Register now to get rid of these ads!

TJJ: Vintage Trailers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Django, Apr 5, 2006.

1. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

It is being reproduced, i saw a few patterns in home depot, comes on a roll.

2. Grumpy

Grumpy
    from NE Ohio

Ok. Here's a few pics.
    Of what is looked like, in progress, and today.

We still need to touch up the paint. We had tape issues.
    I need to put the metal Shasta emblem back on. I stripped the layers of grey paint off to reveal the chrome.

I got me some www's for it too!:D Those need put on.

Just final touch-up and clean up stuff.

I didn't take pics of the updated inside yet. It's all messy and I haven't finished the floor yet.

Anyway. Here she is:cool:

Attached Files:

3. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  4. Broman

Broman
    from an Island

Ahh,

Grumpy - you're making me insanely jealous.

My uncle's Shasta is just like Rusty210's

He has it painted to match his Effie.

It really does look sweet and cute and all of that, but if I had my way I would not make a matching pair.

Just an opinion though.

I drove past this guy's house all year and his Shasta is still sitting there. I should make an offer before someone else does, but I can't justify the purchase yet.

The Vintage Vacations site still has me dreaming.....

5. rusty210

rusty210

Grumpy
    Yours looks good. I'm painting mine in a couple days. You just need the polished wings to finish it off.

6. Grumpy

Grumpy
    from NE Ohio

Yeah, We have the dimensions to make the wings. My buddy is gonna build them out of aluminun. The real wings are expensive.

I agree about painting to match. We didn't want that for ours. We wanted a factory looking Shasta paint scheme.

I'll add updated pics over the weekend once it's "done".

7. OLLIN

OLLIN

[​IMG]
    heres one from like 4 years ago at the annual vintage vacations rally in NewPort CA. I live here in LA so we just went for the day to ride the bikes and BBQ, but they have a weekend campout. Everyone who can should definitely try to make it!
    i think its vintage-vacations.com if you just search "vintage vacations" other stuff comes up.

8. hayduke

hayduke

Here's another shot of one of the ones at at the Round Up...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the motor pulling it...<289?>
    [​IMG]

And another...
    [​IMG]

Cool thread...

9. OLLIN

OLLIN

For those who dont already know...there is an all vintage trailer park-motel in Bisbee AZ, called the Shady Dell. Theres about 10 trailers of different sizes and they are all restored. most of the trailers have original record players with 1950's 45's. It is an awesome experience! it was only like $60/night We stayed in the Spartan Royal Mansion. Plus tombstone AZ is like 20 mins away. we saw a cheesy stunt show at the OK corral. Perfect little weekend gettaway.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. MyOldBuick

MyOldBuick

Do you have the auto or a 4-speed in the Buick Special? V8? Looks like a very cool little setup!

11. Grumpy

Grumpy
    from NE Ohio

I've looked at that Vintage Vacation site. Lots of cool stuff.

There doesn't seem to be any "ralleys" in this part of the world. So we plan on taking it out 4-6 times a year to some of the weekend shows we go to that offer camping.

There's one this weekend. That's why we've be busy trying to get it ready.

I'm going to pull it with my 71 O/T chevy truck, because my 59 Nomad isn't ready to be a pull vehichle.

12. chopt49

chopt49

13. OLLIN

OLLIN

There's another web ring you can join called "tin can tourists" they hold rallies all over the country.Also Im pretty sure there is an awesome trailer museum in Indiana.

14. 41 C28

41 C28

My home built teardrop.

Looking for a set of old van round port hole windows for next teardrop.

Attached Files:

15. Ted H

Ted H

The Wally Byam Caravan Club held their biggest event of the year in july at Salem, or. Among about 1000 trailers was the oldest known Airstream, a 1936 "Torpedo". Owned by a gentle man from Pensacola, Fl it was built from a kit by his father. This is totally unlike any Airstream I've ever seen-no compound curves! Would not be that difficult to make a facimily. Very neat. I have a pic saved but don't know how to post. If anyone is interested I could email the pic for posting here.

Ted

16. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not really vintage but it's 34 years old. Our 72 13 foot Boler. I just finished painting it the same color scheme that I'm going to paint The Brookwood. The bottom is Jamaican yellow and the top is bright white with dx41 flamboyance pearl pigment in the clear...it really sparkles!
    The trailer is super light, it weighs under 1000 pounds dry and you don't even notice it when you are pulling it along. We have taken it for several 500 plus mile trips with little or no problems.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

can a 6'1" guy sleep in the beds (not in a fetal position), but straight out.

18. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm 6'3" and I have an inch at both ends clearance. 'Cept ya gotta sleep 2 deep.:)

19. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

trailer?........ pass the salt and pepper

Attached Files:

20. Alienbaby17

Alienbaby17

This is a great thread....
    Here is one Josie and I are working on right now. We started it last summer. We let it "hibernate" over the winter and now we're going at it again- hope to get the shell completed before it gets too cold.

Jay

IMG_1381.jpg

21. Check out Bubba's Trailer Park. We base ours on templates of an original 1947 "KIT" Teardrop trailer.

22. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Check these out in the gallery at

www.bubbastrailerpark.com

We plan on having the first ever HAMB/SPAM-O-RAMA this year the friday night of Goodguys Indianapolis.

23. ABBoston

ABBoston
    from Boston

I always liked this - a Cabin Car - from what I have read, it was made by an aircraft mfg...

Attached Files:

24. Frank

Frank

I have an old, very small, pop up tent trailer that the tent is gone. Looks like I might have a new project on my hands.

How many of you have pulled a trailer behind an rpu? Just curious if it would be too lite to haul a trailer. I have visions of my front wheels bouncing up and down off the pavement while I'm driving down the highway. How do you figure what capacity a vehicle can pull? I'm not worried about the mechanicals, but the weight distribution.

25. Machinos

Machinos

This was on eBay awhile ago. I reeeally wanted to buy it, but alas...

Attached Files:

26. Leon

Leon

We've finally got our trailer and car back on the road. Gone camping several times in it

Attached Files:

27. Isaak_M

Isaak_M
    from LV/WA

those are super-cool!

28. rpol7966

rpol7966

I've been looking for a vintage trailer to pull with my '41 Ford pickup or the '67 Chevelle wagon. I found one right here in my hometown that was still owned by the original family! It's a '64 Frolic that is in great shape except for minor water damage and very few sheetmatal dings. Bought it yesterday at a bargain!
    I'd like to post some pictures but I'm not that computer savvy. If someone would post them for me I'll E-mail them to you.
    Anxious to get it cleaned up and ready for the summer.

29. wvenfield

wvenfield

What's in your wagon? The factory 6 cylinder? If so, how well does it tow?

30. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Here's one of the Bubbas Trailer Park pics on the road! Its a 56 VW Beetle and my 47 Kit camper.

More at www.bubbastrailerpark.com

Attached Files: