Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects tired of winter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by birdman1, Mar 1, 2019.

1. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

2. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Old Wolf, You old softy:D You pick those for the wife while out cuttin wood? We just call em March Lillies here, Ive had to pick a few in time;)

chryslerfan55, Old wolf and Deuces like this.
  3. Cobber

Cobber

Sorry to hear about the cold snap you guys are experiencing, I'm from west coast of Australia and it never snows in my area, I find it hard to comprehend the amount of snow you have to endure. My problem is at the other end of the scale, Its too damn hot. Had to pack up and head back into the house over the weekend when it got over 48 Deg C / 120 Deg F in my workshop.
    IMG_0364.JPG

4. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

Ever since I was a kid, I move every three years (Father in AF, I in the Army) and the worst place I found for winter was Offutt AFB near Bellevue, Nebr. My father had two 52 Nash's, one a hardtop and the other a convertible that he was working on. A snow day off from school meant that me and my brothers were be shoveling snow until mid afternoon.

Deuces likes this.
  5. My grandsons stay here more than at there home. And Me and them picked the flowers for Grandmaw Debbie.

Deuces and low budget like this.
  6. A long time ago a friend off my wifes was bitching about her husband fixing the chainsaw n the kitchen table. My wife stated I don't mind it a bit when Randall fixes his chain saw in the house. But when he starts that dam thing up inside I don't like that!

Deuces and raven like this.
  7. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

When I first met my wife she came up to my place in the mountains and said she thought the two chainsaws in the kitchen and the two four intake on the coffee table was an interesting decorator touch, later she drew the line at cleaning parts in the dishwasher.

Deuces and chryslerfan55 like this.
  8. When we moved to this corner my wife made a rule. No car parts in the house or vehicles in her fenced yard. Then Debbie went rummaging in the hoard mustang 009.JPG and got some AD GMC stuff and hung it in the utility room.

Deuces, chryslerfan55 and 61Cruiser like this.
  9. I just came back from a week of southern Florida, nice and warm every day from 75 to 88... but not a single hot rod was to be seen. Came back to clear skies and a nice 30, at least up here I get to see a few old cars. I'll be driving mine today.

61Cruiser and Deuces like this.
  10. This is just me. I grew up in the country. So I guess I'm not use to the city traffic. I love driving the Hot Rods. But the two things I try to avoid is city traffic and wet weather. Here in the Shenandoah valley it's easy to avoid both. There's snow on the trees and it's 33 degrees outside today. Tomorrow it's calling for it to be in the 70's. I plan on driving the Delivery to church. Here's a photo of today and, one I hope for tomorrow. Never pass up a day to drive. It could be your last chance. We're not promised tomorrow. So drive'em like it's your last! Ron.... 20190308_154545.jpeg 20180511_120728.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G920P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55, Deuces, AVater and 4 others like this.
  11. We have warmed up to 47 degrees with showers & thunder storms. HRP

Deuces, mad mikey and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  12. F&J

F&J

Wow, 70's ?....sounds like a dream. I'm pretty much "used up" at 67 physically and mentally, and if not for driving the hot rod, I'd be just sitting waiting for the grim reaper. Yesterday errands below, and I need to go out today again to get stuff before Sunday's ice & rain mess.
    DSCN2393.JPG

Below, State Trooper nailed a speeder. I don't speed at all, as I am in no rush to get anywhere when driving the hot rod.
    DSCN2397.JPG

blowby, chryslerfan55, Deuces and 5 others like this.
  13. birdman1

birdman1

rain today(march 9th), close to 40 degrees, predicting 54 degrees by the13th. i went to the shop yesterday, finished welding the L/ rear quarter panel on. i wanted a 1955 T-Bird since they came out, and this one is it.

14. 34fordjay

34fordjay
    from Mass USA

That was a real smart trick.

Deuces and mad mikey like this.
  15. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

"It's to cold" next thread will be "it's to hot". My gosh I come here not to hear that from my other half. :p

chryslerfan55, Deuces and 61Cruiser like this.
  16. Slopok

Slopok

How cold is it in your house to activate the thermostat???

Deuces and chryslerfan55 like this.
  17. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I'd say it's an interrupter wire (power from and back to thermostat) more than a thermostat (temp sensing) wiring. That would allow house stat to still be in full control.

Deuces likes this.
  18. Phil P

Phil P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The thermostat in the shop only controls the heat in the shop. I don't heat the shop when I'm not working. The wire to the house is in series with the tstat so I can turn the furnace off or on from the house with a switch. Phil

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
    Deuces and RAR1947 like this.
  19. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Now today it was 43 degrees and Wednesday is supposed to be almost 50. What temperature swings.

