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Another option, is to sell the '54, don't buy the '53, and use the cash to buy a car that isn't a stockish appearing 52-54 Ford post car. Not trying to be a hater, but these aren't the most desirable of body styles, and if you're trying to build a custom, the best thing you can do is get yourself into a hardtop. With the ~10K you'd have, you could find yourself a damn nice car in a much nicer model and year.

If everything you mentioned needs to be rebuilt on that 53, then the car is polished turd any way. Who puts all that time into interior, paint and body when all of the infrastructure of the car is crap (besides me when I was younger)? You buy that car for 6K and I'll eat my hat if you're not into it for damn near all of 4K more in parts alone to fix the column, suspension, steering and wiring, not factoring in your time. When you're done, the car will be worth $6500. You don't get shit for 50s cars nowadays for less than 10 Gs, unless you like 4 doors, in which case I'd rather walk. The car is cheap for a reason.

belair likes this.
  16. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. I like the 53 but I am biased as in the past I had 2 of those but with original flatheads. On the steers hard I know my 53's (one a convertible and the other a station wagon) both steered ok back in the day. I cannot get a good look of the tires on it but with those wheels I would bet you have wider tires than what the originals were & that can = hard to steer.
    Jimmie

17. There's a lot of small details in comparison between the two that only being there and seeing them can show. I'm sure you're well aware of all of them. Perhaps you should buy it, bring it home and shuffle the spear, bumpers and other chrome pieces including wheels and tires from A to B to achieve something closer to what you want and then sell the other car.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
    Dino 64 likes this.
  18. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice that the 53 has the swap but why does the engine compartment look like a teenagers bedroom? To me the 53 is not what I would want. I like the 54 trim level and definatly the change in the dash. Your going to put more than they are worth when you get either the way you want it. It's a possibility you can get a complete 80's90's Mustang pretty cheap and use a lot in your build. Have fun.....

19. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I'd keep the 54 and build it the way you want to.. Could be a cool project that you can say, "I did it myself"...

Dino 64 likes this.
  20. If I had the 53, I'd have to paint it.....champagne color makes me ill. SBF motor would have to come out also. 53 needs a re-wire too...
    54 has a modern ball joint suspension while 53 still has kingpins. I'd take my $6000 and put into my 54.

21. Gray Ford

Gray Ford
    from Illinois

^^^^^ X20 on the front end ...Keep the '54 & do it YOUR way ......

22. catdad49

catdad49

Tough choice. Make a list, 53 on one side, 54 on the other. List plusses and minuses for both, include realistic costs and at the bottom, add em up. Worked for me when I had a tough decision to make. Good Luck!

23. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

'54 better looking than '53, and has better suspension that can be upgraded

24. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

What, no commando option?

tfeverfred likes this.
  25. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Keep the 54, put the 6k into it. Build it to your liking and know it's done right.
    Unless you're in love with that tan paint and brief case looking interior (barf on both IMHO).
    My initial thoughts on the 53: That 302 looks well used. Is it just a wrecking yard engine slapped in and quickly wired to get the car started and sold? My worry is chances are that 302 will be getting yanked back out for issues. The Camaro in the garage is for sale too. Why is he selling? Flipper?

26. Squablow

Squablow

The '53 seems like a bargain to me, you can't get a paint job for that money, although as others have said, the upholstery is not to my taste. Exterior color isn't my favorite either but I could live with it. Some skinny bias tires would almost undoubtedly make it easier to steer, those fat radials on mags are going to make it tough in any stock-steering 50's car.

If you seriously like that interior (which I'm sure was very expensive), buy the '53, swap interiors and resell the '53, the value won't decrease much, cheaper than having that upholstery job done.

If it was me though, I'd buy the '53, steal the back bumper and stock wheels off of the '54 (and maybe even the side stainless), then resell the '54. Even if you have to rebuild suspension parts and wiring, you're going to have to do that anyway, and with the '53, you've already got nice paint and bodywork, and upholstery, assuming you like the colors.

27. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

Regardless, send the cull my way.

28. exterminator

exterminator

29. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

If you like the 53, then buy it. Building the 54 might cost you more and take a while to get together. The 53 would be closer to be on the road; which you could sell after you get it done, and then build the 54.

30. evintho

evintho

Thanks for all the replies! All your comments were taken into consideration plus, I ran the #'s, consoled with wifey and gave it some serious thought. I believe I'm gonna pass.
    Nice paint and interior, not the colors I'd choose. I can make six grand go a long way on the '54. The six cyl in the '54 runs pretty good, the car just needs brakes. If I bought the '53 I'd wanna work on it immediately, taking time away from the roadster which I have a goal of being roadworthy by next summer. In addition, there's a million little things I factored into the decision. I'm sticking with my original goal. Finish the roadster then build the '54!
    Thanks for all the insight, guys! The HAMB rocks!

If anyone is interested, here's his CL ad. He will take $6K. It's been for sale for a couple of months. He even took it to the car corral at Good Guys Pleasanton.............no takers.
    https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/d/ford-53-2-door-sedan-hot-rod/6251467268.html

Oh yeah, here's a couple more in town.........................
    https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/d/1953-ford-customline/6251250630.html
    https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/d/1953-ford-customline-for/6261504431.html

clunker and rjones35 like this.