Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Tire to body clearance crossply Lowered 28 tudor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kiwi 4d, Jul 22, 2017.

1. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We are planning the frame on a 28 tudor with an approx 6" Z frame in the rear with a 34 rear x member and spring to keep it lower. We are running a converted banjo rear axle on a buggy spring with 750x16 crossplies . Just trying to accertain an acceptable tire to body clearance to calculate the finished rear axle width. The tire will be approx halfway up between wheel arch and body beltline. It wont be bagged as it not correct . We just want to allow for body roll etc. is 1" 1/2 too close. Its a compromise to not have the rear look too wide to be cartoony and practical ride.
    4" dropped I beam and a mild Y block ford.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sure dont want the Firestones rubbing the paint.

3. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I'd think at lest 2 inches would be good, but don't know for sure. I'm facing a similar situation, but I don't think I can finger it all out until I get the wheels and tires I want in order to mock-it all up (perhaps even with a dummy pipe axle that is adjustable for width?). Unfortunately, the last guy I asked about axle widths on his lowered A coupe (it looked great!) couldn't remember the diff's hub to hub width off the top of his head... and so I didn't see any reason to ask more about rim widths or the tire's cross section widths, either. Hopefully you can get someone to chime-in with all those details, and if their tires rub at all. How much vertical travel do you plan to have? That might also be good to know IVO axle tilt on bumps, too. Gary

4. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We dont want to cut out the wheel well area before we make the rear axle . So we are making it difficult for ourselves to measure. But at present we thought we could make a frame to hold the wheels vertical where we want them for clearance then roll the body away , the body is off the frame.
    Rear travel is still open for discussion 3" would probably be max. Most likely tube shocks or early lever action ones .

5. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

What are you using for the diff positioning ? Ladder bars? 4 link? Stock wish bones?

For example if your using 4 link with panard rod you could probably run tighter clearances due to less side flex in the components.

6. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We will be using a 48 pickup side housings and 35 36 split wish bones mounted inboard slightly to clear the model A frame due to the significant rear Z. Hanging on a 34 rear spring and matching 34 rear crossmember.
    4 link and coil overs are not in this recipe. Pahard bar could be featured. A torque arm will be used as we are running open drive to a T5.