Register now to get rid of these ads!

Titling question on Missouri hot rods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by austinsailor, Apr 10, 2013.

1. austinsailor

austinsailor

I found the T Bucket I was looking for and have a title question, specific to Missouri.

Missouri has 2 things I'm interested in but not that knowledgeable about. The first is hot rod titles. My T bucket was first titled in 1983, and is shown to be a 1983 model specialty car. If I title it as a hot rod, I get a license that is bought once, good forever. That didn't exist when the car was built, does anyone have any hints or warnings about how to do this?

The next question is about the year shown on the title. In Missouri, at least in some cases, a car is titled as the year it most resembles. Has nothing to do with the year of running gear, etc. (You can probably see at once the implication of this - emissions, safety gear, blinkers, etc) In talking to the supervisor at the contract license office (all we have now), he tells me that a replica, like that cute little plastic MG with the VW drive train is no problem, if it looks like a 1932, that is what it will be titled as. If that was what mine was, I could change it there with no problem. But if you have something like my T Bucket with a V8 and some custom work, it can only be registered as the year it was built. But it was plain he wasn't completely sure, and said if I wanted to go to the Highway Patrol, do all the forms and inspections, I might be able to get it changed, but he didn't think so. It certainly wasn't going to happen there.

So, before I sour the deal by saying the wrong thing, going to the wrong office, or some other preventable problem, has anyone been through any of this?
    Does anyone have a kit car that is a custom such as mine have it titled as the year it resembles? Any suggestions on how to do it?

Attached Files:

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

A T Bucket is no different than a MG body on a VW floor plan. Talk to someone else. But if it's already titled, what's the problem? Or do you just want a title to say 1923 for the cool factor and save a few dollars?

3. austinsailor

austinsailor

If it is 1983 I have to have working turn signals. I have to have seat belts, I have to meet some emissions requirements. I'd have to go back and read the statutes again, but I seem to recall a hot rod title is only for pre 1950 (or some specific date in that range). I guess a custom title would work with the buy once advantage, too, but hot rod seems more relevant.

There are most likely other things that matter that are not coming to mind right this minute, but you get the idea.

4. austinsailor

austinsailor

My other home is Texas, and there you title it as what the running gear is, regardless of how it looks. So there isn't the advantage for you that I have here.

5. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

just get historic plates. one time deal no inspection.

6. austinsailor

austinsailor

I could do that, but then you have mileage limits and other complications. I'll go that way if the hot rod doesn't work out or gets too complicated. (I have 4 with historic plates now, need to try something different! :^)

7. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

have they ever checked mileage ?

8. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

My T Bucket is titled as a 1920. SBC 350. As far as the "limited mileage" and other crap on a historic plate, how would they even know? I change out my el cheapo speedometer almost yearly. I have about 20 to 30K on my T, but the present speedo only shows 600+ becuse I replaced it a month ago.

The way your first post is written, it already has a title or am I reading it wrong? If it already has a title, what's the worry?

9. austinsailor

austinsailor

You are correct, it is titled as a "1983 speciality". Seems wrong some way. If you said it would never be a problem, you'd have a 99% chance of being right. If I can easily change it to "1923 Ford" or "1923 Speciality" I'd like it better. Probably as silly as making sure the paint under your floor mats matches.

10. Chief_Wannabe

Chief_Wannabe
    from Ozark, MO

Missouri statutes regarding your situation are listed below. As with a historic vehicle registration, there will be mileage restrictions. In the case of historic registrations, there is "supposed" to be a log book kept in the car to detail your travels and is limited to 1,000 miles per year. This statute just says, " not intended as a daily driver".

Street rod and custom vehicle certificate of title--requirements--fee--safety inspection required--plates issued, content--use of blue dot tail lights.

