Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Tire truing or shaving?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by modified, Aug 27, 2018.

1. I assume you and/or anyone else claiming this being a tire problem have first made sure all the wheels are round and true.

"modified", I still fail to comprehend your reasoning, but I guess it's because I've never had much interest in gambling, especially with anything potentially affecting my health, safety or life nor enough money to throw good after bad, especially if the outset already is not very promising, i.e. allegedly poor quality tires that are already several years past their "best before"/"safe-to-use" date.

I must admit I'm now little curious if this "shaving" approach, by itself, actually cures the problem, but I just can't see those chassis "features" being very accommodating for expected highway speeds in the modern world no matter what kind of tires/wheels they are attached to.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
    modified likes this.
  2. modified

modified

Yea, I saw that video!

Sent from my SM-N900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. modified

modified

Well the chassis "features" aren't going to change because I am not going to re-build the car but I'll let you know how the tire shaving goes. And if not so well, then I'll have to buy new tires!
    Coker quoted me $805.73 on Firestone Deluxe Champion and $1207.73 on Excelsior's, shipped.

46international and Stogy like this.
  4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I saw it too (no pun intended...:D) as well...I'm pretty sure your tire mechanic you are going to see operates to a different tune. The one shaving video I posted showed the Tire Tech using profile templates to determine how to set the shaver.

Lots of radial push however the only company that makes these Bias Plys we love has had way more positives than negatives with these classics pumped out thru vintage molds.

DOT # is a more modern radial phenomenon of which these tires being discussed are Bias Plys. Age and condition surely matters but how it is applied to a Bias Ply is not been verified.

Quoted from Coker Warranty...

"We want you to be pleased with your purchase! Our tires are guaranteed to be free from defects in workmanship and materials for the life of the tread." there is no mention of time frame...

46international and modified like this.
  5. rustythumb

rustythumb

what's the air pressure like?

6. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

Sent from my SM-N900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app[/QUOTE]
    Generally speaking tires are trued/shaved with out weights.
    They may or may not require weights after truing/shaving.
    Tires can be trued/shaved whether old or new.
    Bias ply and radials may need truing /shaving. Old mister "out- O- round" does not discriminate.
    Some bias ply and some radials come out of the mold round and some don't regardless of manufacturer or size.

modified and Stogy like this.
  7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would suspect at a minimum if the tire was weighted beforehand after shave the dynamics have been changed as material which equates to weight has been removed so if weights are required still it would be a different weight and perhaps a different location. Also some imbalance in tires my come from internal non visual imperfections as in slightly thicker walls overlaps in layering etc. These are just thinking out loud as I have a mechanical sense but no experience in tire making and structure.

modified likes this.
  8. modified

modified

My wheels have the stick - on weights and I was thinking of removing them and cleaning off the adhesive residue before taking the car over for shaving.
    I would think that the shaving would make the existing weights worthless?
    What do you think? 1535467800273.jpeg

Stogy likes this.
  9. Remove them. The wheels will require rebalancing after they have been shaved.
    Bob

john worden, Stogy and modified like this.
  10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do they leave residue upon removal? Perhaps give the fella a call and get his opinion as he may do a spin balance beforehand anyway. I know you have visions of screwdriver removal on the nicely painted set of wheels and I get it. So with that vision perhaps removal beforehand saves any crude removal grief.

I have a set of 35 ford spokes and never noticed the fill valve on the inside are they all like that?

modified likes this.
  11. modified

modified

I was wondering when someone would discover the valve stem! I guess whoever widened the rears didn't want to mess up their work on the outside and drilled the inside for stems. It's a pain in the ass to fill and some guages won't fit!
    And yes I would like to save the paint!

Stogy likes this.
  12. modified

modified

That's what I thought!

Stogy likes this.
  13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A clean canvas makes sense...

modified likes this.
  14. A Boner

A Boner

Talked to a Coker rep at Louisville this year. He said with new Coker tires, if they are shaved it voids the warranty......if bad, call them and send them back for replacement.
    *********************************************************************************************************
    Have bouncing tires balanced with the newest version balance machines....." Match Force Balancing".
    Match force checks the out of round of the wheels and the out of round of the tires, and then offsets the difference. He said Road Force Balancing is for modern (wide) tires and doesn't work for the skinny Coker tires! He said Coker tires balance out better with non perfect steel wheels......and new aluminum precisely machined wheels don't work out as well with Coker Tires!
    All bias ply tires flat spot after sitting.....after a few miles the flat spots sort of go away.
    Tires that are 10 years old might take a more permanent flat spot set.....I don't know for sure.
    *****************************************************************************************
    It's hard to believe that in 2018, any money spent on re-engineering the Firestone bias ply tires couldn't be recouped with all the sales to EVERYONE who is holding back.....but would purchase a set or two if the tires were greatly improved.
    Lots of hot rods are running around with Excelsior or the even uglier radial tires.......not because they think they look better than the Firestones!

