Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Tires-BW or WW??????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dirty old man, Jul 10, 2018.

1. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

When I bought my roadster as a mocked up rolling chassis it was already shod with a set of Coker bias ply WWs that already had been on it for a number of years, and since then it took several years for my worn out 80 year old ass to get it at least roadworthy and reasonably presentable, and the tires are quite old..
    Now I just plain don't trust those old tires any longer, plus they are so hard that the 8.20X15 rears won't even leave any black marks, they just scrub the pavement clean, LOL.
    Been trying to decide between more WWs or BWs, with the WWs costing about double the BWs and just couldn't decide which way to go. Had a lot of expense lately and money is sorta tight.
    Then I got the idea from another thread to try to get it photo shopped form WW now to BW, contacted Moose here on HAMB and he is going to photoshop BWs onto the photo below which is a driveby with my Son and DIL in the car. I will contact Moose and he will photoshop when he has time.
    Your comments are welcomed and appreciated.
    BGII pic.JPG

Deuces, Bandit Billy and Jalopy Joker like this.
  2. For me the white walls always look better on painted rims. With chrome or polished rims I prefer black wall.

james lakes and Bandit Billy like this.
  3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

WW makes it look pretty - BW will give a true Hot Rod look - either look will be good for such a nice ride

zzford likes this.
  4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It looks like it's photoshop time for one of the photo shop guys to give D O M a look at it with black walls,

5. If you want it to look like a "traditional" '40's - '50's rod, put whitewalls on it.

6. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I own a very cool pair of 20 year old Air Jordans and I wear them once in a while when I'm dressed appropriately, say black jeans and a Chicago Black Hawks jersey. But I don't wear them with a tuxedo. I think your classy tux of a roadster will look more at home with black walls IMHO. (and maybe black wheels)

zzford likes this.
  7. OK Dave...I hope this helps.........

bw.jpg

Tim, Tudor, zzford and 2 others like this.
  8. Deuces

Deuces

Looks great with or without the white walls... :)

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    Cosmo49 likes this.
  9. dan31

dan31

Could go either way, but really like the white walls.

10. JohnCox

JohnCox

11. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

WWW really make it pop !

12. robracer1

robracer1

A 32 black roadster with red rims, WW only

13. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Thx Moose, I gotta say that I do like it with the WWs better.

themoose and Rambling Rudy like this.
  14. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I well remember Porta Walls, and I also remember being a passenger in a '57 Ford in a late night street race that was purely top end on a deserted divided 4 lane road and the centrifugal force tearing those porta walls to bits!:confused::eek:

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  15. Well now Dave I really like white walls on black Roadsters!! IMG_5302.JPG

Deuces and jim snow like this.
  16. Hombre

Hombre

White walls, Black walls, both are a choice thing. It would be pretty damn hard to make that little Black Roadster look "Bad" which either way you go, but hell Dave you already know that.

So what is the real thing here? Getting your ass back on the road in a car you trust and have faith in, that is what is most important....

seadog likes this.
  17. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Appreciate Moose doing the photoshop, and all the nice comments and compliments.
    After looking at it both ways, I've pretty much decided to stick with the WWs. To me it just stands out with a nice contrast as well as being more in the style of my long ago gone days of youth:cool::)

themoose and Deuces like this.
  18. chopnchaneled

chopnchaneled
    from Buford Ga.

I'm with you on the WW's
    One question, Are your wheels red or orange ? or is it my screen?

19. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Joe, the wheels are a Chevy engine enamel orange. There are 2 shades of Chevy engine orage and they are the one that is the "reddest" of the 2. Matched to the engine paint, as I didn't think it would look right using red and orange so close to each other.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    Deuces likes this.
  20. I have to agree,the whitewalls make a statement,but the blackwalls really look old school. HRP

21. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

Same car, different wheels, tires & hood. fullsizeoutput_4bd.jpeg IMG_6151.JPG

Deuces likes this.
  22. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

I like it both ways Dave. To me it would come down to how much I want to clean white walls . Mine require some attention each time I wipe down the car, which is just about every time I take it out......

23. skipperman

skipperman

WHITE WALLS ....... they WAKE it UP ... Just look at my Avatar ...

24. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Buy the blackwalls and use the money you save to fill the gas tank. When you are behind the wheel you can't see them anyway.

I think the car looks better with blackwalls but that is just me.

Raunchy likes this.
  25. I'm a whitewall guy, Dave, but the outside pipes want the black walls.

26. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

Dirty----I like the car either way. It's been a WWW tired car for a long time. The car is also your "trademark"---It's you. I'd go with the WWW---IMHO Bill

Deuces likes this.
  27. Save the 5 hundy and get some BW!

clem likes this.
  28. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can remember seeing chunks of porta Walls laying in the street. Quite often where a car had scuffed them on the curb. Or seeing a car going down the street with a big chunk of one missing.

29. mountainman2

mountainman2

I vote BW.
    But my opinion is tainted. I have owned lots of cars, trucks, vans, and motorcycles over the last 6 decades but have NEVER run a WW tire longer than the time it took to drive newly purchased vehicle home. :cool:

30. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

in my world wide whites are best saved for stockers and customs and they look best with full hubcaps. I'd put blackwalls and American 5 spokes on that A if it were mine.