Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Tired of homogenized hotrods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by onekoolkat1950, Dec 24, 2015.

1. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

13384-1218964709-ca5cd679247df60b0ec723ae84d193b6.jpg

:rolleyes:...The mighty Humpback aka @zibo...

Credit to Photographer, Owner

Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
    patmanta, Jim Bouchard and Six Ball like this.
  2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

30912_384907312911_3943051_n.jpg

:rolleyes:...Another Hambers Hotrod...Can't recall the Handle...another Flat Cad equipped...

OLLIN, Shadow Creek, cactus1 and 3 others like this.
  3. If I remember correctly, Isky talks about those tires in a interview. They are literally the tires that have been on it for it's entire life as a hot rod. Even though they have deteriorated beyond reasonable use, they've been with that car longer than most of us have been alive! So while it may look "ratty" you gotta realize that some things shouldn't be changed just because you can.

Six Ball, lurker mick and Stogy like this.
  4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What did he say? Was he romanticizing the fact they're the original 4...I did say to preserve them or auction them to raise money for a good cause...

Again it's not because you can it's what message are you conveying to those who visit...and again I was advocating using aged rubber perhaps the same brand if it could be sourced that fits the cars wear...not new...Age matched...just not deteriorated to that extent...

I don't polish my ride much at all...it looks driven and many would hang me for running WWs the way I do...I have never properly cleaned them, however IF they got to that extent of deterioration I would replace as most that hold their rides close to their hearts probably would...

We frequently talk about youth and Vintage Hotrod and again what would viewing this Hotrod in this state regardless of original or not convey to the masses, build it and drive it till the tires are rotten?...

I totally get there is a display with pics and history in its Heyday when things were more up to speed and here we have a iconic ride that actually minus the interior issue and the tires carries itself rather well...and to that end Ed may just be a why would you do that kind of Hotrodder...I know as an example Dean Lowe for instance would probably think differently with regards to how his ride would be presented in a Museum...I do know his Pickup is held passionately close to the heart by its present owner but it is hard for him to see it as it is knowing how he looked after it.

I'm just saying if it were my Hotrod and I was in Ed's place I would say change the tires with a presentable set of Bias Plys, definately NOT Angel White and invisibly repair the seat and give a good overall cleanup and call it done BUT not overdone but Stogy approved...

Ed should have that right without pressure...

@Hitchhiker I would like to see that video...and thanks for voicing your thoughts...but also understand I have great respect for preservation of Hotrod/Custom and the celebration of the Men and Women that built and piloted them...

Sorry long winded...:oops:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
  5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A-Rebuilt-Jalopy-on-Pine-Street-1939-e1446659271831.jpg

https://philadelphiaencyclopedia.org/archive/automobiles/

:rolleyes:...priceless and I have to say I'd be a little pissed to come out and see myself boxed in by buttheads...:rolleyes:...some things never change eh!...me thinks they may have regretted it...:D

Quoted...

This “jalopy,” an old car in poor condition, was parked on Pine Street in the late 1930s. (Library of Congress)

Jet96 likes this.
  6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
    BigRRR, chevyfordman, 1pickup and 2 others like this.
  7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

cactus1, Jet96, lurker mick and 2 others like this.
  8. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oil filter?

Stogy likes this.
  9. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rod1, is right; it’s the original Hemi oil filter chromed.

Stogy and lurker mick like this.
  10. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Stogy likes this.
  11. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

If the car is ever driven again they will use new tires. Historically the display is what it should be. If they want a new shiny one they can build a clone. Very few of these historic hot rods have survived in original form. I really like the resurrection of the Spurgin-Giovanni roadster but it is largely not the original car. It did not survive in any of it's several original forms so it had to be "restored" and as always concessions were made. Once they start on Iskey's where would it stop? I bet there are other worn pieces and what about the wiring? The electronic dinosaur shows are fun to watch but the fossils are the real stuff. :rolleyes:

Stogy and lurker mick like this.
  12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

13. Ray Brown!

Tim, Jet96, rotten ron and 2 others like this.
  14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
    OLLIN, chevyfordman, 63fdsnr and 6 others like this.
  15. Stogy likes this.
  16. From the way his items for sale are displayed he obviously doesn't care about them, But I'll bet he wants top dollar for them.

Stogy likes this.
  17. Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
    Stogy and rotten ron like this.
  18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

To me, proof that conversions can be a very credible modification and well worth the effort...

19. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm still trying to find the Hybrid Hotrod/Custom that I shared here not to long ago that it reminds me of...A Hamber shared it in a Thread recently...it was his Fathers I believe...swap meets have a tendency to have less than tender care for the has beens or never got theres...

D25188B2-F1A5-4EE8-A6E2-C250F114A0E6.jpeg

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...enized-hotrods.1002926/page-184#post-13942149

:rolleyes:...Nope...;)

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
  20. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

townsend-family-hot-rods-9.jpg

https://www.whichcar.com.au/features/townsend-family-hot-rods

:rolleyes:...this had a pretty slick look about it...

I envision it sounding like a vintage aircraft...

Looks to be across the pond or perhaps down under...AU I think as the article albiet lengthy really skirts the actual location...:oops:

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
  21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

20210717_203026.jpg

LR Rod DSC_0348.jpg

LR Rod DSC_0356.jpg

LR Rod DSC_0350.jpg

LR Rod DSC_0353.jpg

https://www.hotrodhotline.com/digging-dough#.YPNzczNE0wB

:rolleyes:...Lil' Dough of Late 50s, Early 60s vintage takin' a walk on the wild side AND still around with a heavy restoration after 50 years...it's seems to have had a coil front suspension added at some time perhaps in the early to mid 60s...as that was evolving at the time...along with the other Showrod details...

aeb83ef22b876a5d1a31e1e66805d90d.jpg

Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
  22. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

patmanta, 63fdsnr, Tim and 9 others like this.
  23. Gofannon

Gofannon

I'll update pics when I can. Done the worst of the body. Need to do doors, deck lid, cut-outs for rear axle, then onto aluminium nose and hood. Block should be bored to 3 7/8" this week, but not honed as I need to order Ross pistons. Most of chassis is worked out but I'll have to strip it down again for final welding. A lot to do.

24. Gofannon

Gofannon

Just finished the intake for the GMC. Will run tripower 2Gs with adaptors.
    upload_2021-7-19_19-48-17.png

Attached Files:

25. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Are 2Gs progressive? Have you thought about how Harper set up Strombergs to make the barrels separate and progressive? Probably not as good for racing as street.

Stogy likes this.
  26. Albert Drake

Albert Drake

If anyone is interested in books about hot rods or nostalgia...
    lots of photos for those that don't read ;-)
    https://flatoutpress.blogspot.com/

Stogy likes this.
  27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great to cross paths Hamber...I appreciate what you've shared with us...the Wave of what is Hotrod for many...

Any Flat Out Hotrods in your day Albert with such a connection to Hotrod...are we ever to old...

I hope you and all are safe from the terrible fires torching the landscape and anything in its path...

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
  28. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5377a0512d691c7e96370e4ec0b6c113.jpg

:rolleyes:...Does this fit this Thread? Absolutely, sort of a glue for Hotrod/Custom...or is it not glue but Part of a very Influential Movement

RIP Ed...

29. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
    Jim Bouchard, Six Ball and GuyW like this.