Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Tired of homogenized hotrods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by onekoolkat1950, Dec 24, 2015.

1. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Sorry, I have nothing to add. I found that set of three pictures online in 2009, possibly here on the HAMB, and I don't recall that they had any story accompanying them. I love that primitive fastback/boattail body, though; might have been inspired by Oldfield's Golden Submarine.

Stogy likes this.
  2. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Stogy likes this.
  3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

These old pics definitely have many things going on that provoke thoughts some good and some bad. They tug at the heart sometimes...We live in very different times in so many ways.

4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll see what I can find...those two do have distinct similarities...I really enjoy seeking out these blasts from the past. Thanks 50.

5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Early Econo Hotrod

front_z.jpg

Aero_t.jpg

50 this is a pretty cool little bit of ingenuity...I found the story (did a few www circles doing it). Low and behold HAMBed already very thoroughly by Mart3406. So time to rebirth that info...built by a Canucker too. Seems to be no connection to the Studebaker project but they may have known about one another. News back then traveled quite differently but it did get around no doubt.

So link is here enjoy...
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/amazing-1930s-home-built-aero-bodied-model-t.504960/

http://www.treehugger.com/cars/wayback-machine-1933-aeromodding-a-model-t.html

Credit to Owners/Photographers

6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
    Jet96 and Max Gearhead like this.
  7. Suthunman

Suthunman

Excellent post! Not all of us have the knowledge, skills or tools some here have. All my life I enjoyed going to car shows and looking at the creations of others. But, there was never enough time or money for me to build my own car.
    After recently retiring, I felt the time was right for me to have my own car and set out to find one. I feel like I was fortunate to find the car I found. It was another man's dream as well that he didn't live to see it complete. But his wife, daughter and grandson told me of the 17 years of pleasure tinkering with it had brought him.
    I have very much enjoyed continuing what he had started. Some of the things he had done wouldn't be accepted well here. But, being new to car building, I didn't know the difference and didn't care, still don't! I love working on and driving my car. To me, that's what it's all about.
    My point is that I simply don't understand the division amongst car guys about what they build. Why does it matter to some what others have built and enjoy? I can admire a traditional hot rod, street rod, custom and even an occasional rat rod. They are all capable of putting a smile on my face at times. I'm personally glad I'm not so caught up in something that I can't enjoy the efforts of others because it isn't MY style.

8. 31pickemup

31pickemup

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
    UNSHINED 2, Paul B, brad2v and 4 others like this.
  9. To your point I don't think anyone thinks you or anyone should ever build anything but what they like. that's very Important. I have a 68 vette that I've owned since high school in 1970 I love that car. But it doesn't belong here. I really like the pre 65 style of RODS That why I'm here. I can go to a vette site if I'm interested in that. T hanks!!! W e are here for the FUN and jokes, its traditional... I think we understand that there's a need to have rules to follow But if it has wheels I like it. but this would not be the place for toon ers donkie donks or rats and bugs lol

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
    bowie likes this.
  10. white64

white64
    from Maine

017.JPG my chopped '31 next to an original (...it seems like every time I park next to a stocker I get the stink eye! o_O)

11. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

I need to get me one of those "tank crossing" signs....

Stogy likes this.
  12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What I love about some of these pics is your not sure if its now or then...and when you achieve that you've got the theme of the HAMB spot on...;) me thinks the shadows are a clue. Anyone know. I found that pic snooping the web images and it just needed to be shared...

13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Original Post...Quoted below
    This is my take on this situation...This thread is themed on traditional and traditionally inspired hotrods and customs that are somewhat a little different than the more equally awesome traditional and traditionally inspired "Some cars had bobbed fenders , weird noses , plain ugly stuff" 1965 and down or 1965 and down reproduction and 1965 or older style modification.

As it was mentioned many things you have discussed have no relevance to this thread or the HAMB.
    "Some of the things he had done wouldn't be accepted well here. But, being new to car building, I didn't know the difference and didn't care, still don't!"

