Register now to get rid of these ads!

Title issue

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 62cadd, May 25, 2011.

1. 62cadd

62cadd

Delete !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: May 25, 2011
  2. 50ChevyFrank

50ChevyFrank

I guess the title has the person's name and address? Google him... You may be able to get a phone number. Or write him a letter explaining that you bought the car from _____ and the title was signed on the wrong line. He may be willing to help you out.

3. 62cadd

62cadd

Delete !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Swifster

Swifster

You are screwed. The guy you bought the car from jumped title (illegal). At this point, he doesn't care. The guy with the name on the title could be dead for all you know. And that bad signature is why the guy you bought it from probably didn't keep the car. You need to have a heart-to-heart talk with your DMV. As far as I know, no one puts DL numbers on the internet. That's how identity theft starts.

5. 62cadd

62cadd

Delete !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. SquireDon

SquireDon
    from Oregon

Do a Zaba Search on him. It's free, and it has always worked for me:

www.zabasearch.com

7. 62cadd

62cadd

Delete !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. alchemy

alchemy

Those "agencies" are getting investigated by the state and feds for fraud. Try to find the original seller harder. Or if there is no other legal way to do it (bonded title), then get your money back from the guy you bought it from.

9. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

I've been told to go find the guy "I'm sure he's out in the parking lot. cough cough".

10. Yeah, but this guy needs his driver's license ID number, you're not going to find unless you find the actual, real guy, or you have a buddy who works in the DMV that would do an illegal search for you.

Maybe the answer is to "sell" the car to a buddy who lives in another state where they could care less about that number - better yet, one that doesn't use titles at all - then "buy" it back from him when it has paperwork from the other state and go back to the DMV.

11. raidmagic

raidmagic

Throw the paper the DMV gave you in the trash. Fill out the title properly and go back down there and hand it to them. I had this very thing happen on a boat I bought. The second time I walked right in and right back out no issues.

12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You too, huh! I thought that just happened to me, several times.:eek:

13. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

You say you "got the signature down" which implies that you've been practicing writing someone else's signature. Someone who may be dead, or someone who may be the rightful owner of a car that was stolen from them.

Now I'm not judging you or your actions, but I will say (in a friendly way) it ain't too smart to post stuff like that on the internet.

14. brad chevy

brad chevy

Did you get the car from an individual seller or just a car flipper or trader that does this on a regular basis? If you can"t find the info you need just tell the dude to give your money back or you will take legal action. Next time you buy a car check the paperwork on the spot,thats whats got you in this mess.There is a law in the state of Fla that states if you sell more than 6 cars a year you must be Licensed by the state as a dealer.That why the traders are selling cars not legally registered in their name.Good luck!

15. skoh73

skoh73

If you are friends with someone in law enforcement, have them look for the original owner in the system.

16. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

You really should find the owner. It's going to be a lot easier than trying to get some janky-ass title, or forge his signature, etc. For all you know, he's dead and that car is tied up in probate court or something. (Been there)

17. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

It sure is easier on Maine. For anything 15 years old or older no title required. All ya need is a bill of sale . The state checks the vin or serial number to make sure it isn't stolen and you're in business.

18. stephen p

stephen p

get a title bond. it's not that big of a deal. titles aren't some mystical thing, as long as there is no leins against it, or reported stolen, you can get a title.

19. Swifster

Swifster

My suggestion...Send a registered letter to the address on the title. When the letter is returned unopened, show this to the DMV. Maybe they can do something if you show you made the attempt. Second, I would DEMAND a bill of sale from the guy you bought the car from. Between the two, I would like to think you can get some form of title. Look at the date on the title. Is it like 40 years old? Maybe you can see if it's still in the system. Maybe if it isn't you can get a lost title replacement. Hard to say what the DMV will allow.

20. Do a lein sale on it.

21. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wouldn't be trying to put a bogus signature on the title and trying to run it past the dmv. I'd probably just take it to a different dmv office and very innocently lay it on the counter with cash in hand and ask to transfer the title. Then if that clerk says anything just tell them that you never noticed. The sellers, signature and no one elses on the title should be enough even if it is in the wrong place. I've transferred probably 20 titles in the past 30 years and never signed one when I bought the car.

Or since you do have the title and no one can lay claim to the car going with a bonded title might actually be less hassles in the long run. At least that would keep you out of trouble for putting a bogus signature on the title and getting found out.

I'd still try and run the guy down, there are ways to do it (some a bit shady) if you have friends in the right places. Have you ever gone over to the address on the title and knocked on the door?

22. xix32

xix32

that sure seems like it could be a common mistake, that would be over looked by a considerate, helpfull person.
    we don't have any of those working at our dmv here in illinois. their goal seems to be to annoy us enough so we don't come back to be work load for them
    because of that, i've never taken a title to them to be transfered.
    i go to my auto insurance agent ( they send them into the state). they treat me like they want my repeat business.

23. truckncoupe

truckncoupe

title 42 sounds like to me...start all over!

24. stephen p

stephen p

mr. 48 chev has the right idea. just go to a different clerk and act dumb. i've bought/sold many vehicles. you'd be amazed how many people are incapable of reading. 9x out of 10 they overlook it being signed in the wrong place

25. Willy301

Willy301

I agree with the bond thing or if you have a friend in Law enforcement, let him lean on the seller a bit for you.

26. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

WOW you got the signature down...thats a felony....your not the brightest crayon in the box admitting that....