Register now to get rid of these ads!

TN HAMBers, ever heard of BERLIN SPEED SHOP (early 1960s)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by slepe67, Oct 10, 2011.

1. slepe67

slepe67

Readers Digest version. Jsut bought a deuce trunklid from a guy in TN. It's cool. If it's historic, I'll keep it as is. If it's not, I'll strip it and use it on my project. Thread (pics on page 1 and page 3, thread 41):
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=633783

I googled the shop and found this thread:

http://www.moparchat.com/forums/printthread.php?t=61961&page=183&pp=12

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR vAlign=bottom><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 14pt">sanborn</TD><TD class=smallfont align=right>11-11-2007 06:52 PM</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <HR>Lefty Musterbaugh(I am not sure of the spelling) was a west coast hot shoe that was one of the first to win major meets in a twin Chev rail. The engines were injected and I think were 402" each.

I bought the Thomas rockers in a fire sale(Berlin's Speed Shop) in 1964. I forgot what I paid---but it was an insurance sale---and stuff was pennies on the dollar.

and later...
    <TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR vAlign=bottom><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 14pt">sanborn</TD><TD class=smallfont align=right>11-11-2007 11:04 PM</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <HR>Yeah, I can remember. I am a little older than you so my experience goes back to the late 50s. I grew up in east Nashville---we had two drag strips in the 50s and in the 60s had three---

based on the info above, and the guy I bought it from, I'll say it's safe to asusme the shop was in the Nashville area. Jsut need to know a timeframe or any info about the shop before I tentatively ruin a piece of history. If the decklid was painted in 1970, I'll strip it. If this is an early 60s deal, I'll hang it on the wall.

If anyone has any info on this shop, please let me know! Thanks!

2. Drewski

Drewski

As I recall Berlins was located on West End Ave. in Nashville, Tn in the late 50's and early 60's. I don't know when it was opened or closed. Give me a day or so and I'll give you the exact address and phone number from an old phone book from that era.

Drew

3. Drewski

Drewski

My wife knew exactly where the old phone book was located.

Taken from a 1959 Southern Bell Nashville Tn. phone book.

Berlin's Speed Shop
    1610 W End Ave.
    Phone AL 5-5752

The business directory (yellow pages) under automobile racing equipment list it as Berlin's Auto Trim Supply Co. with the same address and phone number.

Hope that helps.

Drew

4. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

I could be incorrect, because Berlins goes back before me, but I believe Berlins could have later become CarCo tops, upolstery, and audio, which was located at the forks of Broad and West End, which later became a part of JD Eatherly's Tennessee Speed Sport that still exists out at another location. Mr. Eatherly is a real estate developer and could probably be reached today for the exact history. I may be incorrect.

Side note: I used to work at Cumberland Dodge on the corner of 16'th and west end which is Beaman Toyota today. At the time it was tho oldest Dodge dealership anywhere in existence and the original building which is still underneath the present exterior was a funeral home. You used to be able to see the viewing rooms in the parts dept. The shop was a stable/carriage house. Several times I dragged a floor jack down 16'th and right up into the showroom on West End to get an out of stock part to put a customer back on the road.
    Tom S. in Tn.

5. Gator

Gator

Yes Virginia, there was a Berlin's speed shop. I would still wonder if your decklid was a survivor or a 'tribute' art project, etc.

My friend Pat's F100 with the 'Berlin shop truck' logo, done just for fun.

[​IMG]

6. slepe67

slepe67

Wow! Service with a smile! That was quick, THANKS!

Good stuff, thanks. I doubt this was a "big-time" speed shop then, correct?

Very cool truck! I honestly think mine is legit. I saw the windshield surround, front and rear fenders (which I now own), running boards, doors,and hood. The only thing missing was the body and grille. They all matched, and had that OLD look to them. This isnt a repro, as it's too damn old. Age wise, I think they MIGHT be from the '60s. Any later than that, I think folks were trying to make these things metal flaked/laced/muraled drag cars, and even later easter eggs ??:eek:

Anywho, thanks for all the help, I appreciate it and now might even gets the huevos to sand that decklid down...or not...

7. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

#6;
    " Good stuff, thanks. I doubt this was a "big-time" speed shop then, correct? "

It wasn't as big as Honest Charlie's in Chattanooga, but if the connection I'm thinking about is correct, it was as big as any private auto shop you have visited. KarCo grew to become exceptionally large with branch locations as well as Tenn Speed Sport across the street which merged sometime in the 70's.

Need to find a real old timer. Sadly, I went to the car show at the festival in Hoenwald last Saturday. Made a connection with Jimmy Arron who was there with his funny car. I was excited to see him and immediately began asking about some of the people I knew and he had worked and driven for in years past. To my dismay.......... the first 3 I mentioned were all deceased, and any of them could easily recall Berlins and anything else I'm sure.
    :( We changed the subject at that point.
    Like Gator, I'd have to wonder if that deck lid was actually painted back then, but can't you put that back on after you repaint?
    Tom S. in Tn.

8. slepe67

slepe67

Well, I am in absolutely no rush to get any information. Jsut curious. Still thinking of painting the car the color I want and just re-doing the lettering on my newly painted trunklid. Or not...

Thanks for all the help!

9. p.c.

p.c.

Just saw your post on the "berlins" deck lid. Berlins was a real and damn good speed shop in nashville. mid 50's to (I think) 1963. A fire caused them to close. I first visited there in 1960 when I bought my first car (39 chev cpe). Mr.Berlin was, as they say, good people. The f-100 pictured in a previous reply is mine, so you know the place made quite an impression on me. I'll bet I could find out the history of that decklid, if it came from this area. I'm always on the lookout for any local hot rod history items, so if you, or anyone else, has anything on Berlins or any clubs, etc. let me know.

Thanks,
    P.C.

10. slepe67

slepe67

Good to know. If you happen to run across anything in regards to a red, 32 5 Window with white pin-striping and that decklid let me know PLEASE! Thanks for the help!

11. CWTC10

CWTC10
    from Arab Al

Could it have came from a old racecar? Sponsors maybe? Berlins and the local Amoco station? Just a thought.

12. slepe67

slepe67

that's what I'm thinking. Another HAMBer is a bit pissed at me. He bought all the other shit that went with the car and posted on my otherthread about this. It's pretty amusing.

I jsut think the world can do without another red deuce coupe :)