Stogy, modified and lurker mick like this.
  15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Again the Catch 22 @a boner is for so many of us is we are 2nd, 3rd maybe 4th generation owner of these rides...if I call Coker they will in essence tell me sorry sir you need a bill despite the fact we all know where they came from and that is understandable. Its funny that they would be so anti shave as its a missing link today to the industry it was. A lot of of rides don't log massive amounts of miles as they are specialty not daily drivers. I'm lucky to log 5000 miles a year...max

16. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Shaving will make the tire round to the rotating center it is mounted on at the time it is shaved, not balanced. Does the tire have run out? Jack it up and see if there is a high spot or does it wobble from side to side. If there is no run out or out of round, look elsewhere.
    Also, tire weights on the inside ONLY may not balance a tire/wheel assembly. There is a difference between single and dual plane balancing. Weights on both sides of the wheel are sometimes necessary to achieve true dynamic balancing.
    A bunch of badmouthing is given to the tires. Wheels can be a contributing factor to out of balance and out of round conditions. I went thru 9, yes nine, 16" wheels before I got 4 that didn't have run out and imbalance.
    Anything in the rotating assembly can cause out of balance conditions. Improper pre-load on the wheel bearings can cause vibrations that can be interpreted as an imbalance condition but truly isn't.
    Brake drums can be out of balance.
    Also all tire shops are not created equal. Some folks know how to interpret their balancing machine and others don't
    There is no silver bullet
    Good luck and let us know

Stogy, modified and john worden like this.
  17. modified

modified

As Stogy says, I'm the third owner of this car with 10 year old tires!
    I just called Coker and they won't cover them under warranty. Ownership, age, flat spots, etc.
    I didn't figure they would!

Stogy likes this.
  18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wind Up that is the whole kitten caboodle in one paragraph. It is a crap-shoot finding good service these days. If you find it great if you don't it costs the same and you buy more tires...not good.

winduptoy and modified like this.
  19. modified

modified

winduptoy and Stogy like this.
  20. A Boner

A Boner

Too bad that even if you buy 4 new tires, there is no guarantee that your bouncing down the road problems would be over. That would be just too easy!

modified, lurker mick and Stogy like this.
  21. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

Heat the weights with a heat gun to soften the adhesive and pry carefully and slowly with a plastic tool.
    Remaining adhesive will come off using some paint safe solvent.
    If they were put on fresh paint you will probably pull off some paint.

46international, modified and Stogy like this.
  22. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are good news stories... @car doctor...anxiously waiting for your reply to question on spin balancing after shaving...;)

modified likes this.
  23. I had a problem with bias- plys on my '30 coupe and at the time I lived in Kannapolis, NC, I always dealt with "Towel City Retread" they have been around forever, they even still had they're old pie crust molds in the back, some of you may know them for they're Piecrust tire they now sell, and I asked about shaving mine and the old man (nice man, can't remember his name) told me that it wouldn't help because bias plys flat spot after sitting as little as 24 hours after driving and always would, once they heat up they drive like they should, and they did. Just saying.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
    modified likes this.
  24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You could bite all the knubs off the new tires in suspense waiting for the first drive...:D

modified likes this.
  25. ... so based on my experience with Deluxe C's, which seem to provide an average thread life of 20-25K miles and assuming your ride doesn't have any underlying chassis/suspension problems, you should be golden with a new, fresh set every 4-5 years or so and always under warranty. ;)

Stogy likes this.
  26. car doctor

car doctor

I spun balanced the tires at my shop and it shook like crazy from
    55 and up. The one tire looked egg shaped when it was on my balancer. I took them to a shop that could shave them and I couldn't believe the difference. It's a pleasure to drive now, no shake or shimmy at all. I noticed also when they rebalanced them it hardly took any amount of wheel weight at all.

27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm going through some motions here and yes a purchase of new tires is a probable vision forthcoming. Thing about my mileage quoted is probably high. My ride is a jalopy is the truest sense with chev tranny and 36 ford speedo and tire sizes perhaps adding to the inaccuracy of the mileage.
    Okay thats great they did lead weighting after shave but it was lesser which makes total sense. Was it a tire off or tire on shave machine there are many types?

modified likes this.
  28. car doctor

car doctor

Tire and wheel off machine.

modified and Stogy like this.
  29. modified

modified

Very true my friend!

30. It might sound like b.s. but this is the honest truth. I had a similar situation on my coupe. The tire were spin balanced twice and both times checked out Good. My son told me to have them load balanced. There is a shop close by that has a hunter brand balancer that can do the job. A roller applies pressure to the tire as it's spun. They said the tires were junk. I called Coker and their response was get a load balance print out. That's the only way they would sent replacement tires. The new tires cured the problem.

46international, modified and Stogy like this.