Register now to get rid of these ads!

Title question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by freeflynstl, Dec 29, 2009.

1. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This not only holds true state-to-state, but DMV branch-to-branch, and even window-to-window inside each DMV.

If you are at the DMV (especially in CA) and you get an answer you don't like, bet back in line and take another number. You might be shocked at the results. If the window-jockey had to ask a higher-up for the answer, jut go to a different DMV. "Against the law" can turn to registration and plates on the other side of town. Believe it! Be polite and respectful, and SMILE:)!

2. austinsailor

austinsailor

>Go here and read everything: http://dor.mo.gov/mvdl/motorv/titleman/

This might shock some, but their manual is not always correct. There have been times when I've found that their "Official" manual is wrong. For example, if you buy a boat from Kansas all you get, all you can get, is a bill of sale. Their manual said you had to have a title. After pushing it, they found it was wrong. Did they change it? I doubt it.

I'm guessing that is not the only thing wrong. I can also show you completely conflicting instructions, in writing, from them telling what is required for a certain type of title.

The point is, not only are the clerks at the window often wrong, not only are the supervisors often wrong, their written instructions are often wrong.

This means that the people posting "go to a different window", or " go to a different office" are completely on track.

3. CoolHand

CoolHand
    Alliance Vendor

I don't doubt that a bit, though our state laws aren't as convoluted and contradictory as some.

Your best bet is to find someone in the offices who is friendly, and explain to them what you have, and what you would like to end up with, and see if they can help you navigate the bullshit river from A to B.

Out here in the middle of nowhere, it's not too bad, because the folks who run the county office are easy to get along with, and actually want to help you out.

It helps that I live in a very small and poor county, so that the folks at the offices are happy to see you, if for no other reason than to have something to do. :D

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Out here in CA, our laws are actually written in plain English, and are not terribly convoluted (with some exceptions).

The big issue with the DMV seems to be knowledge and training. In my frequent trips I have observed nothing to indicate that there is a standardized training system. Given the range of knowledge, it is hard to imagine that there is one.

Everyone I have dealt with seems to have a different take on the laws, if they even know about them.

It is a frequent occurrence that I am presenting a DMV form that the window person has never seen before, or am asking for a service never done before by that person, or both. It seems to be a standard reaction to the unknown to say that it is impossible, or illegal. I am unsure if this reaction is part of the training.

To their credit, they are far more often than not, pleasant, and at least attempt to help.

5. SaltCityCustoms

SaltCityCustoms

In some states the body I.D.# on the firewall tag was used as the vin and in other states the serial number on the engine was used as the vin, I don't know what states did what but the title he has may have been from a state that used the engine block number as the vin as so the firewall tag wouldn't have the same number. I know on my 38 chevy the numbers are different but my grandfather is the only person to have ever owned the car and i have the original registration with his name on it.

6. Arrowsmith

Arrowsmith
    from Mo

7. 5window

5window

No help to you at all, but to title my '31 as a street rod here in PA, I had to send in my old title.Penndot voided that one and sent me a new title and VIN tag for the firewall, then i had to get it re-inspected. Isn't it cute that every state is different?

8. Guys, it bears repeating that YOU must first have had a title to a car and in YOUR NAME to apply for a LOST TITLE! It must already be in YOUR name to do so. I can NOT apply for a LOST TITLE for any car but one that I already have title to in the first place!!! There is sooooo much wrong and misunderstood information about "lost titles". YOU can NOT apply for a LOST TITLE for a vehicle that YOU currently do not have title/legal ownership to!!!

Example: I buy a supercharged 1955 Putzenfuk Special from John Doe. John Doe had owned the car for 40 years, and had the car registered and titled in his name, but he can not find the title. I can NOT file for a LOST TITLE because my name has never been as the title holder. ONLY Mr. Doe can apply for the "lost title", because the car is still in HIS NAME. Once he gets what is known as a DUPLICATE TITLE and signs the car over to me, then I can get a title for it.