Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Tired of homogenized hotrods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by onekoolkat1950, Dec 24, 2015.

1. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm not for overrestoring but it's a tire...they might not repro that particular brand but Firestone Champions would fill the bill...they could auction the oldies off for charity as garage art...I would like to know Ed's thoughts on these details...in a museum I don't feel it represents its street presence in its heyday...but actually presents it as a ratty old car...presentable tires and an invisible interior repair would give it a more true to life presence...

Last edited: Jul 6, 2021
  2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

8eed34d107bb09375643e5802816a975.jpg

:rolleyes:...Period Correct is actually pretty rare these days...I think this A captures a past time in Hotrod in a stunning manner Deuce grill included.

What would you peg it's period

I'm going to say 1958...I just noticed albeit grainy in zoom...a Supercharger helping pump the ponies out of the Flatty...

The only thing missing is 4 Hoodlums sitting on the running board...:D

Credit to Photographer, Owner

Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
    BigRRR, clem, Shadow Creek and 9 others like this.
  3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

a217dc7f96e94347d4e13e544dd2a170.jpg

:rolleyes:...These are pretty popular these days often referred to as Rudy Trucks, this one works for me...not all are alike...this looks to be running the Auburn Radial Bias knockoffs which along with a few other brands they have finally Finally started to get a credible feel for what used to be...thank the Vintage Hotrod Gods for that...:)

4. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I like it just as it as, what it has become with the pieces Isky put together. It is complete with lots of pictures to show it's history and glory. Sort of like stock Isky and cars are only stock once. Every change or update "restoration" moves it away from Isky unless he himself does it and maybe then too.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2021
    Jim Bouchard, Stogy and lurker mick like this.
  5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Many ways to look at it I suppose...a tire and and carefully executed upholstery repair is hardly a robbing of what the car represented...he must have been asked...wonder what his response was...it hasn't deteriorated even close to what the Kookie T or Golden Sahara had.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
    Jim Bouchard and brady1929 like this.
  6. A Boner

A Boner

Rudy’s the man!
    EFCFD8A3-C1CB-4EA3-8EA4-4659083EB951.png
    Just follow these proportions. (Maybe an inch or two less channel for safe scrub line)
    85865CD3-09D3-49D1-B461-39F756FBA31F.png

7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

VintagePhoto3-vi.jpg

:rolleyes:...Old and grainy but can't hide the classy Hotrod before our eyes...

Jet96, Jim Bouchard, hfh and 4 others like this.
  8. Magfiend

Magfiend

As much as the "Rudy" style trucks were popular in the last 10 to 15 years or so, the scrub line issue is a big one NOT to emulate. Also, the grille and rad are too high (or, actually, the body is too radically angle-channeled at the cowl) - follow the body bead line and you can see it will strike the grille very low...

Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
    GuyW and Six Ball like this.
  9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When it comes to Hotrods they were built however their owners chose to...run whatcha' got...

This Thread is really a celebration of all Hotrods especially those argued as Non Traditional or Non Worthy for any number of reasons aka grilles to high or low, wierd period engines, wide, drawer pulled, Chopped to much or little, one of a kind, grills wrong year, slanted too much, not shiny enough, flamed, ugly and on and on...but in fact sat alongside, cruised with, even raced against the ever revered Traditional Hotrods as defined by years of heckling what is right...

Rudy has done the Hotrod walk and furthermore created an inspired Hotrod and actually the percieved flawed details are some of the most Traditional features on this Truck...

By the way, they built that truck as a Hotrod with no hood, radical clearances and I'm sure considered all the things you consider issues...so I guess it doesn't float the boat...I wouldn't change a thing...

Floyd Schmitz 1957 A-XL.jpg

ecorse drags 11-53 danny coughlin -X2.jpg

nelson A-v8 copy-XL.jpg

nelsonroadster lakes 2 copy-X2.jpg

:rolleyes:...Here's 4 others that can't get it right...Oh well I guess it was just a flawed movement at the end of the day...Thankfully.

