Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tire/tube Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by droplord49, Sep 24, 2009.

1. droplord49

droplord49
    from Bryan, Tx

Just picked up some good used 700x15 Firestones on the cheap and need to get some tubes for them. I know I can order the tubes from Coker, Universal Tire, Etc, but I have a Northern Tool a block away and they carry tubes for trailer tires. I assume a tube is a tube(as long as it's the correct size), but have never delt with them so I'm not really sure. Here is a link to their 15'' tube:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200365407_200365407

Would these be safe to run in my tires or should I just order the correct ones from coker. Thanks

2. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

3. budd

budd

there are tubes for radial tires and biasply tires, radial tubes cost more.

4. droplord49

droplord49
    from Bryan, Tx

Actually these are cheaper then the Bias tubes from Coker and I don't have to have them shipped. I have heard that you can run a radial tube in a bias tire, but not a bias tube in a radial tire, so I figured these would be ok.

5. I needed tubes for 4 600x16s so I just called the local tire store and he got 4 the next day for $5.00 a piece. Try your local tire store before you go to Coker and pay a lot more for the same product.

6. Roupe

Roupe

Check your local farm stores, they carry lots of tubes cheap.

7. budd

budd

we used to run radial tubes in bias tires, and i have run bias tubes in radials, if your looking to keep this car and tire setup buy brad name tubes, there only a couple of dollars more i'm sure, any tire store should have tubes.

8. Trucked Up

Trucked Up

Keep in mind that the tube you posted is quite a bit smaller than the 700x15 tire.

On the personal side of things I would run the radial tubes in a must situation.

On the business side of things, been in the tire business since '80, and my father started in '59, I would only put in a tube specific for the 700x15...

We can all thank our lawyers for this. Blow a tube out and hit someone and you will wish you had put the 700x15's in.

If you can't find any PM me and I will help you out. I'm primarily in the Mining Tire side of tires but can help you if needed.

9. Listen to the man.

10. droplord49

droplord49
    from Bryan, Tx

Thanks guys, I'll call some tire shops and see if I can get some tubes specifically for the 700's.

11. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Most tubes fit more than one size,will be marked on the tube. Radial tubes fit either type of tire,don't use bias tubes in radials.

12. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

At one point Northern had a listing for new wheels with tubes and tires that were already flat. What does that tell you? We put it in plastic and used it to show folks why we don't use pneumatic tires on our kayak carts. Sure wouldn't want that Chinese junk on my hotrod.

13. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

JohnEvans knows what he's talking about.........

14. gas pumper

gas pumper

And IF you have a choice, avoid China tubes. We have had NO luck with China truck tubes. Dry rot and cracking in a year.

15. Jess H

Jess H

I wouldn’t usually post in a thread like this but using the wrong tube could cause harm to your vehicle or worse the passengers in it and I feel very strong about this issue.

First, I would always recommend new tubes anytime you buy new tires. Most of our bias tubes are $13.95 each and I would not risk ruining a tire or damage to a car or person over $13.95 a tire.
    Second, you can use a radial tube in a bias ply tire, but do NOT use a bias tube in a radial tire.
    Third, please be sure that you never use a farm implement tube in a passenger vehicle tire. I just don’t trust they are designed for those speeds and heat build up.

Thanks,

Jess

Jess Hoodenpyle
    Vice President - Sales and Customer Service
    Coker Tire Company
    1317 Chestnut Street
    Chattanooga, TN 37402
    Ph: 1-800-251-6336

16. 1937 Eric

1937 Eric

Does anyone know if you can run the Coker Tube type radial tires without a tube? whats the difference in the tire ?
    I'm also looking for a good source of tubes for my 6.00 16 wide white radial tires. Seems to me there are some "inferior imported" tubes out there.