Register now to get rid of these ads!

Title Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by layin_frame_56, Nov 15, 2008.

1. layin_frame_56

layin_frame_56
    from Ohio

I gotta guy wanting to trade me a prostreet car its a 38 ford and he told me in Alabama cars that old dont have titles just a registration is this true or a lie? Also does anyone know if it is true how do i get a title in Ohio for it? Also is there a way to make sure its not stolen? Thankx for any and all info you all can help me with .. Mike

2. Terry D

Terry D
    from NY

It is true,just like NY,there are no titles for older cars.The registration is the ownership.I would talk to your Motor Vehicle dept but should be no problem.After you register it in your name you will get an Ohio title.

3. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

Ohio is real hard to deal with on Alabama registration. I have had one car that never did get an Ohio title. Just make sure you have all your ducks in a row before money changes hands.

4. layin_frame_56

layin_frame_56
    from Ohio

Ok the guy said the last time it was registered was about 4 or 5 yrs ago does that matter?

5. 2$ Bill

2$ Bill

This is a gamble I would NOT risk. I just had my title inspection done by the Ohio Highway Patrol earlier in the summer. I have been preparing for the V.I.N./title inspection for nearly 11 years. The Trooper will want to see reciepts on every major component here in Ohio...engine, tranny, frame, you name it... Even on older out of state cars with a title, they will do a V.I.N. search/inspection on it. If it has any stolen or insurance pay off/total on it, a new title will NOT be issued. The Troopers are especially strict on this in Ohio. To make matters worse, Ohio has only a few inspection places. Your wait may be several months. If you have snags with the inspection, multiply your wait by however many re-inspections it takes to get it done. It is not a quick process. I work as a suburban officer and have some knowlege of it from on-duty as well as from my own build. I would be very cautious about the trade your describing. Good Luck!

6. 2$ Bill

2$ Bill

If you do decide to go thru with the trade, your first step will be to go to your local license or title bureau. Pay a fee for a self-assembled/salvage title inspection. Once paid, they will give you a reciept and a phone number & address for an inspection station. Call the inspection satation to schedule a date. The paperwork they give you will allow you to drive the vehicle to the inspection site. This fee & paperwork is a one time deal. If the vehicle doesn't pass for what ever reason, another fee will be required for each succeeding inspection. It's a real pain so beware....

7. get a copy of the last registration and call the alabama hiway patrol to see if its stolen. i have had cars from alabama in the past called to make sure they were not stolen but when i do i always write down the date,time and who i spoke with just in case.... good luck.

8. 2$ Bill

2$ Bill

I don't know why, but, Ohio is really up-tight about this. Believe it or not but they even required a serial number inspection on an old aluminum Sears & Roebuck canoe I bought at a garage sale. It had not been registered for about 10 years so they wanted to inspect it & issue all new state of Ohio serial numbers. I don't get it....???

9. layin_frame_56

layin_frame_56
    from Ohio

I bought a car from Michigan and all i had to do was have them check the vin with the title so cant they just check the registration with the vin???

10. 2$ Bill

2$ Bill

Not having a title or paper trail opens up a whole different can of worms.

11. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

K ,,Having dealt with old NY Reggies heres the poop. What you need to do is get proof ( you can find it online im sure ) stating how ownership papers were done in certain states.
    Then take thsi with you to your Notary along with your paper work and make application for a title. NOW if you can find some old established places that been doing it as older folks are better at having knowledge of these things.. Young people are clueless and could car less if teh computer can't provide an answer they will just say NO or worst take your paperwork.

Quick example.. had to transfer the Reggie for my 59 Pan ,,it was NY 1966,,NY btw did not have actual titles until 1973. So I took information about this to the local Notary. They made a quick call to Albany ,,and then processed the paperwork.. Now it did all have to go off to Harrisburg ,but in a few weeks I had a new clear Pennsylvania Title for my bike.

As with anything that is paper work related ..Do all your home work get all teh info you can and ( keeping it simple ) explain to people what you want/need to have done.. HOLD on to your ownership paper until it is asked for and you have been told ."ok we can do this" I have seen some Monkeys take good paperwork and write void on it,,completely screwing someone out of a clear title.

Mind you each state is Different and MAY not honor certain things as mentioned above.. I know New Jersey is one of the worst for trying to get paper work in.

If you have access to a backwoods Notary they are the best way to go.

12. 62rebel

62rebel

easy way? go to the respective state's DMV website and look for FAQ's regarding titles. IMHO do not take for granted any bullshit somebody tells you for gospel. I've been sitting on a car now for nearly a year because the SC DMV won't take the Bill Of Sale from Georgia, signed and notarized, as a tranfer document. an untitled car from out of state is a major PITA to remedy.

and online title companies? screw them. they STILL require that YOU do the preliminary work before they do ANYHTING and it STILL takes three or more months.

golden rule: don't buy a car without a title. period. even a "parts car".