I'm glad there is a Thread devoted to the Near Traditionals including All the Others...as in a mix...it never gets Homogenized or is it Homogeneous...:)

Too bad some of the analysts here weren't there to steer them right...they did not know...:oops:

The mix of Hotrods above were captured by an incredible Photographer/Hotrodder...they may be all that's left of the Honesty of these rides pictured, perhaps long gone or resold having had the new owners cut off the ugly and make them right...

This mans camera work is iconic and he captured Hotrods in all stages of perfection from polished to flawed...if it wasn't for Artists like this there would be less visual proof of just what constituted a Hotrod back in the day...beyond the Mags was the Real Scene...

Credit to Photographer Robert Genat

Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
    OLLIN, Shadow Creek, Jet96 and 8 others like this.
  10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've always thought this was a pretty cool Hotrod...Rudy is a Force and a Visual Artist in Cool Things...I wouldn't change anything but the seat position to suit me...;)

brEad and brady1929 like this.
  11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

lakes36-XL.jpg

:rolleyes:...The Good Ole Days...dirt in your nose with the smell of fuel, rubber, and sun stinging uncovered balding heads...:confused:...Wait!! That would be us...:p...those were young whippersnappers!!...;)

I've never been but maximum sunscreen must be a wise choice...and wear a Hat!

Really Cool GowJob aka Hotrod whatever it is...almost looks like a fwd cockpit and Engine from the sky running the Earth on Tires...

Love to see that at the Cruise...

OLLIN, Jet96, Jim Bouchard and 4 others like this.
  12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IMG_5270.JPG

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1931-ford-3w-build-marilyn.1039982/page-10

:rolleyes:...I have a Story on how this shot may have come about @DylanHill1931...Awesome job you did, nice interior choice...I envision a possible Shiny future to this land slider...it would wear it well...Cherry Red...;)

You have met a new friend Eli...and he aquired an old Hotrod several years back that started out as young mans dream of Hotrod...

There's a vintage pic of that Hotrod that reminds me of this shot you took...Do you know that story? It's in this Thread a ways back...

20210708_033822.jpg

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...genized-hotrods.1002926/page-85#post-12835396

Buddy Hinman...

Rock On Hotrodder...;)

DylanHill1931, Jet96, hfh and 5 others like this.
  13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5-25-XL.jpg

The Bob Weinberg Roadster

:rolleyes:...This Stunner has been a subject of comparison by inspiration recently and here it is ready to do Battle...what a beautiful unique go fast beast...Indy meets Hotrod...

I believe this is the camera work of Robert Genat

14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

osborn1-L.jpg

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...genized-hotrods.1002926/page-35#post-11868613

:rolleyes:...Hotrodders came from all walks...this was one of the more finessed offerings with a Indy Caliber look in a Hotrod...

Chester Osgood's Hotrod entered the scene in the 40s and was active till around 1958 or so...the Metalwork the Art of Whitey Clayton...genius

It's a survivor of that golden age to boot...
    Not it's first appearance in this Thread by any means as it is a spot on Candidate...

15. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I am old enough to remember when state legislatures all over this country were trying to "outlaw" hot rods because of safety issues. In many cases it was not without merit. As a kid my big brother took me to a NHRA meeting on the "Safety Tour" in Amarillo where Wally Parks and Dale Hamb hammered home the importance of safety. Near the top of the list was "scrub line". The best suspension, brakes and steering don't do much if you blow a tire, break an axle and lose a wheel and are skidding at speed on body and chassis parts that don't stop or steer. Yes, part of the tradition may be in dying in poorly constructed pieces of crap but that does not excuse the building of well constructed pieces of crap. I have no knowledge of this builder or the car but if it is not bagged it is unsafe any speed. Part of the tradition is to be as safe as you can given how crazy you are! :rolleyes: :D

Magfiend, GuyW and Stogy like this.
  16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

To be very pointed with the Coulahali...it is near a Showrod but it does GO and surely has to be babied around obstacles that most normal vehicles navigate with ease...I suspect any sparks flying would have been just accepted as the soul that comes with the territory...like the running board edges wearing off on the old 57 Panhead that could corner more than it's parts would allow...

