Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Title Question!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shawn F., Mar 28, 2014.

  1. From my experience with the NC DMV License & Theft inspectors that helped me get my roadster titled. They don't hate cars nor people..It's the people that try to register cars by doing something sneaky/illegal/shady that they hate... I asked and was advised from the get-go of what I need to supply them..Once everything was in order, the rest was a snap..
    After all, its their job to do it right...and they could lose their job if it isn't done right..and it also protects your investment that its done right...

    As far as the OP's question..Straighten it out in SC first , then go to the NC DMV....My friends that live in SC seem to have less trouble registering /titling cars than we do in NC
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
  2. F.O.G
    Joined: Oct 31, 2006
    Posts: 259

    from Pacific,Mo

    Had the same thing happen to me with a Harley, easy fix here in Mo. Had the local
    police verify correct number on state form and send it in with title app and good to go.
  3. Hurley50
    Joined: Feb 3, 2012
    Posts: 568

    from NC

    I agree, they are making sure the car is actually the car on the title. I had to go through mine and kind of tell him what has been changed from the original. I even showed him where the patch panels are on the inside of the car that shows it is a real steel car. He said they are trying to prevent guys that have a brand new fiberglass car and claiming it is a 32... When I brought my Studebaker to NC in 2002 it was much easier, you just need to get a safety inspection.
  4. kbgreen
    Joined: Jan 12, 2014
    Posts: 340


    Sometimes titles are over-rated for older vehicles. I have a '41 Ford PU and upon purchase saw that the title for for a 1941 F1 (?) and had a completely different serial no.

    In GA all I needed was a previous registration or a police officers completed form indicating what the serial no. was and a bill of sale. GA does not issue a title for cars before about 1964.

    I talked to the MI DMV about a mock situation where if I were a MI resident and just bought the same vehicle from some guy in GA with a valid registration and bill of sale but no title as GA does not issue titles for cars that old, would I be able to get a title and register the car in MI. MI DMV clearly said yes they would.

    In the case of the PO I would be tempted to register the car with no title than have an incorrect title.
  5. 1971BB427
    Joined: Mar 6, 2010
    Posts: 6,522

    from Oregon

    I don't know about NC or SC, but here in Oregon previous titles are stored and a search of the stored documents will show when the error occurred. I brought my Austin from Wa. and the title numbers matched, but Oregon made a mistake when making up the new title by mixing up numbers. I called them and they sent papers out for me to request a search of the records, and they found the old title and where their agent made the mistake.
    I think I would contact SC DMV and get them to correct the error first, even if you have to load the car and take it to a DMV in SC along with the paperwork. It will make things simpler to do the transfer in NC. If they wont help, then as a last resort see if NC will use common sense and see it's a simple mix up of two numbers.
  6. Pops1532
    Joined: Jun 19, 2011
    Posts: 544

    from Illinois

    Here in IL the Secretary of State offices handle titles and registrations. Many of the employees at the satellite offices do hate people but even worse, they don't know what they're talking about some of the time. They do ok on the day to day stuff, but if something is out of their comfort zone forget it. You're likely to get bad info from them. Here in IL the best bet is to call the home office in Springfield.

    As for the OP's problem. I agree. Get it fixed in SC.
  7. Shawn F.
    Joined: Mar 14, 2005
    Posts: 590

    Shawn F.

    OK I just found out that the PO bought the car in NC last August... Maybe NC can do a searchand see that the SC title is messed up.
  8. Shawn F.
    Joined: Mar 14, 2005
    Posts: 590

    Shawn F.

    Update: I called NC and SC DMV today and after all day and being ran around I got SC to find the history on the title and where the screw up happened. They are mailing me forms showing it and telling NC that it can be fixed. The lady said it's up to NC to let it pass or not. I am hoping since the record is there and SC gave me a letter giving permission that they will fix it and let it pass. If not the lady said to go into SC DMVand they wI'll give me a new corrected title and have the PO sign it back over to me. Only issue with second option is the PO moved this weekend so it would be a pain.
  9. creepjohnny
    Joined: Dec 1, 2007
    Posts: 877

    from Sunland,CA

    Make a new vin plate with the number on the paper.

    Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!
  10. Shawn F.
    Joined: Mar 14, 2005
    Posts: 590

    Shawn F.

    It's ok I got it taken care of... Bad news is I did a compression test and the guy lied about the motor. 3 cylinders are dead and the others are only pushing 30-50 psi... Marvel Mystery oil is sitting in the plug holes now but there is no hope for it. I got screwed on this deal and eating it badly now... Not sure what to even do at this point since I am out of funds and rebuilding the flatty is not an option...
  11. summersshow
    Joined: Mar 3, 2013
    Posts: 899

    from NC

    O shit man... What is the car? I got a restoration shop in NC, where you located? I may be able to help... Send me some more info...
  12. ROADSTER1927
    Joined: Feb 14, 2009
    Posts: 2,866


    All is not lost flatheads stick valves all the time and are not an expensive fix, Gary
  13. Shawn F.
    Joined: Mar 14, 2005
    Posts: 590

    Shawn F.

    Sorry late response but I never got notification on this thread... Anyways, I have a shop as well here in south Charlotte, NC. I pulled the heads and one piston has a huge chip in it and it scarred the cylinder wall pretty bad. The motor is toast and needs a full rebuild. Problem is finding someone who knows what they are doing to machine and rebuild it. So far people I have talked to said they do a lot of SBC and SBF motors and this one would be no different. When I hear that, I run... lol Valves were stuck as well but I was able to free a few up but it's a waste of time and money now. The car is junk and I lost $4000 total on it now after purchase, buying parts, tow truck, etc. The guy who I bought it from thought he was a bad ass and tried to threaten me after I told him I found out about it and want him to make it right so that's ok, he will get his soon...
  14. Shawn F.
    Joined: Mar 14, 2005
    Posts: 590

    Shawn F.

    I am just South of Charlotte. What about yourself?
  15. Sell it to New York, where it won't matter if it has a title at all.

    I'm sure what's junk to you there is better than what people save up here. How hard could it be to throw a used 350 and trans in it so it will run and go? There were plenty in the Winston-Salem and Columbia SC Pull-a-Parts last fall. I didn't have time to stop at the Charlotte one.
  16. bartmcneill
    Joined: Dec 23, 2009
    Posts: 386

    from Ada, OK

    I don't know how it works where you live but in Oklahoma, you are better off going to a country tag agent than to a city one. The ones in just about any town won't help you but if there is one in either a small town of out of town, they will.

Share This Page

Register now to get rid of these ads!


Copyright © 1995-2021 The Jalopy Journal: Steal our stuff, we'll kick your teeth in. Terms of Service. Privacy Policy.

Atomic Industry
Forum software by XenForo™ ©2010-2014 XenForo Ltd.