Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Tired of homogenized hotrods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by onekoolkat1950, Dec 24, 2015.

1. Pete

Pete

Remember these.....coddingtons son owned this. Def unique image.png

2. Pat Lash's 235 powered A

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cosmo49, Inked Monkey, Sancho and 4 others like this.
  3. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

This one was deleted over the holidays... I undeleted it, but please keep in mind that the HAMB is focused on traditional hot rods and customs.

Sancho, Stogy, Squablow and 1 other person like this.
  4. There were certainly some things done back in the day that were different, some different to the point of being lame different. I think that in general with most of the rods posted we have proven one thing a rod can be traditional, and different at the same time and one does not have to build a space ship to make his mark. ;)

Woven in among some of the lame examples there are some really nice old rods on this thread. I am enjoying perusing.

Stogy, 62hotcat and brad2v like this.
  5. allenolga

allenolga

[​IMG]
    Photo copied from the guidelines page, loud flat paint, widened cowl, deep channel, steel wheels, 32 grill shell, white pleat interior.
    You say lack of chrome? what chrome did a model T have? and most early rodders could not afford chrome.
    4 bolt wheels?? what? is there a criteria for bolt pattern.
    A word about disc brakes, drums may stop your rod but you need to stop as fast as the ass in the Honda in front of you!
    I don't know what to call it, but don't call it street roddy. Them is fighting words, Allen

gimpyshotrods and volvobrynk like this.
  6. Pete

Pete

Oozes cool image.png

Stogy, 62hotcat, Sancho and 2 others like this.
  7. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

There is something about that car that really gets me every time I like it, and I can't tell you why.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1451327819.190601.jpg

pbr40, Stogy, y'sguy and 2 others like this.
  8. Pete

Pete

Jason sheets' roadster using a non ford grill....

He told me what it was but I forgot. image.jpeg

cball, Sancho, mike bowling and 3 others like this.
  9. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

These ain't that weird, but it ain't the average rod either.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1451328517.817884.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1451328591.811733.jpg

I never get the bare metal (jimmy shine look), but it proves that it's nice craftmanship in the body.

Stogy and Spoggie like this.
  10. Pete

Pete

Chevy roadster, certainly don't see many of those.

volvobrynk likes this.
  11. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Very seldom, one shows up every blue moon

As far as my detective work goes this one is now blue and belongs to a kiwi.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1451331104.831373.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1451331133.731050.jpg

There is another one here on The HAMB, nice stocker relived of fenders.
    And I know I'm a up to no good snoot nosed punks that didn't live in the fifties, but this is very possible and I'm willing to bet money that this also happened Back in the Day.
    By I still don't get why any one would fit transverse leave springs to an early Chevy. Because if you had a running stocker, a truck six and two extra carbs on the bench, I would cut the 181 cast iron wonder out, and droppe it when hot, and be driving before daylight. Not cutting the springs out and install ford parts on the frame.
    But time change, and you run what you got.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1451331614.035610.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1451331647.631852.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1451331693.594995.jpg

The main reason for posting old photos, nobody can claim it wasn't done BitD! Photos is a thousand words.

Attached Files:

Zerk, Spoggie, Max Gearhead and 2 others like this.
  12. This car is a great example of a Traditional build, Model A body, 32 Frame, & S.B.C.

Looks great but doesn't stand out.

Bob the rear fenders and put cycle fenders on the front and you have a car that really stands out!

IMG_0059.JPG

Taken @ The Jalopy Show Down in Penn. 2002

volvobrynk likes this.
  13. Clark Bates built (?) and owned by Larry Garland (?) at the time Model A Roadster Pick-Up with 37

Ford truck grill-

IMG_0025.JPG

Taken @ The Hot Rod & Rockabilly Rumble 2002

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
  14. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

Looks like Austin 7 to me

15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

16. mike bowling

mike bowling

Thankyou for opening this back up- I love cars with imagination that require delving into the unknown to build. No color by numbers OR inside the lines!
    Great pictures - "Stogy" is definitely on the right wavelength!!

volvobrynk and Stogy like this.
  17. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I Like This Post ... (i really DIG the traditional stuff to!!)
    My build Post is in the General Section...Don't wanna get busted for Non Traditional / Homogenized OT violations!
    20151213_133145 (Medium).jpg 20151213_133118 (Medium).jpg 20151213_143205 (Medium).jpg

18. 130430--Dream\'32-copy.jpg 130223---M-Cyclops\'36-copy.jpg 121109---ASportCoop-.jpg
    Please post shots of your Merc ute.

Stogy and Max Gearhead like this.
  19. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Stogy said:
    Please don't take this the wrong way but you want an honest opinion I would say modern almost street roddy post 65 look perhaps with a 80's 90's flavour. The tires, is that 4 bolt front wheels?, interior, disc brakes and as was mentioned the paint all pull it up the what era does this fit. You no doubt have lots invested in this car and like it as it is but it does lack in the vintage look. I always say look at the HAMB guidelines at page 1 of the Hokey Ass Message Board there are pictures...put your car against those is it remotely close? It seems to me quite clear.
    allenolga to begin with the car you are depicting here is not the car I critiqued. Secondly I did not mention chrome. Yes the car had discs, looked like late model seats, and several other details which rendered it not applicable to this thread. Save your knuckles. Regards, Stogy

volvobrynk likes this.
  20. I've got a set of those Woodlites if anyone is interested. No, they aren't originals. PM me.

Stogy likes this.
  21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Coupe_Gazebo.jpg
    It has similarities in a much dressed down way to a couple of period cars posted early in this thread. I am surprised he didn't go early on the engine as everything else from this angle could have been done back in the day. You know they had those mini cars back then...

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
    volvobrynk likes this.
  22. contspanko

contspanko

23. KFC

KFC
    from UK

[​IMG]

Here's mine it's the same but different

24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Where chrome shells available back then? They are a nice touch along with so many others you have incorporated. It all works...Neat car. Beautiful photograph as well.​

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  25. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

The chrome shell was pretty popular late 40's early 50's . Not many cars running them today. I think they look killer.

OLLIN, volvobrynk and Stogy like this.
  26. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I remember someone famous said once that Jerry Woodwards car was the ugliest AMBR winner of all time. Wasn't me, I aint famous, so don't throw rocks at me, but...

Sancho and Robert J. Palmer like this.
  27. KFC

KFC
    from UK

A few cars did it, early 50's show cars mainly and some of the European coachbuilt deuces had chrome shells. Mines actually hand formed aluminium

Stogy likes this.
  28. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I have no idea where mine stands now. I lost track of what people were into. It seems like there's a lot more love for wacky showcar themes. All I know is I made exactly what I wanted and loved.
    IMG_1469.JPG IMG_0736.JPG IMG_0692.JPG

29. Model A

Channeled

Nerf Bars

Cycle Fenders Front & Rear

Taken @ The Jalopy Show Down in Penn. 2002
    IMG_0067.JPG
    The same car from the rear

Taken @ The Hot Rod & Rockabilly Rumble 2002
    IMG_0058.JPG

Another old build

Tony Muscatella at time 34 Ford pick-up

Channeled with Fenders

@ The Jalopy Show Down in Penn. 2002
    IMG_0060.JPG

Stogy, whtbaron, AHotRod and 2 others like this.