Register now to get rid of these ads!

TJJ: Vintage Trailers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Django, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Dan

Dan

ok...guess I shoulda looked here before I made my post a couple days ago...thats what I get for being away so long and not using the search, anyhow -
    I have a '60's Wanderer built by McCoy - anyone heard of these? I cannot find anything on the net about this manufacturer??
    Second - I had some water leak in around the vent and the paneling on the roof needs replaced - how do you guys cut the paneling out up next to the walls when a saw cant reach all the way into the corner?? Thanks-

2. studhud

studhud

If its wood over battens you either have to take the trim at the edges off the sides or roof depending on where it is then pull off the skins. You might be able take the roof skin off leaving the side skins but I doubt it. Also the they are like old boats the deeper you dig the more rot you might find. Most important check the floor for soft spots as the floor is the most work to replace. Good luck LTR Dave

3. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

I took the picture of this rig in Paso a few years ago.
    Nice looking set up!

Attached Files:

4. studhud

studhud

Thats Randy Perez' trailer He lives over in fremont Ca That hudson (Well hudson rambler = a Hash) and trailer are bad ass!! He did sell the trailer and picked up a airstream bubble. LTR Dave

5. slow64

slow64
    from MB, Canada

Love the vintage trailers. Gotta get something aluminum someday. Here's our Boler.[​IMG]

6. Roothawg

Roothawg

Bump, becase I am on the lookout again for one. Dang, I can't shake the bug.

7. Leon

Leon

I've put a picture of mine up here before, but it's rare to get a picture of it going down the road. Here's a shot that the guys from Mother's Wax took of it on the Power Tour last month. We towed it 6250 miles with a stopover for one night at Hotrodladycrusr's house. The trailer was the best sleep we got except for that fantastic bed at Denise's house.

Attached Files:

8. GlenC

GlenC

Trailers (or caravans as we call them in Australia) seem to have taken a different line of development here to the US ones. 1940's and 50's vans downunder seem to be mostly made of large sheets of flat plywood over wooden frames, and took on an egg-shape to help overcome towing drag. in the 70's in my long-haired crazy surfer dude phase, (read before I met my wife and got made civilized!)

I actually lived in one almost exactly like this one for 3 years. It was set up just behind the beach in a van park, and was a whole 12' long and 6' 6" wide, so I couldn't sleep flat out in the bed, my feet hit one end and my head the other. The only place I could stand up straight was in the centre of the van, and cleaning the floor took all of 60 seconds with a damp rag! The fridge was in the annex, along with my surfboards and a cupboard for my clothes. They were good times!

[img=http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/1660/b3321af3.th.jpg]

Cheers, Glen.

9. Broman

Broman
    from an Island

Dude, why not just build one?

I have stashed away some plans and fully intend to do this one day.

These things are as simple as a rock, surely a guy like you could hack one together with ease.....

ohh, BTW,

here's a link or two . One for some decent plans - the other just incase you want to know a little more about old campers/trailers.

http://www.angib.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/teardrop/tear00.htm

http://www.vintage-vacations.com/trailerlinks.html

I have more at home...just not enough time to come up with more from here.

10. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Take a trip back in time about 40 years. Dad with his tweed hat and pipe and Mother with her cateye sunglasses and silk scarf over her curlers. An 8 year old boy is in the back seat tormenting his 6 year old sister.
    "You kids knock it of or I'll turn this thing around!" Dad bellows as a little Hiroshima of sparks and smoke erupt from his pipe.
    "Listen to your father you two!" Mom would give us the"glare"
    We quit bugging each other at least for now. We couldn't wait to get to Lake Wanamuckapucka......those were the days![​IMG]

11. Broman

Broman
    from an Island

12. El Jefe's 54 Silver Cloud at the Roundup this last year...

Attached Files:

13. Roothawg

Roothawg

Broman. I may build one. That is an option. I would like to find a really short Airstream or Silver Cloud if possible. I am 6'2" and I don't know if I could lay down in one of those teardrops. We have talked about scaling it up.

14. Broman

Broman
    from an Island

Dude, my favorite ones are the 30's Airfloats. Super art-deco styling.

Take a closer look at the one site with CAD style plans. There are a couple that can totally fit a large person in there.

I am modifying one of the designs to fit a queen sized mattress in there - and I am even building a bunk area for the kids.

When I camp - I really like the "roughing it" approach, so I will usually just bring a tent and stay outside (that's real camping to me anyways) - but if it trys to rain on us or anything I want COMFORT!!

If I ever get these plans finished I will post 'em up for everone to see.....

15. [​IMG]

It's our '78 Burro, but the fact that they didn't want to change the mold makes it look a few years older. it only weighs about 1K lbs., so my 4 cyl. daily drivers can pull it.

We call it the Marshmallow, since this picture, it now has '60 Dodge tail lights, and Corvair wire wheel hubcaps, "The Marshmallow" in a 50's font below the side swoop thing.

We restored it about 6 years ago from the bare shell out, the cushions are all covered in blue denim and the curtains are bandana material. I made all new cabinet doors, a new table top, faired in a room A/C unit under the window ($119 vs. $600 for a roof unit). It will eventually be towed by my '46 Tudor. I painted it with marine topside paint and a brush, using the brushing liquid... It leveled out nice and smooth.

It makes it possible to take cheap vacations, works as an extra guest room and is an integral part of our hurricane plan... They don't allow dogs in the shelters. It'll never be sold.

16. jtrammell

jtrammell

Dam maybe I am really old and reimensing.:(But this thread has really cool old camper . Hell makes me want one to. But alas I got to finish my truck project first.Thought I would post to get it up front and maybe somemore would come up.:D

17. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Some really great stuff here, but I especially liked the blue effie with matching camper. SWEET! Thanks for posting.

18. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Here's mine, it's 1947 made by KIT Manufacturing Co in Norwalk California
    [​IMG]

19. hershambob

hershambob

i just painted this for a guy with a 32 sedan
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Sellers Equipped

Sellers Equipped
    BANNED
    from San Jose

About 13 years ago, this 1947 trailer was used in a camp ground, when i restored it,, i removed the rear panel. had all the info painted on it, guess you could rent them at the camp ground.

Attached Files:

21. PAUCHO

PAUCHO

Very cool to see these old trailers...and I'm glad to see most of them aren't painted to match the cars.....When I see that, I think of an an old couple walking together wearing matching Hawaiian shirts and white pants....It's just to cute for my taste....but my opinion is worth everything you paid for it.........

22. hershambob

hershambob

paucho,just for you!!!ha
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

I recently bought a Model BB truck. I was thinking "flatbed car hauler" for it, but my 13 year old son insists that it should be a motorhome. I was resisting the idea, but after seeing this thread, I think he's right!

24. onemintcaddy

onemintcaddy

Motor home,,,,,

Attached Files:

25. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

Mobile home. But can it outrun the tornado? :eek:

26. PAUCHO

PAUCHO

.....Awww! that's Sooo CUTE !

27. hotrod-kenny

hotrod-kenny

I have a swedish made 69` SMW aluminum trailer. I have plans to strip of the paint and leave it bare. But what should I use to clean the aluminum. Should I put clear coat over it? Anyone have any pointers?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

28. 63_nova_ss

63_nova_ss

29. falconizer_62

falconizer_62

here is a link for polishing instructions...
    http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/Polishing_Advice_s/46.htm

for cleaning the extrusions, window parts etc.
    1. acid wash them (acidic wire wheel cleaner)
    2. murphy's oil soap and 0000 steel wool
    3. mothers aluminum polish.
    it's a bit of work, but the parts come out great!!