Well enjoy the HAMB and if things are Off Topic keep them off thank you. The rules of engagement here are quite clear at the HAMB.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/the-h-a-m-b-rules-guidelines.44274/

There are things here in this thread that push the envelope and I am not sure whether the posters are even aware of this fact but again not my call. For the most part it is a very interesting thread amoungst so many other outstanding additional threads and I do care...

The Moderators will deem what is relevant for posting here and I appreciate their diligent work on keeping the theme alive and orderly...If they have too.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
    Jet96, UNSHINED 2, 63fdsnr and 3 others like this.
  15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I'd like to see more of this car...
    [​IMG]

UNSHINED 2, volvobrynk and bowie like this.
  16. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

^^You and me both^^

17. Falcon H

Falcon H
    from Waco Texas

Could you make a build thread for this? I would love to see what happens.

18. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

View attachment 3146295

Credit to Owners/Photographers[/QUOTE]

I'm sure most know the history on this car, but for those that don't; can you spot the one big modification that this car is known for.
    It may be the same car, but over the years I recall seeing a car in the rod rags in a different color and I remember saying WTF is odd about this car.

Stogy likes this.
  19. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

Pete & Jake's '34 with a cut down '36 truck grille
    PICT0059.jpg

brad2v and Stogy like this.
  20. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

21. I'm sure most know the history on this car, but for those that don't; can you spot the one big modification that this car is known for.
    It may be the same car, but over the years I recall seeing a car in the rod rags in a different color and I remember saying WTF is odd about this car.
    [/QUOTE]
    Three 5 windows where done with this chop/section. One of them is a yellow street rod in Northern CA., one was destroyed in a fire, and the third one I don't know any history about it, but believe it still survives in a more HAMB friendly style, and might be Maroon. I saw one of them in person many times in the 70's and 80's at the Nor Ca. rod runs including the Lodi grape festival run. HEMI32, and Rod and Custom Ron went to the same rod runs in Lodi that I went to, and I'm sure they remember the cars.

volvobrynk and Stogy like this.
  22. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Donuts.jpg
    Sorry Man I became unglued...:D Falcon this is HAMBer Marshall Metal Shapings hotrod and yes its a nice one.
    Check out his threads some links to many pic details etc...
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/model-a-sportcoupe-to-5-window-conversion.246572/
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/a-sport-coupe-to-coupe-convertion-update.385084/
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/more-stichin-in-my-a.652995/
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/overdue-update.588814/

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
  23. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Thanks Stogy, I will take a look at that. Man, I think I need a desoto grill shell!

24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm sure most know the history on this car, but for those that don't; can you spot the one big modification that this car is known for.

[/QUOTE]

I must give credit to the members here so many posts with awesome details and pics many new to me which can only mean I don't get out much but better late than never. The thread by R&C RON below featured this coupe owned by Mervyn-Toynton with some info and many other beauties...
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/oakland-hot-rods-2-1955.600446/
    http://www.kustomrama.com/index.php?title=Mervyn_Toynton's_1932_Ford
    One other observation it is amazing how many awesome rides you can only find one pic of... like this Toynton coupe reading. Guys and gals takes some pics of your hotrods and customs so we can marvel over them forever :confused: well for a good long while anyways. Seriously reading about this coupe makes you want to see more but one pic...dang.​

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
  25. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Falcon there a quite a few Desoto Grills on hotrods in this thread but if your talking Marshall's car I think he modded a 37 truck grill. Now you got me thinkin again.

26. verde742

verde742

[/QUOTE]
    I heard there were 3 of them built this way, not very pleasing to me, in person. Sectioned from back of top forward, who would think to do that? The back window is short, looks like PLYMOUTH at a 3/4 rear view.. I don't like it, BTJM

27. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Could be, but its been modded a lot. Took a look at his photobucket man that car is nice. A Canuck too!

Stogy likes this.
  28. verde742

verde742

Where does a dummy like me see more pictures of it?