13. dannyego

dannyego

Hey Man, Im in Ohio and have dealt with trying to get a car titled with just registration. I have been trying for a year. As far as I am concerned it cannot be done legally. You cant even get a title company to help you in this lovely state. I would reccomend collecting a "historical document" or having someone in another state title it for you. I will never buy another car without a title unless I move out of here.

14. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Not for nothing ,,If he has the car and lives in that state ,,he can go get you a title with no hassle at all..

There are many ways to do it legally.. Just have to do alot of research and paperwork

15. My friend from VT said yes you can get a title but be ready to take some time and beat your head on the wall and have the guy agree in righting to do any leg work in his home state

16. layin_frame_56

layin_frame_56
    from Ohio

Great sounds like a real pain in the A@@ .. thankx for all the input

17. everything i buy in michigan and resell in ohio generally just calls for my local dmv station owner to come out and run the numbers off the out of state car/boat....i've never had to have the cops involed...besides if i did , i could have had my mom do it, she's a retired Hamilton County Sherrif..........if it has a vin on it you can run it in michigan for leins, stolen ect and if clean ya get a title for $15 and sales tax...i found the vin on my topolino body and just diid all this...no cops involed here either....and i have taken many cars and boats to ohio and had the titles transferred to ohio with out being bothered by John Law........i guess it depends on how bad ya want it..i bought my topo without any thought about getting a title, and had it for several weekd before "happening" upon the vin;)

18. 2$ Bill

2$ Bill

If you're not already sick of hearing them, here is yet another common hassle I encounter reqularly with Ohio title laws....

A person may have an older car that is perfectly serviceable. The car is of low value due to its age. The car gets involved in a crash and the insurance company "totals it" because the cost to fix it exceeds the value of the car. Many people think they can just bolt on some junkyard fenders and be back on the road. If only it was that simple. When an insurance company "totals" the vehicle it renders the title null and void. Eventhough the car has belonged to the same person all along, it still has to be inspected and a new title has to be issued to be legal.

It's a hassle. I think the Ohio state legislature has gone overboard on these laws, but, it is what it is....unfortunately they didn't consult any of us.

The Trooper that did the inspection on my car happened to be an acquaintenance. Because of that he was a little more personable than most of them. During the course of the inspection he told story after story of the cherry cars he encountered over the years that couldn't be run legally on the street due to a snafu in the title background. My only reason for relating all of this is because I would hate for someone to have this happen to them. It would really stink to have an awesome car that couldn't be driven legally. Or worse yet, be driving an illegal car and have a ticket, arrest or impound occur. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

The sum total of what I'm trying to say is, be careful...make sure everything is golden before you close this deal. What ever you decide, I wish you the best.:)

2$ Bill

19. falconwagon62

falconwagon62

I am a Notary in the State of Ohio

If the car is from Bama...Get a Bill of Sale from the prior owner, take it to the DMV or a local car dealer, they will do a VIN inspection,takes 5 minutes.... the only time you need receipts if it is a Home built kit car or a rebuilt total...so I took my 62 koon wagon to 32 Ford, with by Bill of sale the did the VIN insection, drove up the road to the title office...and BAM I have a titled car in Ohio, no fuss...no muss....If you need a builders title for a Kit or a Total, yes the troopers ar butt heads, and it can take months.....if you need a notary in the Cincinnati area on weekends ect...give me a call.....John

20. layin_frame_56

layin_frame_56
    from Ohio

Ya all that sounds good but the guy just told me he cant find the vin tag on the car. He replaced the firewall and dont remember seeing it there or in the door jamb I dont think im getting this car if i cant get it titled. It would be a cool race car but i really want a prostreet something to race and drive.

21. rodknocker

rodknocker

You can always try these guys, http://www.its-titles.com/ ,I've never used them, but if you do a search on here,many people have and with good results.

22. You are in luck there was no VIN tag on the firewall that was replaced. There is no VIN tag on the door (unless it was applied later by some state DMV). The VIN (actually the serial number) is located on top of the driver's side frame rail near the steering box. Should have the format *18-xxxxxxx* (where * is a star and xxxxxxx is a 7 digit number). If the car came with a 60 hp engine the 18 will be another 2 digit number). You may need to carefully scrape paint to find the number (which may be faint).

Charlie Stephens

23. I should add that the number is stamped into the frame rail and not on a tag. If you see a tag on someones firewall, it is a body number.

Charlie Stephens

24. layin_frame_56

layin_frame_56
    from Ohio

Ya but it has a tube chassis now.. But thankx for the info