Deuces likes this.
  20. It was 58 yesterday on the Island, unfortunately I wasn't able to get the Ford out after work, I got in late and I was beat. 31 this morning but it should crack 50 again. Looking forward to working on the car in the driveway again. I only hope the weather holds, we have had some of the worst storms around Easter in the past.

Deuces, chryslerfan55 and mad mikey like this.
  21. j3harleys

j3harleys

70 degrees yesterday. Blizzard today.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    Deuces likes this.
  22. hallrods

hallrods

Isn't that a Zeppelin song?

23. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    Living in So Cal all of my life sounds boring, but with a couple of years in Northern California during college and being able to travel all around helps. For all of the terrible weather everyone has been getting in January and February, that should be it for now. The colder systems are sitting way up North and should give everyone one last run, soon. Then it is outside for all of the fun you have been planning while being stuck inside.

So Cal has its down times, too. But on the whole, those two months are usually grey and deadly, if you let the terrible conditions get to you. The constant rainy season is a surprise this year. (Cloudy, grey weather, constant rains, heavy fog in between.) We used to be down if the rains created a polluted flow out into the ocean…which it does, during and after the rains. The waves come in, but are not rideable, because of the polluted water. (despite Hepatitis A,B,C shots.) That is hard to take because, you cannot see that pollution. It comes from golf courses, city streets, and of course left overs from cars/trucks.

Jnaki

If your situation is stable, you like where you are, in life, health, and community, then there is hope to ward off those grey days that cause the blues. There is a guy we know that keeps harping on the fact that with all of the grey, overcast,, foggy, drizzling, then rainy days, he should have moved to Seattle and the Pacific Northwest years ago. We all chuckle at him and his phobias. If the weather is not allowing anyone to go outside, get something fun to do while you are inside.

This year, the costs are rising for us, as during these inclement weather days, my wife has home remodeling ideas running through her head. She finds me and breaks out her latest finds. It is a good thing that our house is small, but there are enough places to go to get away from someone for awhile and be still to do some important writing for the HAMB!

Take care and soon, the sun is just around the corner. Spring Break is coming fast for college folks and those anxious high school teenagers. (although any closed snow days for school will normally extend the school year into the summer months, trying to get that missing $$$$$) Remember those great times looking forward to a 10 day school vacation? We all love things like cruising, racing, surfing, hiking, coastal road trips, and just laying around to relax.

At least we are all still alive and functioning. We are listening to our relatives in the Midwest and friends in the East, comparing it to the terrible conditions Mother Nature has dealt the rest of the country. So Cal does not look too bad for us. Deal with it and “Be Happy !”

Note: We have put on hold, a massive sprinkler/drip system repair as it takes several days of dry weather to dig, cut, fix, glue, dry and test. We have yet to get to a series of dry days long enough to implement the project. It has been two months!... who needs those stinking sprinklers, anyway with all of this cold weather and off/on rain we have been getting. Saturdays were/are less happy as the Cars/Coffee and Donut Derelict events being cancelled due to rainy weather. No snow like 1949 for coastal So Cal, yet.
    upload_2019-3-14_4-21-48.png
    So, now, we are getting a week of clearing weather and maybe a slight chance of rain next week. After it hits us, then it travels inland to the Midwest, (where it joins another northern storm)and hits places, farther East. The West Coast usually gets the frontal attack. But for some reason, So Cal is far enough South that we get some rain, but it is the tail end of a curving front. The PNW gets the brunt of any winter storm.

"April showers, brings May flowers..."

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  24. Deuces

Deuces

25. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Now we had a couple inches more snow and 50mph wind. Then next week is to be in the 50s maybe60. Mother Nature is crazy this year

26. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

7C6280AD-6F0F-4CC2-8F8F-DF1DEF15832C.jpeg Quick update: on the last full weekend of winter and on St.Patrick’s day, had the good fortune to enjoy the sunshine, check out some green popping and enjoy a Dairy Queen treat with Mrs Avater

Shutter Speed, Deuces, blowby and 2 others like this.
  27. birdman1

birdman1

spring has sprung!! been working in my shop a few days now, with the doors open. finally seeing some good progress with the gas tank installed. I had to make new rear tank brackets, old ones rusted badly. (do not want gas tank dragging on the road) . going to take a few days to get my old body in shape again. kinda like the old T-Bird!!

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  28. Deuces

Deuces

Waiting for the weather to warm up so I can "break in" my new pony.... ;)

29. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

^^ hey let’s see it.

Deuces likes this.
  30. Deuces

Deuces

Sorry can't do that..... :(
    Rules are rules.... :(

AVater likes this.