301.132. 1. For purposes of this section, "street rod" is a vehicle older than 1949 or a vehicle manufactured after 1948 to resemble a vehicle manufactured before 1949; and has been altered from the manufacturer's original design or has a body constructed from nonoriginal materials.
    2. The model year and the year of manufacture that are listed on the certificate of title of a street rod vehicle shall be the model year and year of manufacture that the body of such vehicle resembles. The current and all subsequent certificates of ownership shall be designated with the word "REPLICA".
    3. For each street rod, there shall be an annual fee equal to the fee charged for personalized license plates in section 301.144 in addition to the regular annual registration fees.
    4. In applying for registration of a street rod pursuant to this section, the owner of the street rod shall submit with the application a certification that the vehicle for which the application is made:
    (1) Will be maintained for occasional transportation, exhibitions, club activities, parades, tours, and similar uses;
    (2) Will not be used for general daily transportation.
    5. In addition to the certification required pursuant to subsection 4 of this section, when applying for registration of a street rod, the new owner of the street rod shall provide proof that the street rod passed a safety inspection in accordance with section 307.350 that shall be approved by the department of public safety in consultation with the street rod community in this state.
    6. On registration of a vehicle pursuant to this section, the director of the department of revenue shall issue to the owner two license plates containing the number assigned to the registration certificate issued by the director of revenue, and the following words: "STREET ROD", "STATE OF MISSOURI". Such license plates shall be kept securely attached to the motor vehicle registered pursuant to this section. The director of revenue shall determine the characteristic features of such license plates for vehicles registered pursuant to the provisions of this section so that they may be recognized as such, except that such license plates shall be made with fully reflective material with a common color scheme and design, shall be clearly visible at night, and shall be aesthetically attractive, as prescribed by section 301.130.
    7. Unless the presence of the equipment was specifically required by a statute of this state as a condition of sale in the year listed as the year of manufacture on the certificate of title, the presence of any specific equipment is not required for the operation of a vehicle registered pursuant to this section.
    8. Except as provided in subsection 5 of this section, a vehicle registered pursuant to this section is exempt from any statute of this state that requires periodic vehicle inspections and from any statute of this state that requires the use and inspection of emission controls.
    9. A "custom vehicle" means any motor vehicle that:
    (1) Is at least twenty-five years old and of a model year after 1948, or was manufactured to resemble a vehicle twenty-five years old or older and of a model year after 1948; and
    (2) Has been altered from the manufacturer's original design, or has an entire body constructed from nonoriginal materials.
    10. The model year and the year of manufacture that are listed on the certificate of title of a custom vehicle shall be the model year and year of manufacture that the body of such vehicle resembles. The current and all subsequent certificates of ownership shall be designated with the word "REPLICA".
    11. For each custom vehicle, there shall be an annual fee equal to the fee charged for personalized license plates in section 301.144 in addition to the regular annual registration fees.
    12. In applying for registration of a custom vehicle pursuant to this section, the owner of the custom vehicle shall submit with the application a certification that the vehicle for which the application is made:
    (1) Will be maintained for occasional transportation, exhibits, club activities, parades, tours, and similar uses; and
    (2) Will not be used for general daily transportation.
    13. In addition to the certification required pursuant to subsection 12 of this section, when applying for registration of a custom vehicle, the new owner of the custom vehicle shall provide proof that the custom vehicle passed a safety inspection in accordance with section 307.350 that shall be approved by the department of public safety in consultation with the street rod community in this state.
    14. On registration of a vehicle pursuant to this section, the director of the department of revenue shall issue to the owner two license plates containing the number assigned to the registration certificate issued by the director of revenue, and the following words: "CUSTOM VEHICLE", "STATE OF MISSOURI". Such license plates shall be kept securely attached to the motor vehicle registered hereunder. The director of revenue shall determine the characteristic features of such license plates for vehicles registered pursuant to the provisions of this section so that they may be recognized as such, except that such license plates shall be made with fully reflective material with a common color scheme and design, shall be clearly visible at night, and shall be aesthetically attractive, as prescribed by section 301.130.
    15. Unless the presence of the equipment was specifically required by a statute of this state as a condition of sale in the year listed as the year of manufacture on the certificate of title, the presence of any specific equipment is not required for the operation of a vehicle registered pursuant to this section.
    16. Except as provided in subsection 13 of this section, a vehicle registered pursuant to this section is exempt from any statute of this state that requires periodic vehicle inspections and from any statute of this state that requires the use and inspection of emission controls.
    17. For purposes of this section, "blue dot tail light" is a red lamp installed in the rear of a motor vehicle containing a blue or purple insert that is not more than one inch in diameter. 18. A street rod or custom vehicle may use blue dot tail lights for stop lamps, rear turning indicator lamps, rear hazard lamps, and rear reflectors.

11. zjerry

zjerry

I have street rod plates on my 1940 chevy . I use to drive it to work every day. I like this part exempt from vehicle inspections ..

16. Except as provided in subsection 13 of this section, a vehicle registered pursuant to this section is exempt from any statute of this state that requires periodic vehicle inspections and from any statute of this state that requires the use and inspection of emission controls.

12. We do not have a "hot rod" title in Missouri.
    street rod plates we do have.

If you have no title at all,you should consider doing this....
    Get a title thru Missouri's Bonding title process.

All you need is a detailed "bill of sale" from anyone, with specifics like serial/vin numbers color/ engine/ etc etc.

Then you buy a 30 dollar form at any license fee office- that gets you an appointment at the local Highway patrol office and an inspection of your cars VIN numbers.[no equiptment is checked at the time[however car needs to be a completed car]
    If your vehicle has no VIN numbers they assign you a number and apply a serial tag for you...

the bond you get thru your insurance company and is for an amount you say[more bond costs more and prevents "claims" [ prev owners] but you do pay sales tax on that same amount so....]
    Id bond it for 1,000.00- low cost and prob- never an issue]

this inspection/form then gets you a title that is open to claims from previous owners for two years.
    After the two years it is a non revokable instrument and all is good....
    you can specify the title's "description" of your car at the time of inspection...

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  13. 56FRLN

56FRLN

I've had historic plates on my '56 for almost 20 years and have never been asked for proof of mileage or other limitiations you refer to. I don't know - maybe I've been lucky so far but I've not heard of anyone getting hassled or questioned about their historic plates. You say that you have 4 vehicles that already have the historic plates - what kinds of problems have you run into that you want to avoid with the T?

14. Us Missouri hotrodders have used the antique plates for years....
    They were at one time different than the ones issued currently.

I am not positive when the change occoured,but unlike the early issued plates, the newer ones come with a log book to record trips/mileage put on the car.....

I never was asked about that mile log on my newer ones I have, and never was a problem on the earlier plates either....

15. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Sorry, I thought it said;
    Timing question on Missouri hot rods.

16. austinsailor

austinsailor

You guys make good points. I've not been hassled over my historic plates, but then, I've always used them pretty much as they were intended.

Sorry about my bad memory, sure, it's street rod, not hot rod, but the DMV guy didn't know, so there's my proof he didn't know what he was talking about!

But, bottom line, I went to Jeff City this morining and by 8:05 I had shiny new historic plates.

Now, soon as I get that 351 repaired I'll see who I can terrorize!

Thanks for all the feedback.