Register now to get rid of these ads!

tire tube question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by trey, Oct 14, 2003.

1. trey

trey

i bought some tubes for my tires today, and i gotta question about them. the guy sold me some to fit 700-750 tires, but mine are 650. he said it works fine, and they do it all the time. does this sound right to you guys, or is this all wrong? i only paid 10 bucks for them, which isnt bad, but the valve stems are super long.

trey

2. With 30 years in the tire business, maybe I can help. It sounds as though you have a light truck (LT) tube. The 700/750 size is LT as well as the long stem. The stem is made this way for dual rears, so you can check the inside tire's air pressure. The stem extends out to the hand hole of the outside wheel. On top of that, they will probably wrinkle and crease when inflated from the oversize. Prone to fail. Take them back, and see if you can find a KR-16. It's a combo tube for several sizes and also a radial tube with better splices and and thicker stem base. It will also have the short stem. Also, depending on your wheels, you will want to run a flap to prevent the tube from chafing on the inside of the rim which will cause it to fail. Remember, it's the tube holding the air, not the tire as with a tubeless.

3. Crestliner

Crestliner

Either the guy doesn't know what he's talking about or he's trying to slip one in yea. They won't last wrinked up inside and who wants a long ass stem sticking out ( I mean valve stem) [​IMG] [​IMG]
    How was the wheel?

4. trey

trey

man, thats what i was afraid of. its got the long ass stem too. ill call them tomorrow and see what i can do.

crestliner: sorry i forgot to pm you back. i had every intended to do it, but ive been busy i guess? anyway, its great, better shape than the one i have. i really appreciate it. now im trying to find a way to run the same wheel on the back.

trey