You may be right it might be bagged...don't know much about its chassis details...actually most fellas who build similar inspirations do take the scrub into consideration...why?...because they want to increase the ability to have a scrape free ride and in effect gaining some safety at the same time...again this
    this was a true adventure in an inspired look...not a Traditional one

I remember the mechanic that certified my Hotrod...He said no matter what you do to these old cars they are unsafe for so many reasons...

echo ed and chevyfordman like this.
  17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

20210708_182427.jpg

Hamber @SUHRsc's Ode to the Vintage Past...nice work Hotrodder...

18. rotten ron

rotten ron
    BANNED

How could you not like this one.

Six Ball and Stogy like this.
  19. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Top secret NASA Model...'The Bullet'

Six Ball likes this.
  20. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I've seen this one before. That is some stunning sheetmetal work!

Stogy likes this.
  21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

85237518_3241106932620733_3936025862482165760_n.jpg

:rolleyes:...Dare to be different...;)

You may get the Checkered Flag...:)

22. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

29573149_1852138141517626_8427478841937392442_n.jpg

:rolleyes:...Surfs Up!!

A Hamber shared a offbeat Hotrod a while back that was pretty polished but I'm wondering if this may have been the leftovers years later...can't recall if it was a Phaeton/pickup or a trunked Car style

Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
    Six Ball, Jim Bouchard and rotten ron like this.
  23. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

22886333_1673043832760392_6556402431228803070_n.jpg

:rolleyes:...Tom Cobbs by chance?

Jet96, 2935ford, Six Ball and 3 others like this.
  24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bob-weinberg-roadster-1952.jpg

https://kustomrama.com/wiki/The_Bob_Weinberg_Roadster?hcb=1

:rolleyes:...It even saw street duty...that would have unscrewed a few heads...

Jim Bouchard, Jet96, Six Ball and 2 others like this.
  25. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

unnamed.png

:rolleyes:...33 Hotrod...Fast 1st, everything else 2nd...

26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

cox_35mmstrips_set_30018-XL.jpg

:rolleyes:...What I wouldn't give for a run whatcha brung Lapfest at a Local Track

Pretty darn cool mix of Rods without question here...

27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

20210710_012451.jpg

https://mooregoodink.com/a-life-lived-one-quarter-mile-at-a-time/?hcb=1

:rolleyes:...this would be Bob Ida's Hotrod/Drag Coupe, 409 powered putting this image around 1961+

The 409 was swapped out for a Hemi and a wheel stand ended the Coupes Career in racing...:oops:

This reminds me of Racer x's Coupe with it's grille absent LOTs of Attitude...and many times a rad was the only Grille to be found up front as perhaps it was at the Chrome Jail...or not...;)

Last edited: Jul 12, 2021
  28. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

2019-04-28 13.57.09.jpg

i282037939703795652._szw1280h1280_.jpg

:rolleyes:...More across the pond Excellence...2 posts that's it...:oops:

Happy Birthday anyways @Conny Högberg...hope we see you back

Slick34, AHotRod, patmanta and 3 others like this.
  29. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OLLIN, alfin32, Shadow Creek and 5 others like this.
  30. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Adjustments.JPG.jpg

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/av8-roadster-progress-video.1234982/#post-14122482

:rolleyes:...Hamber @13clicks Hotrod Zazzled and undergoing some upgrades...especially under the hood...:confused:...well you know what I mean...:D...AV8 and a real nice one at that...

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/wwi-dazzle.1189648/

:rolleyes:...I just snooped up the Thread on Camouflage that did find it's way onto vintage Roaring Roadsters or racers and no doubt even the odd Hotrod...I mistakenly referenced it as Zazzle when it's actually called Dazzle...:)

I guess that saying Bobby Dazzler may came about in reaction to these in your face paint schemes...

Jim Bouchard likes this.